Called Congressmen/Senator's offices

sunjoshi

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I've been busy on the phone the past week and half. Even the secy at the congressman's office recognized me this time!!!!

I just talked with congressman Tom Price (GA-R) office and the immigration lead talked with me for over 30 minutes.

I explained him all the problems (I never went it the direction of the "total immigration reform bills"), some of which he already knew, many of which was news to him. he listened very patiently. His suggestions:

1. Encourage ALL of the affected people to CALL. Every call is MONITORED by the offices and LOGGED. Congressman goes through the logs periodically and based on the complaint volumes, PRIORITIZES issues he wants to address.

2. Currently, not many people have complained about this issue. He suggested people calling/faxing multiple times without hesitation. We pay taxes and are entitled to be heard (those were HIS words).

3. Not only talk about the issues and just whine about it, PROPOSE viable solutions (such as recapturing visa numbers unused, having only one visa number per primary applicant etc). He started mentioning lack of funds and resources, for which I said the guys in EB 1/2/3 categories won't mind paying a few extra dollars, if that's what is needed. He wrote down those suggestions. He agreed some of the suggestions were reasonable.

He has promised to follow-up with me on the issue (took my contact info), and encouraged me to call him ANYTIME I had new thoughts or concerns.

Guys. DO YOUR BIT PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

DON'T CALL REGIONAL OFFICES ( they know very little). Don't worry about long distance calls and call the washington offices. That's where work gets done!!.

Question, pls feel free to send me a note.

Oh Forgot to mention.

While on the phone i walked him through some of the forums here as well as isnamerica.org

Great job, sunjoshi!!

As congressman's office mentioned, senator/congressman monitor logs and prioritizes issues based on complaint volumes. So please...please...call them for your own good future. Also call to senate judiciary committee members.

Can you provide the numbers please

Sunjoshi...I think it will help a lot if you spoonfeed the lot here. Can you provide a list of numbers and names to call. That will go a logn way.

Thanks,

Santosh

Contact Info

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt?command=congdir

Go to the above link and choose a state, and hit Go. You will get the names of all senators and congressmen from your state. Click on the name, you will get phone/email etc. Please call EACH of them.

In addition to calling, if you click on the email, it will guide you through a step-by-step process of sending a note. You can copy/paste the matter and send it to ALL of them.

After my initial post on here, I got calls from 3 more congressmen's offices (I had left VMs). I am glad I had an easy day at work today, so I was able to speak with these people. Every one of them were appreciative of my call, and have agreed to follow-up and call me back for suggestions/comments etc.

There seem to be too many nay-sayers here. Calling and sending emails will take less than 2 hours (even if you think it is not worth it). I am sure everyone can spare the time which you may spend in walmart anyway!

Good job guys...

Excellent job people....Keep calling. Just in case you needed some standard wordings, take a loot this attachment. You are free to modify/delete/rewrite things as you see fit.

Thanks,
Senthil

Contact info here!

Here is the contact info for the Senate Judiciary Committee, Happy faxing and phoning till Tuesday!

Ranking member supports!!

Today, I've called each and every member of the Judiciary committee and explained them our problems and proposals.

They are atleast listening!!

BTW: to every senators office I asked " What is the senator's official position on this issue?". Every one said, he doesn't have one yet, EXCEPT the ranking member Leahy. Leahy's immigration head Tara Maneger said the senator SUPPORTS the proposal!

Fabulous work by sunjoshi!!

Others, please call senate judiciary members too! Calling them is the best way of communication as there are chances that they misunderstand our request.

Again great job, sunjoshi!!

Senator Kyl on CSPAN

In view of the proposed discussion of immigration bill this week, sen Kyl was on CSPAN taking live callers.

Unfortunately my call did not go thru. I tried for 30 mins. Every call was directed towards illegal immigration issues (no surprise). I was hoping one of us would get thru and atleast raise our concerns.

Just a note for all readers here : Watch CSPAN this week, and whenever there is an opportunity, please make a call (they will show the numbers on the screen) and raise the concerns of legal immigration. CSPAN is a very good and important forum for such issues. Lot off people ay attention to it (including politicians).

Excellent work Sunjoshi! You did something about the issue while rest of us kept crying. We are proud of you. We should all write/call our “Senators” and the “Senate Judiciary Committee”. Please try not to use the templates posted in this thread word to word, everyone should write their own unique letters explaining the frustration and sufferings. Please try to be positive and hopeful in your letters/calls.

A Movement has started

Folks,

You must have seen this elsewhere. There is a lobbying group that's writing letters to senators etc. trying to bring their attention to the EB2/EB3 retrogression. I wish there was another petition for name check issues.

I've enclosed their link which talks about what each of us can do in that regard. Please do your bit ASAP. Time is of the essence here. It is due by Oct 23.

************************************************** ************************************************** *********

Go to the following link:
http://www.isnamerica.org/lobbying/hubplan.asp

Here, you will see the faq and description in the
folder to explain what to do.

Basically it is for everyone to print and sign the
letters and mail them to the hub volunteer. The hub
volunteer will collect and mail the letters out to
the senators on Oct 23. So please forward to as many
people as you k! now and
sent out the letters as soon
as possible to avoid postal delay.

Each person will send out 4 letters:
* 2 letters to the senators of your state: 2 copies
of
1A_Letter_GC_Filed.doc or
1B_Letter_GC_Not_Yet_Filed.doc
* 1 letter to AILA: 2_Letter_AILA.doc
* 1 generic letter: 3_Letter_Industrial_Leaders.doc

The HUB_DETAILS.xls has the postal address of your
hub volunteer and also the names of the senators of
each stat

Immigration pushed off until January 2006

** See this from another thread**

Does it mean the end for the 'budget bill' that talked about interim reliefs like increase in visa numbers, allowing filing for I-485 for pending I-140 etc. Does anyone know??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chertoff vows illegal immigration crackdown

Homeland Security chief says it will end prevalent ‘catch and release' policy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9738812/
WASHINGTON - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff promised Tuesday to end the “catch and release” policy that has allowed tens of thousands of non-Mexican illegal aliens to disappear within the United States.

“Return every single illegal entrant — no exceptions,” Chertoff said in prepared testimony to a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on proposals to overhaul the immigration system.

Chertoff was joined by Labor Secretary Elaine Chao in presenting administration views on the illegal immigrant problem. He said President Bush remains committed to a comprehensive approach including gaining control of the border, enforcing workplace laws and establishing a temporary worker program.

Immigration issues will be pushed off

On Monday, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a leading proponent of changing immigration policy, said the Judiciary Committee, now occupied with Supreme Court nominations and other issues, won’t put together an immigration bill until at least January.
That would push the politically sensitive issue into an election year, adding another factor of difficulty in getting a bill through Congress.

Leaders in both the House and Senate have suggested taking up a more narrow bill this year that concentrates on beefing up enforcement, leaving the tougher issue of reforming the system for a later day.

Chertoff said that the nearly 900,000 Mexicans who are caught entering United States every year are returned immediately to Mexico, “but other parts of the system have nearly collapsed under the weight of numbers.”

In the budget year that ended last month, the Border Patrol apprehended more than 160,000 non-Mexican nationals, but only 30,000 were removed from the United States. The others were released, often on their own recognizance, because there is no place to hold them. Few return for immigration hearings, he said.

Some progress do-able

Chertoff said it is should be possible to achieve significant progress in reversing that policy in less than a year, noting that his department’s budget for fiscal 2006 includes $90 million in new money to add hundreds of beds. He said his agency also plans to expand use of an expedited removal program that could cut the average time in detention from 90 to 45 days.

Cornyn, in prepared remarks, agreed that Congress must approve more money to enforce immigration law and make substantive changes to existing laws so the Homeland Security Department can quickly remove illegal aliens.

But he also said there must be improved avenues for legal immigration.

Bush last year expressed support of a guest worker program, but lawmakers are divided over whether people already working in this country illegally should be allowed to stay.

Cornyn and Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., are sponsoring a bill that would give illegal immigrants five years to leave the country, but allow them to return through legal channels, including a guest worker program.

Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., back a bill that would let illegal immigrants apply for a temporary work visa for up to six years, after which they must return home or apply for permanent residency.

I got the same response from one of the senator's office that our issue may not be taken up till next year.

but next year is only couple more months. Hang tight :D

we have to stop supporting BILLS, without knowing their content

today i got a letter from Richard shelby, senator Alabama., he is surprised that i had written to him supporting Mccain and kennedy bill.

I think republicans are strongly opposed to such bills, we have to be careful since in the current situation we support anything where there is a immigration word..

once someone had suggested in one of these forums to support mccain bill, and i sent a letter, but now i realise that the bill as a whole, is totally wrong.

we have to be very diligent when raising our voice in future.

another thing....i am afraid that we may be used by people who know our weakness....for promoting their own purpose....