california dmv destroyed my certificate of citizenship before I even got a passport.

dudnaito

Registered Users (C)
When I arrived in California from Georgia, one of the first things I did was hang out with some old friends. We went to Six Flags where my wallet was promptly stolen. The only picture i.d. that i had by that point was my certificate of citizenship (btw, not naturalization, citizenship), and i needed to get a California driver's license. The lady after i took my test took it and said she needed to get a copy of it, so she took it, then told me that i would get it via mail with my driver's license. I know... tremendously naive. I was really tired that day after starting my new job, so i wasn't thinking straight.

Suffice it to say that i never got it back, and when i called several people eventually even talking with the director of the CA DMV, they said that unfortunately and definitely against protocol the certificate was destroyed. They promised to pay for the cost of getting a replacement certificate and they'll also pay for my passport. They also got me an inspector who'll try to speak with Homeland Security to expedite the replacement process... Unfortunately, for a month now, nothing has been done.

I'm planning on leaving the country and heading to Korea at the end of December in the 24th or so for nearly a year because of a job, and I absolutely must have a passport by that point. I called Passport and they told me that if I have the receipt for the replacement certificate along with some letters from USCIS or so that i'm sure to procure with the help of the DMV, I should be able to get a temporary passport for a year until I get a permanent one.

This is what i wrote down what the passport people told me.

a. Letter from immigration or court of naturalization that shows my name dob certificate number date and place of naturalization. Request that verification letter is sealed on an envelope. Contact ins freedom of information division officer at local immigration office to receive the verification.
b. Receipt for replacement certificate
c. Statement explaining how it was destroyed.

I just think it's a peculiar situation that i was wondering if someone else went through.

Hi dudnaito,

I would suggest that you post this message also on the naturalization forum. I think you have a tough mountain to climb. At least the passport agency is showing some flexibility. I think freedom of information requests with USCIS take forever. I am not sure if they have a phone. The point is I don't know how you can get sealed envelope. I would try as suggested, perhaps an Infopass to the local office might help. Basically, this portion I have no idea how to do (your point a).

For your point b I think you need to file a N-565 with the corresponding fee to either Nebraska or Texas service center depending on the State you live. This is also going to take several months unless DMV can help you expedite. You need to file N-565, DMV can't do anything about USCIS issuing you a new certificate, it isn't that easy. However, they might provide you with supporting document and perhaps some pressure to expedite your case. The only good thing is that you should get the receipt in the mail in a few days, a couple of weeks at most.
c. That I guess you have to fill out and sign.

Bottom line is that your trip in December looks quite tough to achieve. You definitely can get the receipt for the N-565 quickly enough. I am not sure about the sealed envelope.

Make sure once everything is straightened out that you get both a passport and a passport card, in case you lose one you still have the other to obtain any other document. Keep them at different safe places if possible.

well... it's either that or i can prove my citizenship by getting my dad's original naturalization certificate, my korean birth certificate, and proof of admission to the United States for permanent residence.

The last part i don't get. I clearly don't have my passport from when i was 4 years old nor do i have my green card since USCIS took that when they gave me my certificate of citizenship. How do i have prove my admission to the US for permanent residence??? I'm 24 and i came in at 1988 at 4 years old!

Last edited by a moderator:
For passport purposes it should be the Green Card, or a passport with a stamp. As you say, USCIS took your Green Card and I am pretty sure they won't stamp you a passport as you are a citizen. Isn't it funny how bureaucracy can get so complicated? Anyway, you might check with the passport agency and perhaps there are other proof of admission as a permanent resident they might take. Perhaps USCIS can issue you a sealed envelope saying that you were a permanent resident after a certain date. If you can achieve that you might obtain your passport. However, didn't you change name during naturalization? Perhaps I am getting things mixed up.

However you should have the consular report of birth abroad. This together with some official ID from korea such as a passport should suffice to apply for your U.S. passport.

However you should have the consular report of birth abroad. This together with some official ID from korea such as a passport should suffice to apply for your U.S. passport.

The poster is not a US citizen at birth. He immigrated to the US when he was 4 with his family. So he does not qualify for a consular report of birth abroad.

This is why I keep my passport card in a safe. Never got lost/stolen and in ase like this I have no problems.

The poster is not a US citizen at birth. He immigrated to the US when he was 4 with his family. So he does not qualify for a consular report of birth abroad.

He was a USC at birth that's why he has the certificate of citizenship based on his father's status at the time he was born.

I wish dudnaito would come back to this thread and update us of what happened. An Internet search for dudnaito certificate throws a different story in which the certificate itself was stolen. I have to say it sounds strange. Overall it seems his experience was: N-400 rejected because already being a citizen, applied for N-600? Certificate of citizenship either destroyed by DMV or stolen depending on what story one wants to believe. The most important question is why have we unearthed this dead thread? ;)