CA: Unemployment Insurance for spouse

appvdH1b

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

I am the primary beneficiary of GC. My spouse had applied for GC as my dependent. We have applied for I485 last July have completed FP and awaiting approval. My wife was layed off recently. She does have her valid EAD. Is it possible to apply for Unemployment Insurance to EDD for her? Will that affect her or my GC since she has been mentioned in my affidavit of support?

Has anybody applied for Unemployment Insurance for the dependents, what is your experience? Please share, it is appreciated very much

Thanks

same case for me

Yes you can, as long as you have the A# , you can claim benifits from EDD. My wife has been receving unemployment cheques.

unemployement insurance for spouse...

You are not suppose to get the benefit before approval of your GC. That only means you are contradicting your affidavit of support. If you take the benefit INS think as a "public charge" and may result into denying of your GC. Take legal advice from a lawyer before you act. This is very important issue and dont neglect.

EDD checks with INS before approving

The EDD checks with the INS before approving a unemployment insurance for all non-US citizens. AS long as you are allowed to work for any empolyer in this country (i.e with a valid EAD card ), there is no issue with claiming umemployment insurance. But it is prundent to ask your lawyer before applying. I had done the same.

My Lawyer says its okay, but....

98PD_waiting/Johny/picachu thanks for responding. I talked to my lawyer she says its okay as far as INS is concerned to receive UI. But I have not seen one case where the GC has been approved/disapproved after a secondary beneficiary has applied for UI. Have any of you seen a case like that?

Johny Lever: I am talking about the affidavit of support that I gave for my wife so she can apply as seconday beneficiary to me in GC application..

So any other thoughts?

Where I have to apply for UI ? I mean wich department ? Any web links ?

I will be out of job in few weeks, as my company is closing on 28th Feb.
I have completed 180 days & have a valid EAD.
I have done with FP and waiting for approval now.

Am I eligible for UI ?

Thanks.
sd

Without prior job we cannot apply UI

As per the CA website,

we cannot apply UI for our spouse with with only reason that she have a EAD. To apply, she must worked earlier and got terminated.

mrafi

sdvidwan,

You must check with your lawyer whether it is a good idea for you to apply for UI. See the reason is, *if* you are the principal beneficiary of GC application then you will definetly will be in trouble since INS expects you to have a job for GC approval.

It could be a different case for spouses (secondary beneficiary) who got laid off..

Just my 2cents

Burden tax payers even before greencard.....sounds greaaaaaaaaat.

How about a 54 inch TV and beer along with welfare check?

UI is not welfare

As the name says, it is an insurance. Your company has paid the premium for it while you worked there, and so when the
time comes, you must claim it. It is your right, and the government is not doing you a favor by giving it
to you.

No, but my wife was going to

So I looked up the EDD web page to get some idea. Anyway, then she
got a new job, and our GC also got approved; so we did not worry about
this any more.

yes, UI is insurance claim, not welfare!

UI is an insurance claim. the premium has been paid by your employer when you worked for them. when you get laid off, you can claim this insurance for upto 6 months. this is different from welfare and SS benefits. same as you making insurance claims for car, property etc. this will NOT affect your GC approval.