Business on EAD for dependant

Jeetu_recruiter

Registered Users (C)
Hello Experts!
Me and my wife have EAD. I am on H1B status still and we want to start a business retail/IT related in my wife's name. I am the primary applicant and my wife's i485 is filed as a dependant.
Any problems in starting this business in her name. Is it better to start it in her name and not in mine as the line of work in business is different as compared to my full time job.
Advice from RealCanadian, Ginnu, UnitedNations, grunggy and other experts will be highly appreciated.

Since you both have an EAD, you could start it in either persons name. Bear in mind that if you start it in your name, or if you work for the company, then you will lose your H1-B status. (Since you would have to use your EAD to do this).

Starting a business, or even getting a second part time job with an EAD does not have to be in the same occupation as your primary GC job. You could go flip burgers part-time at McDonalds if you like.

Regards and best of luck in your endeavor.

Rav

thanks ravioli for your comments we are planning to start the business in my wife's name as she is the dependant for the I485 application bcos

1. It is always safer to do it in the secondary applicant's name as if the principal applicant has a 2nd source of income/business CIS might raise lot of doubts while I485 approval

2. Also my wife is continuing to work for her H1 sponsoring employer and even though she has used EAD for running the business Murthy seems to suggest that since she continues to receive paystubs from the H1B sponsoring employer she can switch back to H1B from EAD w/o leaving the country. So inother words a person can have EAD and H1B status

Any comments from gurus would be appreciated on the above

As a note, I started a business on an EAD (I am the primary applicant) and have since received my GC without issue.

Regards

Rav