Bringing my car back to Canada

mapleleaf15

Registered Users (C)
Hi

So I am moving back to Canada after my one year visa expires in a few weeks. I had imported by Cdn Honda Civic into the US when I moved here and done all the proper procedures. So now that I am bringing my car back across the border, what are the procedures for that? I am hoping that it will be somewhat of a simple process because it was already registered in Canada previously.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

So I am moving back to Canada after my one year visa expires in a few weeks. I had imported by Cdn Honda Civic into the US when I moved here and done all the proper procedures. So now that I am bringing my car back across the border, what are the procedures for that? I am hoping that it will be somewhat of a simple process because it was already registered in Canada previously.

Thanks in advance!

I called ahead and asked they told me there will be no tax to re-import into Canada. That was awhile ago, back in 2006

Once I was at the border, the guy took more than 30 min and came back and gave me the receipt of few thousands dollars (don't remember how much was it) for 2004 honda civic.

I told him that the car was originally purchased from Canada and then he said yeah thats why I took the $10000 out from the original price. poor guy.

I said I called and confirmed it should be tax free.

then he took another 30 min and went back in and then came back and gave me the papers to take it to MoT.

HTH.

Thanks Shyboy.

I called the border this morning and was told that as long as i have proof that the car was bought in canada and previously registered in canada, everything should be be fine and i wont have to pay a tax.