• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Boyfriend received NL, I didnt

cacio

Registered Users (C)
Apologies if this question has been asked already. I did a search but couldn't find an answer.

My boyfriend received his NL today. I have applied to and so far have not received anything.

If he is successful and gets a green card, would I be able to get on too on his application if we are engaged?

When do we need to notify the embassy?

Should he put me down on his form that he needs to return to KCC?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm unsure about what to do.
We've been together 5 years and have plans to get married but we're not already.

Thanks

Hey Cacio,

Congratulations!
As far as I know, you can't go with him if you're 'only' engaged. You two have to be married in order for you to receive a green card as well. Who knows, you might be lucky and receive a notification letter all your own. ;)
By the way, could you please tell us where he received his notification, the date on the letter/envelope and the reference number in the letter.
Thanks!

It'd be so much easier if I got my NL too!

We're in Ireland. He received it today and it was dated 5th May 2009.

I'm wishing with all my strength that I get one soon as I'm the one who really wants to go!

If we got married when he got the GC would I be allowed over? Or would we have to be married before his application ends?

If we got married when he got the GC would I be allowed over? Or would we have to be married before his application ends?

Technically if you get married after your boyfriend gets his GC, He can sponsor you to come to the U.S. But, the procedure takes a long time because it is considered non priority immigrant by the U.S Government. The other option is to wait until he gets his U.S Citizen in 5 years, then sponsor you to come to the U.S.

Both of these options are not recommended unless you're willing to be separated with your boyfriend for a long period of time. The best way is to get married before his application ends. This will ensure that both of you get the GC and come to the U.S as a couple.

But be very careful. Getting married after your boyfriend is selected to receive a DV visa will cause suspicion by the Consular. Just make sure the wedding is legit, with proper paperwork and a lot of pictures as proof.

Please find the attachment of an example which I retrieved from other thread. Hope it can help you out.

Thanks for the help.

At least we have an idea now of the process and what happens.

There's so much information on this forum it's hard to process what's relevant and what's not.

I'll keep you updated if anyone's interested.

Do you really expect to win also? I would give you the strong advice to marry asap if you wann life the next 5 years with your friend. Remeber, if you got married after he got the GC it is most likely that they deny you any visa to enter the U.S. when he stays there!

Hi Cacio,

I'm in the same situation as you. Well, but I have not won the lottery, at least I haven't received the notification yet. I'm not married to my significant other, she's been my gf for more than 5 years now, but we are not married. I was worried about what could happen if I won the lottery, since only wives/husbands are allowed to be included, not girlfriends/boyfriends. So I made a phone call to KCC and they explained it very clearly to me. You have to get married immediately and notify KCC about it. Of course, you have to do it well in advance of the interview at the Embassy. If you do that, everything will be OK. The representative I spoke with at KCC assured me that many people did that every year, get married right after receiving the winning notification but BEFORE the interview at the Embassy. Good luck and congratulations!

Hi Cacio,

I'm in the same situation as you. Well, but I have not won the lottery, at least I haven't received the notification yet. I'm not married to my significant other, she's been my gf for more than 5 years now, but we are not married. I was worried about what could happen if I won the lottery, since only wives/husbands are allowed to be included, not girlfriends/boyfriends. So I made a phone call to KCC and they explained it very clearly to me. You have to get married immediately and notify KCC about it. Of course, you have to do it well in advance of the interview at the Embassy. If you do that, everything will be OK. The representative I spoke with at KCC assured me that many people did that every year, get married right after receiving the winning notification but BEFORE the interview at the Embassy. Good luck and congratulations!

What about returning the forms with the NL?
Should her boyfriend just list himself there and then notify KCC in a few months that they're married, or should he include her on the forms and say that they will be married in six months or so?

What about returning the forms with the NL?
Should her boyfriend just list himself there and then notify KCC in a few months that they're married, or should he include her on the forms and say that they will be married in six months or so?

There is no such thing as option of "will be married." So, the the choices of filling the form is either married or single.

If they got married before he send the forms to KCC, state married on the form.

If they got married after he send the forms to KCC, state single on the form and informed KCC about change in marital status when they got married.

There is no such thing as option of "will be married." So, the the choices of filling the form is either married or single.

If they got married before he send the forms to KCC, state married on the form.

If they got married after he send the forms to KCC, state single on the form and informed KCC about change in marital status when they got married.

Thanks for this.

But:
1. Should we ring now and say we're engaged and will be married before or will we just wait until we're married.

2. If we had a wedding planned for next year would that make a difference or do we still have to get married before the interview?

3. People say to have lots of photos but if it was just a registry office wedding with only one/two witness would that be sufficient?

They are not interested in the information that you are engaged and plan to marry. No marriage certificate, no need to send any papers from you, no visa for you. Very easy.

They are not interested in the information that you are engaged and plan to marry. No marriage certificate, no need to send any papers from you, no visa for you. Very easy.

That's true. They need your proofs. That is the certificate of marriage, photos, letter, etc. and they will search for your real proofs behind at the time of interview.

Further investigation if a marriage is genuine is not very common for most European countries, except some from the eastern part.