Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

Hi all,

i just had my interview done. It went very well and i passed it. After that immigration officer asked me questions about my application, which i answered correctly. He asked me to sign on photos, and on n-400 form, then he signed on the form himself. Once he was done he told me that he is waiting for some file from the service center. He told me that he only has my n-400 application, so he told me that you should be receiving the decision in mail. I asked him about if i should worry about anything. He said no, you should recieve your oath letter in about 30 days. But he gave me a form which says that i have passed the interview but the decision has not been made.

I am confused and worried, since i have never moved anywhere. What does this mean?

Many thanks...

Dont worry. I had the same situation. My finger prints expired, so he re scheduled me for new finger printing, and told me that , once i finish my finger printing i will get my Oath letter in 6 weeks means 42 days.He gave me a letter stating that decision can not be made. But i got my Oath letter exactly on my 90 eth day. I actually started to get worried , and made an appoint ment with Info pass. But i got the letter before i went to the appointment.
So dont worry, Hope fully you will get your letter in 30 days, but dont be surprise if it takes 90 day. Good luck
The next oath in Boston is on Aug 26 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi bigbull99 why had your fingerprints expired. I checked some online resource and it said the fingerprints were good up to 15 months

My wife and I were interviewed on April 14, 2010 and both were recommended for approval. She got her oath letter for Aug. 26 within a week but I have not received mine so far. My officer said that they are arranging a special ceremony in June and I should expect oath in June. When I called the 800 number they said that I should expect an interview letter since I am in the "testing and interview" stage. LOL!

After scanning the last several posts, it looks like Boston oath ceremonies are scheduled every two weeks on a Thursday @ Faneuil hall. I called Faneuil hall and they confirmed that USCIS has rented out the hall for the whole year to conduct oath ceremonies twice a month.

So far, I have seen Aug 12 and Aug 26 as next oath dates. The question is why has USCIS not scheduled anyone in June or July in Boston? Also, is anyone else waiting for an oath letter?

LaborApproved, I have my oath date on June 10th in Worcester. However I had a 3.5 month wait since my Feb 22nd interview date.

Interview - Done

First of All, I would like to thank JPBoston and Bigbull99 for their great responses as well as everybody else for posting their experience or timelines.

I had my interview on friday, 5.7.2010. Most of the time was spent on waiting for my turn to be called.

First thing first: Civics Test.
1) What is the rule of Law?
2) How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
3) What happened in Sept. 11, 2001?
4) What do we call the first ten amendments to the constitution?
5) why does the flag have 13 Stripes?
6) which Ocean is on the west coast of United States?

Reading Test: How Many US senators are there?
Writing: There are 100 Senators.

On the 2nd part of the interview happened in E-170, The AO verified all the information on the form. I had traffic tickets but checked NO on the form. I told AO that i have tickets and not sure if i should have checked Yes. She said have you paid fines and i said yes. She noted about the tickets on my form but didn't bother to look at the payment receipts. Said that citation question was not for traffic violations. Rest was just Yes NO answers. At the end, AO said you have been approved, congratulations :) Gave me a form with You passed the History Test and Congratulations your application has be recommended for approval. I had to wait outside for few minutes to sign the pictures. AO said the next oath ceremony will be in September. Any date before that are all filled up.

It seems like have to wait 4 and half months for the oath. How long does it take to get the oath letter? Have anyone got the same response from AO's. i even asked if there is any earlier oath date other than Boston and response was no.

Once again, thanks to all for your post and can't wait for that oath letter and the oath ceremony.

Application sent 2/3
Interview Date 5/7

vijayudas, congratulations on your success and it looks like everything went smoothly for you. I suspect we may have even had the same IO interviewing us both because her response was exactly what my IO (Ms. Rodriguez) told me. Yeah regarding the oath date, my only advice is that you try to be patient as you wait it out ... even though one can become pretty impatient being so close yet seemingly so far from the goal. So they did not give your oath letter after the interview? It seems to be a new process because I got mine same day after writing my name on the photos after my interview.

Hi

I actually started my application in California. I had my finger prints taken in Feb 2009. I had to move to Boston in June 2009 for my new job, so i did not go for my interview, I had to transfer my file to MA. By the time i got my interview in Boston it was Feb 2010. The officer told me that the next oath is in May and August, By then my finge rprints will be expired. He told me that the finger prints are good only for 15 mts. So I got re- finger printed on Feb 16 2010.

vijayudas, congratulations on your success and it looks like everything went smoothly for you. I suspect we may have even had the same IO interviewing us both because her response was exactly what my IO (Ms. Rodriguez) told me. Yeah regarding the oath date, my only advice is that you try to be patient as you wait it out ... even though one can become pretty impatient being so close yet seemingly so far from the goal. So they did not give your oath letter after the interview? It seems to be a new process because I got mine same day after writing my name on the photos after my interview.

JPBoston, its not Ms. Rodriguez that i had as AO, forgot her name now but seems like they are similar minded. Yes i was surprised too that they didn't give me the oath letter same day. But in all fairness, I saw nobody was receiving oath letter so might be process change at Boston DO. Nice old lady on the counter said, you might get it within a month or 2. I didn't worry because as AO said it might in Sept that i will have my oath. It would have been nice to get it that day rather than do usaual "Waiting" work. :).

Will I be in Lawrence or Boston field office

Hi all, I just filed my N400 form 3 weeks back, how do I know where I will be fingerprinted/interviewed Boston or Lawrence? I like about 15 miles North of Boston in Woburn. Thanks,
Polly

Hi all, I just filed my N400 form 3 weeks back, how do I know where I will be fingerprinted/interviewed Boston or Lawrence? I like about 15 miles North of Boston in Woburn. Thanks,
Polly

You will receive a notice in the mail indicating when and where your fingerprinting will take place. In all probability, you will have it at the ASC in downtown Boston.

Fingerprinting

You will receive a notice in the mail indicating when and where your fingerprinting will take place. In all probability, you will have it at the ASC in downtown Boston.

Thank you JP!

What is the procedure for going early in Boston? I have not gotten my notice for FP yet, but once I get it, can I walk in early, or should I call to get an early appointment. Thanks,
Polly

I have my interview this afternoon in Boston. Hope it goes well.

adobeexcess, I just showed up at the application support center for early fingerprint, as I was going to be out of town on the scheduled day. There was no one else waiting in the office and they just let me fingerprint immediately. Good luck.

I have my interview this afternoon in Boston. Hope it goes well.

adobeexcess, I just showed up at the application support center for early fingerprint, as I was going to be out of town on the scheduled day. There was no one else waiting in the office and they just let me fingerprint immediately. Good luck.

Thanks dm1, what time is early, 8:30am? God luck on your interview!

Completed the interview today. The actual process took about 20 minutes, but there was lot of waiting involved, taking almost 2 hrs. Civics/readin/writing test was straightforward. Then, I waited in another room for the actual interview. The IO went through most questions in the N-400 form, asked if I was ever arrested/charged. I said no, but clarified that I had a speeding ticket from 2002 (non-DUI and < $500). He asked if I had receipt of payment. I didn't, but I did have driving records from MA and CT (where I got the ticket). I told him that even CT's record did not show my ticket. He didn't mind. He just made copies of the driving record. He then made me print my complete name on N-400 (first, I signed my name, but he asked me to print full name). Finally, he gave me a paper which said "Congratulations, your case has been recommended for approval". He also stamped "APPROVED" in the file he had open. I was asked to wait outside. After a little while, the lady at the counter asked me to print my name on the photographs and told me that the oath letter will come in the mail. From the posts above, it looks like the oath may not happen before August.

Thanks everyone for your help.