Hello here is my timeline
N-400 Application sent(Priority date)- 09/23/09
FP Appointment rec'd -09/30/09
FP done-10/20/09
Interview Date- 12/09/09,re-scheduled as 5 years of green card not up
Re-scheduled to 01/19/10,passed
Oath letter recd- 01/21/10
Oath Date- 04/19/10
Not sure why the whole process took so long, and I have to wait 3 months for the oath, that is a quite long.

Taking roughly about 7 months to become a citizen in Boston, the processing in other Do's is very quick, 4 months...

Oath April 19th

Himesh,
For some reason the Lawrence office seems particularly slow with oaths. Several folks here that had their interview in Jan in Boston have oaths later in Jan or Early Feb. Lilke you my interview was in lawrence on 12/22 I got an oath date for March 4th. I was given the oath letter right after my interview.

Good Luck.

My wife completed her oathing today in LOWELL, MA after nearly waiting for 2 months and mine is next week
will catch you guys with more details latter today

oath delays in lawrence D0

Himesh,
For some reason the Lawrence office seems particularly slow with oaths. Several folks here that had their interview in Jan in Boston have oaths later in Jan or Early Feb. Lilke you my interview was in lawrence on 12/22 I got an oath date for March 4th. I was given the oath letter right after my interview.

Good Luck.

Thanks,I was thinking of contacting lawrence office for an earlier date, but I don't think it is going to make a difference..it might even be later than 19th april as supposed to sooner.

My N-400 timeline (Boston Area):

Mailed application on: December 2nd 2009
FP done on: Jan 4th 2010
Yellow letter received on: Jan 14th 2010
Interview date: March 3rd 2010

I've the same question - Do we need to take attested version of driving record?

do not spend for attested version

Goto RMV get a proof of payment copy information and it took only 5 minutes for me

get court disposition if anything get settled via them

Hi BostonCool, I wrote to RMV with that question - "how to prove I paid for citations", their response was "You need to call the Merit Rating Board at 617-351-4400 to get copies of the violations, etc.", so I called there, but they keep archive for 6 years only, i.e. my 8y.o traffic ticket is no longer there. I also called court, in which I tried to dispute my citation 7 years ago - but they do not keep small violations records for longer than one year. So I have no proof of payment, np court disposition, attested record is all I could get.

regards.

OIC, mine was 4 years old and a minor traffic violation and I went straight to Lawrence RMV a day before interview just to take a shot at it
at this point I would say ignore as it doesn't involve any arrests

Hi BostonCool, I wrote to RMV with that question - "how to prove I paid for citations", their response was "You need to call the Merit Rating Board at 617-351-4400 to get copies of the violations, etc.", so I called there, but they keep archive for 6 years only, i.e. my 8y.o traffic ticket is no longer there. I also called court, in which I tried to dispute my citation 7 years ago - but they do not keep small violations records for longer than one year. So I have no proof of payment, np court disposition, attested record is all I could get.

regards.

I have a traffic ticket from 12 years ago in Atlanta, GA and when I had a VA license. Since I no longer have any proof of citation payment, I tried a dozen calls to the VA RMV and to different departments in Atlanta but have not been successful in getting proof. Everyone purges your info after 5-7 years. I've decided to just take an attested copy of my MA driving record and will just state the facts that I don't have proof of payment for that one incident in Atlanta. I've got to think there the officer will be reasonable about it.

Well, I already put my citations info into N400 application, so I'll have to provide some explanations.

JPBoston, do they have driving record consept in GA?
There should be plenty of people like us, our cases are not unique and are not new to emigration officers, so they probably should have some common way to process cases like this. I also decided, that I did my best trying to get my proof, and I'll explain that at the interview. Good luck to you!

Well, I already put my citations info into N400 application, so I'll have to provide some explanations.

JPBoston, do they have driving record consept in GA?
There should be plenty of people like us, our cases are not unique and are not new to emigration officers, so they probably should have some common way to process cases like this. I also decided, that I did my best trying to get my proof, and I'll explain that at the interview. Good luck to you!

barseg, the problem is that I never had a GA driver's license and a GA driving record would be for someone who did. Like I had said, I had a VA license at the time of the incident and the VA DMV do not have me in their systems any more.

I did put down that 1998 accident on my N-400 application. In addition to my attested MA driving record, I plan to take a written statement of all GA and VA departments and numbers I had contacted trying to get my proof. I agree that there must be tons of people in our same boat and I just can't imagine a naturalization case being denied because the person could not furnish proof of payment/resolution. Especially since both of our incidents were so long ago. It may be viewed differently if these incidents were fairly recent. If anything, at least we were honest enough to mention the incidents in the application. Further, the FBI background check will surely reveal any outstanding warrants for things like unpaid citations, suspended licenses, etc.

DO: Boston, MA
Time line:
10/28/09 Applied for N-400 (5 year GC based)
11/18/09 Biometrics (Finger Prints)
12/31/09 Transfered to local office
1/2/10 Recd Letter for Interview
2/2/10 Interview @ Boston, MA
5/6/10 Oath Date @ Boston, MA
5/7/10 Applied for US Passport
5/17/10 Received US Passport (Expedited)

Here are my questions:
Who wrote Declaration of Independence?
Who is the Comm-in-Chief?
Which political party does he belong to?
Name the 2 major Political parties in USA
Name 2 states from the original 13 colonies?
Name a state bordering Mexico.

Reading: Who elects US Congress?
Writing: The People elect US Congress.

Good Luck to others!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stepping out of USA after interview and before oath

Hi,
Does anyone know if we can go outside of USA after the interview is through (approved) and before the oath was taken?

For example, my interview date is March 3rd 2010. If, after approving my N-400 application, my oath is scheduled for May 10th, can I travel to India on March 20th and come back on April 20th?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi,
Does anyone know if we can go outside of USA after the interview is through (approved) and before the oath was taken?

For example, my interview date is March 3rd 2010. If, after approving my N-400 application, my oath is scheduled for May 10th, can I travel to India on March 20th and come back on April 20th?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Yes you just need to inform them of your travel before oath.

For interviews at the JFK Building in Boston, what exactly are you allowed on your person when you go to the interview? Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of what is allowed and what isn't? I was wondering whether I would be allowed to bring my cell phone with me.