Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

My wife has interview on Feb 5 in Boston. We came earlier (7:40 vs 8:30) and start earlier.
The interview was two stages as mentioned by others. First civil questions and English. Then wait outsdie, wating for the second person for N-400 questions.
Then wait outside in waiting room for signing pictires and oath notice.
She changes her name. It looks that there is no difference when asking to change name in N-400.
I noticed that a lot people just left without waiting for signing picture and oath notice. Were they fail? The failure rate would be much higher than 10 %. Many people said passing rate was 90%?

Her piority day was April 24 2007.
FP a month later.
Oath is Feb 21

Thanks everybody for the inofrmation in this board.

newuscitizen - Congrats for finishing your interview well. Which date did you get for Oath?

I have a bad feeling about this. My guess is, that 'ML_Boston' is the luckiest person alive, because I suspect that the number of applications received on each day in July (aproaching the deadline) was exponentially larger. I imagine that the second half of July priority dates will seam like three months worth. On a happier note, I am alive and well. :)

My interview was at 9:30 on feb 6th. I reached early by 8:45. Was called in at 9:00 by first officer to conduct civics / english test. That was easy and done in 5 minutes. Then i was asked to wait in waiting area to be called in by another officer. With-in few minutes another officer invited me to her other office (which was surprisingly in area inside where we have info pass appointment). She went over questions from N-400. Since i had trips to canada beyond my application date, i took printout and gave it to her. I had no driving tickets as well but was never asked. No tax returns asked as well. Thats it she gave a paper marked as congragulations and recommend for approval. I asked if i can get earlier oath due to family emergency. She was kind enough to get me oath which was scheduled in afternoon at US District Court house. Thats it took oath at 12:30 ceremony with 100 others and done.

I Got My Il.....wohooo!

Dear Friends, My wife just called me to tell me that we have been scheduled for interview on March 31st. All those of you with PD around July 15th. Take heart, your turn is coming soon. I will post more information tonight from home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't do anything special to expedite.

Based on other posts here, my timeline from priority date to interview is 15 days earlier than April/May PDs were experiencing. But I also noticed relatively few late-May and June PD's on this forum (and a large number of July PDs).

Maybe Boston had its spike in applications later than other offices.

-ML

Application mailed - 7/3/2007
Application received - 7/9/2007
Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007
Notice received - 8/2/2007
Fingerprint appt notice - 8/2/2007
Fingerprint appt date - 8/23/2007
Interview letter received - 2/2/2008
Interview scheduled - 3/29/2008

ml_boston, I am going two days after you my online friend. Good luck to you!

I now have to start listening to that CD they gave us along with the booklet.

This is amazing. I think you guys are lucky because folks in april / march suffered big time with almost 5 months taking to process applications received in march / april.

newuscitizen,

Congrats on finishing the process... too bad you missed the primaries by a day.

Did they give you an initial oath date before you asked to reschedule? I'm trying to estimate oath timelines. It appears it's accelerating from 30 days to only 2 weeks.

Also, did you get documentation of citizenship at the oath ceremony? Or is it something that has to be applied for afterwards?

-ML

Application mailed - 7/3/2007
Application received - 7/9/2007
Priority date - 7/9/2007
Check cashed - 7/19/2007
Notice date - 7/27/2007
Notice received - 8/2/2007
Fingerprint appt notice - 8/2/2007
Fingerprint appt date - 8/23/2007
Interview letter received - 2/2/2008
Interview scheduled - 3/29/2008

Congratulations to those very lucky folks!

Another thing, just check on line, still showed "Current Status: Case received and pending..." I guess they never update online info after the figure print

Are the same people that work the cases, used to do the receipting? If so, this would explain why people with April/May priority dates got delayed some. They may have been paused to fix the receipting log jam.

Are the same people that work the cases, used to do the receipting? If so, this would explain why people with April/May priority dates got delayed some. They may have been paused to fix the receipting log jam.

No - data entry clerks conduct the initial receipting. Service center adjudicators and immigration information officers must look over the applications to verify the applicant is eligible before date entry takes place. Also these individuals are responsible for initiating back ground checks as well as scheduling interviews. However, since most of the adjudicators and IIOs were busy with completing the I-482 and accompanying EAD applications from July, they could not work on N-400 applications. They are legally bound to adjudicate EADs in 90 days. This is what held up all May, June, July and August applicants for the most part.

Please advise

Dear Friends, My wife's Indian Passport is expiring on March 23rd 2008. Our citizenship interview is on March 31st.

1. Should we get her passport renewed for some reason?
2. Is a valid Indian passport needed for Interview?
3. How long does it take to get the US passport from the interview date? I want to make sure we are covered in case we need to travel for some emergency reason.

I will be saving a trip to NYC and $90 for application fee if I don't have to do this right now. Moreover, the Indian passport will not be valid once we get the US passport.

Dear Friends, My wife's Indian Passport is expiring on March 23rd 2008. Our citizenship interview is on March 31st.

1. Should we get her passport renewed for some reason?
2. Is a valid Indian passport needed for Interview?
3. How long does it take to get the US passport from the interview date? I want to make sure we are covered in case we need to travel for some emergency reason.

I will be saving a trip to NYC and $90 for application fee if I don't have to do this right now. Moreover, the Indian passport will not be valid once we get the US passport.

I'd say renew it. As you mention yourself - it's always good to have a valid passport in case of emergency. You don't have to go to NYC, I did it by mail, and got it back in a few days. The Indian Embassy in NYC is very efficient - I've never been disappointed with their service in all my years here.