Boston Citizenship interview problem

roy_dude

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I had the citizenship interview yesterday (July 21, 2006) and had a problem.
I and had a traffic ticket in 1997, had a DUI in 1999, Grren card came in 2000. It has been almost 7 years now (since DUI) when I applied for the citizenship. I had received 90 days suspended license for the DUI and 350$ fine.

The INS person interviewing me asked lot of papers about the DUI, outcome etc and I provided her all the certified copies of the court disposition/police report etc (which I had anyways mailed with my N-400 application).

At the end of interview she handed me the N-652 form and said that my case would be reviewed by a supervisor since arrest is involved (for the DUI).
The N-632 form had the following checked

You passed the tests of English/US History and Goverment
INS Will send you a written decisison about your application
B) A decision cannot yet be made about your application

What shoud I do at this time ?

1) Wait for the result to come from the INS OR
2) Start search for a good immigration attorney in Boston area

Do you think if I have any chance of getting the citizenship
Does any one know Immigration attorneys in Boston area who specialize in this kind of problem and how much it may cost.

Thanks

roy_dude

You said your GC came in 2000, after DUI. Did you declare this during I485 ? If you did mention during I485 & now that you already past that point, I think you should be fine. If you had said NO for your I485, then chances are, your N400 is being reviewed. Be prepared to asnwer those questions.
Let know the outcome.

The GC came 5 months after the DUI incident. I had immediately informed my company attorney (employment based GC) about the whole incident (when DUI happened) and I believe he contacted my DUI attorney too. Both of them told me that this first DUI is a traffic violation in the state where it happened.

The I-485 was filed much before the DUI and now I am not sure if the attorney updated the already filed I-485. I have never had problem entering USA after getting the GC.

How much time would the INS take to inform me about the result ?.

Assuming INS denies my aplication,

1. can they deport me ?.
2. Should I appeal myself or re-apply myself or use an attorney

I will update this web site once I hear back from the INS

roy_dude said:
The GC came 5 months after the DUI incident. I had immediately informed my company attorney (employment based GC) about the whole incident (when DUI happened) and I believe he contacted my DUI attorney too. Both of them told me that this first DUI is a traffic violation in the state where it happened.

The I-485 was filed much before the DUI and now I am not sure if the attorney updated the already filed I-485. I have never had problem entering USA after getting the GC.

How much time would the INS take to inform me about the result ?.

Assuming INS denies my aplication,

1. can they deport me ?.
2. Should I appeal myself or re-apply myself or use an attorney

I will update this web site once I hear back from the INS

Roy,
please dont worry about such petty issues.I would say u were just unlucky and u need to fight out with courage..[/B]Actually a citizenship application cannot be denied solely over a DUI...

So cheer up and just take a look at this thread...
But,for heavens sake dont drink and drive...
http://immigration-information.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the surprise today while checking my postal mail. Found an envelope from Deptt of Homeland Sec. and I suspected it must be a denial letter inside.
It turned out to be a green color letter saying that I should am being notified to appear for Naturialization Oath ceremony on August 8th, 2006 at JFK building Govt center, room E275C, Boston

It also says that I should bring the following ( I am listing the items with the box checked in front of them)

1. This letter along with all of the questions on the other side answered in ink or on a typewriter

2. Alien Registration Card
3. Reentry Permit, or Refugee Travel Document.

4. Other--If you lost your permannet resident card before the interview. Please bring your lost ARC Sworn statement with photoID.

Proper attire should be worn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions to you folks are:

1. Does it mean I am all set to become a naturalized citizen ?. Did the Supervisor approve my N-400 application ?.

2 Do I ned to take any court certified docs etc from my DUI/DWI conviction in 1999 (they clearly say on the reverse that the questions refer to actions since the date you were last interviewed on your application for naturlization)

3. I have never applied for renetry permit or refugee travel Doc ?. So why is this box checked. Should I ignore it ?.

4. What defines proper attire ?. Will a normal pant/shirt/black shoe work or do I need to wear a formal suit with tie etc

5. Has anyone taken oath at JFK building Govt center, room E275C, Boston
and how much time it takes and is there anything specific one should carry for the oath.

Thanks in advance

Roy

roy_dude said:
My questions to you folks are:

1. Does it mean I am all set to become a naturalized citizen ?. Did the Supervisor approve my N-400 application ?.
your case is approved

roy_dude said:
2 Do I ned to take any court certified docs etc from my DUI/DWI conviction in 1999 (they clearly say on the reverse that the questions refer to actions since the date you were last interviewed on your application for naturlization)
bring whatever it tells you from the oath letter

roy_dude said:
3. I have never applied for renetry permit or refugee travel Doc ?. So why is this box checked. Should I ignore it ?.
it is a standard statement. they do not care if you did apply or not, it is what it prints.

roy_dude said:
4. What defines proper attire ?. Will a normal pant/shirt/black shoe work or do I need to wear a formal suit with tie etc
it means no short, no flip-flop. use your common sense.

roy_dude said:

5. Has anyone taken oath at JFK building Govt center, room E275C, Boston
and how much time it takes and is there anything specific one should carry for the oath.

Congratulations, you have been approved and are all set to become a USC, assuming you don't get arrested between now and the oath ceremony. :eek:

All you need to take to the ceremony are your oath letter and your GC.

In Baltimore, "proper attire" seems to mean smart casual. Suspect it will be similar in Boston.

Thanks a lot for all the help and support. Hoepfully the oath ceremony goes fine and I don't get tickets/citations etc till that date
Best

Roy

Folks, I am done with the oath ceremony. I am going to apply for the US passport today. It says on the Naturz. certificate that copies can not be made of this certificate.
The postal system asks for original certificate to be mailed. What if it gets lost in the mail ?>

Can I make photocopies as a personal backup before I send the original with the passport application ?.
Can I go to local bank/notary for notarized copy as a backup I send the original with the passport application ?.

Also being an Indian national what should be my next step if I have to travel to India. ?. Should I be applying for PIO or go for a visa.
Could someone point me to relevant web links on this or someother forum which I can read ?.

Thanks and best wishes to all the people waiting...

Roy

We asked at my wife's ceremony. They said the owner was authorized to copy it for "backup" purposes. So we scanned and printed it and sent the original off to the State Department. However, we couldn't find a notary who would notarize it (we tried two).

The passport people are *much* easier to deal with compared to the USCIS

I am done with my oath and passport application too...

we had sheila jackson lee as guest of honor...man,she was too good...especially her speech...emphasizing on how this country is built by immigrants and immigrants should be proud of it and speak openly...wish suzy a.k.a vulpasin would have heard her speak..she is a genuine person(our congresswoman) :D ...eventhough she called hindus as hindis :D

Congratulations on becoming a USC query!

During the oath ceremony, the USCIS officer specifically mentioned it is allowable to make black & white photocopies of the certificate, so prior to applying for my passport I made a couple copies had them stamped by a friendly notary.

Also being an Indian national what should be my next step if I have to travel to India. ?. Should I be applying for PIO or go for a visa.

India does not allow dual citizenship. So you'll need to surrender your Indian Passport and get either PIO or OCI status.

Steps:

1. Get a US passport

2. Mail your Indian passport to the nearest Indian consulate, with a letter saying that you have become a US citizen, and that they should cancel your passport and return it to you. Be sure to enclose a cashier's check to cover the cost of secure return postage; it's $15 at the San Francisco consulate.

3. When you get your cancelled Indian passport back from the consulate, apply for PIO or OCI status. Instructions for the San Francisco consulate are here and here.

The PIO card needs renewal every fifteen years, whereas the OCI visa is good for life. I'd still apply for the PIO card because it takes only a few weeks to get, whereas obtaining OCI status takes a few months. The PIO card can be converted to an OCI visa at any time for a $25 fee.

You can use your PIO card or OCI visa to travel to, live in, do business in, and work in India, as a US citizen. You'll enjoy all the privileges of a non-resident citizen of India (NRI.) However, you can't hold political or government office, or buy agricultural or plantation land. If you're a PIO, you'll need to register with some office the first time you stay in India for more than 180 days; OCIs need not do so.

At Indian airports, PIOs and OCIs can use the special immigration counters meant for diplomats and air crews.

See the OCI forum on this site for more information.

Last edited by a moderator: