borrowing money for EB5

Discussion in 'EB5 - Investment-based green card' started by opticoco, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. opticoco

    opticoco New Member

    i have some questions to see you guys in this forum can enlighten me up!

    1. Can i borrow the 500,000 USD from my father? he would loan this amount from bank with his land properties ( which he inherited from my grandfather like 40 years ago) as a guarantee.

    2. If question 1 is yes, should we need proper document to prove how my grandfather got those properties.

    best regards
  2. korman

    korman Registered Users (C)

    I will answer the question in reverse order.
    2. As long as you get your funds from a bank (with your father's collateral), the USCIS will not be bothered about your grandfather's property records.
    1. The more important question is about the loan. Technically, there is no bar on borrowed funds. However, one must remember that the investment you make under the EB5 program is to be "at risk". Also, normally most lenders (in this case, your bank) will have the right to recall the loan. For these reasons, the USCIS will examine the issue very closely to ensure that you have unqualified control over the money. In short, the chances of rejection are high. If you must "borrow", please consult a senior attorney who has past experience of EB5 approvals.
  3. anonymous12

    anonymous12 Registered Users (C)

    I think you should consult US based lawyer who has experience dealing with EB5 in recent years. Most lawyers will be willing to give you free initial consultation or charge you a small amount with an understanding/hope you might use them for actual EB5 filings. I don't know if you are real, but do you really want to rely of online posters for any such advice which involve life time savings of your family?
  4. opticoco

    opticoco New Member

    hi, thanks for your information. for sure , I'm real to do it, i have 2 kids ages 6 and 3 and would like to move to USA mainly for education concern. by the way, we have our own business in Mexico city.

    i did consult some lawyers, seem all of them are eager to take your case no matter you are qualified or not because they just could take some money at the beginning without any guarantee if your case is suitable or not.

    i have applied for L1 visa like 8 years ago . bad experience!!! the lawyer took 3000 usd as the first payment and then nothing concrete really came out. that's reason i prefer to do good enough homework before i go for it!!

    best regards
  5. anonymous12

    anonymous12 Registered Users (C)

    OK, most immigration firms are stand alone practice of immigration law. I can't recommend you a particular lawyer but If I were you, then choose either one of the:

    1. Some, not all, are part of big multi purpose laws firm with a small immigration law office. In general they are not that greedy.

    2. Some law firms are multi national offices (US and abroad) or multiple law offices (meaning several offices through out USA) of same firm.

    Many good lawyers don't take any case as they want to take cases which can be successful. You have mentioned you are from Taiwan and I don't know how do you feel about Chinese people. In any major US city or any major US university has huge Chinese population and I am sure there are people from Taiwan too. You may want to contact some of those to recommend you some good lawyer. or you may want to pay a visit in person to see a lawyer and investment project in person.

    No lawyer in his/her right mind will give you "guarantee" for any thing. It is your money at risk and your application at risk. If you are going to invest, just keep in mind this in general is illiquid investment and you can loose this money as well.

    There is another immigration chat room and it sponsored/run by a law firm and his main lawyer Ron Gotcher sometimes answer other people's questions on the chat room. May be you should try to ask your question there to get his feedback and some free advice or talk to him. I have not used that chat room much and I can't tell you how he is as I don't have any personal experience. I am NOT part of that law firm any way.

    I think host of this chat room is also a law firm. If you look at the top of this page you will find his information as well. May be you should consider talking to him as well. In the past I have seen people posting good things about him here. Again I am NOT part of his law firm either so please do your own due diligence before making any decisions.
  6. anonymous12

    anonymous12 Registered Users (C)

    It seems like you are a business man, they why don't you consider applying for E visa (it is non immigrant investor visa). I think this visa does not lead to green card and it does not have any expiry date as well as you can renew it indefinately (I think) as long as your project is there.

    Advantage with E visa is, less money is required, you are in charge of your own business rather than giving money to someone (in case of EB5). This way you have both resident status in USA, business, may be some income too if it is successful. If business is successful then you may change it to L1 to associate this (if that is possible) to your other business which you have mentioned in Mexico or Taiwan. I think with L1 you can apply for green card later on.
  7. bitpromus

    bitpromus New Member

    Make sure the lawyer is specialized in EB 5 and knows which projects are incl. and which aren't ...there are so scams out there with projects that claim to be EB 5 and aren't like one in Tenessee...

    I know a lawyer as well who is very specialized and can tell you from the top of his head which are approved and who aren't since they aren't that many...You can DM me if you need the name...
  8. mattarogers

    mattarogers Registered Users (C)

    There is not cut and dry on this one. The US Government does want to ensure that foreign investors do have some proof of where their funds come from (especially those from what they call “targeted countries”). To do this, they can require an OFAC license, in order to make sure that the money has nothing to do with anything illegal (ex - terrorists and narcotics traffickers). You can find out a lot more about this on the US Treasuries site.

  9. Stanley Hermosillo

    Stanley Hermosillo Registered Users (C)

    Certainly, I think the U.S. does have a vested interest in determining where the funds are coming from. If it was exposed in the media that these monies had come from terrorists or cartel members I can only imagine the furor.
  10. venglein

    venglein Registered Users (C)

    I am a British Citizen and my wife and I are moving to the USA on an EB5 visa.The regulation requires an EB-5 candidates to manage the new business.The regulations stipulate that applicants or be involved in managing day to day business or management through policy formulation.We get a lot of people who fail to meet the criteria for the other visas and tentatively suggest investment as a possible solution. You'll be able to put them straight on the realities.
  11. CarneyPledge

    CarneyPledge Registered Users (C)

    A small corporation borrowed $775,000 to expand its software line. Some of the money was borrowed at 8%, some at 9%, and some at 10%. How much was borrowed at each rate if the annual interest was $67,000 and the amount borrowed at 8% was four times the amount borrowed at 10%
  12. mnerobi15

    mnerobi15 Registered Users (C)

    a "college loan" they will give them to anyone or parent who is in college. And you don't have to send it for that. Good luck.
  13. desionh1b

    desionh1b Banned

    You can easily use funds borrowed from your dad and as long as you document the loan, USCIS approves the case.

    I'm a Licensed Real Estate and Business Broker and can help investors invest in new or existing businesses to qualify for the EB-5. I've already helped 29 clients successfully obtain the investor immigrant visas so far, and can supply references if needed. My name is Mohammed Shaikh and my mobile number is +1 407 535 0616. My broker license can be verified with the CA Department of Real Estate and my license number is 01406774

    I've been a RE broker for 8 years and have not had any complaints simply because I'm discreet and competent and avoid breaking the law to begin with. By law, a broker is required to hold client accounts separately in an escrow account, so there is no chance a broker will ever attempt to misappropriate your money as the penalty is mandatory prison sentence of 2-5 years.

    As long as you do not have a criminal record and have at least a bachelors degree and are fluent in English, I can guarantee that you will get an investor visa, as I work with immigration attorneys who are experienced in investment based immigration. Investment is USD 1 million or above (USD 500,000 for rural and high unemployment areas), but the advantage to that is you are able to get bank loans for about the same amount as your investment and double the amount of capital you can deploy in your business. Your average extra costs amount to about $56,000 for licensing, attorney fees, permits, USCIS fees, etc. Approval time is 8-14 months, with an average of 10 months.

    Interested? Call me and let me help you.

    Mohammed Shaikh, MBA, Certified Fraud Examiner, Licensed Real Estate Broker
  14. claudineatinen

    claudineatinen Registered Users (C)

    thanks really great!

Share This Page