• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Born in India, Am I eligible ?

Raj Sola

I was born in India, but I am a citizen of Tanzania. My father was born in India, but he is Tanzanian too. My mother is British citizen, but born in Tanzania.

Nativity for DV Lottery is defined by the country of birth. Hence, I am not eligible since my nativity is Indian. However, can I claim country of birth of my mother?

No Title

I think this sums it up best.

Native of a qualifying country: In most cases this means the country in which the applicant was born. However, if a person was born in an ineligible country but his/her spouse was born in an eligible country, such person can claim the spouse’s country of birth providing both the applicant and spouse are issued visas and enter the U.S. simultaneously. Also, if a person was born in an ineligible country, but neither of his/her parents was born there or resided there at the time of the birth, such person may be able to claim nativity in one of the parents’ country of birth.

To me, this means that if your parents were visiting India when you were born, you are eligible. But if India was their country of residence, which I\'m gathering it was from your post, I think you are out of luck.

I am in the same situation, my parents were born in Europe, but live in Canada where I was born, so that makes me ineligble.

I\'m not a lawyer, so if you still aren\'t sure, I\'d check with one.
Angiodan