Bonafide marriage ... need Help

elprashant

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I need help regarding Bonafide Marraige... I am on H1; My wife will become US Citizen by end of this month...And we have planned to file after her citizenship .........

I have read about bonafide marriage..how should I prove bonafide marriage... We just married!!! , a six month ago.. we don't have joint property .... I live in NJ and she lives in Chicago....

1. A joint bank account would work ???

Or Please tell me what should I use for proving bonafide marriage

Thanks

6 months ago does NOT equal "just married".

You two need to show joint ownership of property, vehicles, or rentals. Joint finances (checking, savings), Joint health (health insurance, life insurance), and many other things that married couples have in common.

The most important thing is living together though and USCIS does not easily approved petitions where the parties live separated. So what are the plans for you two to live together? you need plans (specific) and act on them SOON.

It does not have to be "ownership" of property, having both of your names on the lease would be sufficient

6 months ago does NOT equal "just married".

The most important thing is living together though and USCIS does not easily approved petitions where the parties live separated. So what are the plans for you two to live together? you need plans (specific) and act on them SOON.

Somewhat in the same position as elprashant. My questions are:

1. Will EAD be approved even if couple is NOT living together? Will it take about 90 days?

2. Is it true that the cohabitation/living together issue will come up during or after the interview and not before? I guess what I am saying is, the paperwork I-130, I-485, I-765 will not be automatically denied because the couple puts different addresses on the forms.

3. What are some examples of legitimate reasons that USCIS will accept for a couple not living together immediately; how about not having an EAD before getting a place together?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Usually yes, it will be approved in as couple of months after the fingerprints
2. No, there is no issue with it, they will accept the applications and start work on them.
3. Just can give you an example, per my knowledge - you are both full-time (or major part of your time) students in different colleges or one of you a student and another person working to support another one, the place where that person attends the college is not good for the work.

Anyway, if you marriage is bone fide - you should not be worried too much, just start collecting as much as possible evidences for legitimate and truth of your marriage and relationship, you should bring a lot of evidences, starting from travel together, purchasing different stuff together and for each other, letters from each other to another party, friends and relatives about your marriage, photos. Everything where you have 2 of you - pictures, letters, emails, documents, etc, etc, etc will help. Show that you know that person for a while before got married.
Also, when you get IL – you MUST bring all items written on it, no exception otherwise it may ran in the problem.

BTW. I am not an attorney, but comment from my and mine friends experiences. You may consider to discuss with an attorney.