Birth Certificate

no birth certificate- affidavit - notorized or not?

My interview is scheduled for August 2nd and INS has asked me to bring my birth certificate(in bold) for the interview. I do not have my birth certificate though when I submitted my I 485, I had submitted affidavits from my mom and dad (not notorized) and a letter from local goverment saying that no record of my birth is available.

I am wondering if I should get the affidavits notarized for my interview, if so, will INS accept the notarized affidavits from my home country's notarizing authority?

Thanks,
Anu

atewari said:
My interview is scheduled for August 2nd and INS has asked me to bring my birth certificate(in bold) for the interview. I do not have my birth certificate though when I submitted my I 485, I had submitted affidavits from my mom and dad (not notorized) and a letter from local goverment saying that no record of my birth is available.

I am wondering if I should get the affidavits notarized for my interview, if so, will INS accept the notarized affidavits from my home country's notarizing authority?

Thanks,
Anu

All Affidavits have to be notarized and the originals submitted with I-485. You are asked to bring a birth certificate because your affidavits were not notarized. There is no defined procedure for this, but to be on the safe side, get the notarized affidavits from concerned persons (see earlier posts). Also, gather all original documents that have your date of birth on them (like school certificates, passport, ID cards) so you could show them to the immigration officer.

If it helps, see a notary officer here in the US and provide all relevant proof of your date of birth so the notary officer could provide you a notarized date of birth affidavit. (This was told by a notary officer when i got my I-864 notarized, but not sure if the affidavit he provides would have more importance than other documents you have)... Anyway, my 2 cents worth...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi everyone,

I think am in the same weird situation...I am an Indian student recently married to a US citizen...She is petitioning for me(I-130) for which I don't think we require my birth certificate...I want to file for I-485 later in the year...I also don't have a birth certificate...Won't my passport do the needful for I-485? I mean one can't get a passport without birth certificate..

I also have a few other questions:

-I have a BS in CS and have a job offer from a fortune 500 company..right now am interning with them and they would like me to start asap as a DBA...My CPT lasts till mid september...If my petition gets approved by then, could I continue to work for the company? I mean, even the EAD will take a while to come in right? Could I work until I got my EAD?

I appreciate any type of help..I am located in the Vermont area..

suny10 said:
hi everyone,

I also don't have a birth certificate...Won't my passport do the needful for I-485? I mean one can't get a passport without birth certificate..

thats right. You cant get a passport without a birth certificate. Since you dont have a birth certificate, but you have a passport, the date on your passport becomes questionable. Thats the reason USICS specifically needs birth certificates as proof of birth.