Birth Certificate

jsingh31

Registered Users (C)
BCIS sent back an RFE for my I 485 application at the Nebraska Service Center. Basically they are asking for the original birth certificate. I was born in 1972 in India, but I don't have the original birth certificate that was issued by the Municipal Corp. in the city of my birth. Probably was never registered. So far I have been using the birth certificate issued by the hospital where I was born, matriculation certificates, passport etc. as proof of birth date and age without any problems.

BCIS says none of these are valid. I had even sent two sworn and signed affadavits from my parents saying that the original birth certificate does not exist but BCIS turned those down as well saying that the affadavit must come from a 'Competent Govt. Authority" stating that the Birth cert. does not exist.

1. Who is a "competent govt. authority" in India ? (District Magistrate, Minister etc. ???) Who should I get it signed off from ?

2. Will a birth certificate issued by the Indian consulate/embassy suffice ? (I am assuming it will issued on behalf of the Indian govt. and should carry equal weight)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

1. The municipality/ corporation concerned has a standard letter that says that birth was not registered in their records or BC is unavailable. Get it , that should be enough.

2. Yes, Indian Embassy does give out a birth certificate based on your passport, school certificate.

I would suggest to do both.

1. The municipality/ corporation concerned has a standard letter that says that birth was not registered in their records or BC is unavailable. Get it , that should be enough.
--AND if you were born in village then village panchayat can give you the non-availability certificate or district registrar of birth office also issues the non-availability birth certificate, once you get this non availability certificate and if it is in Indian language then any notary in India will translate it in English on 10 rupees stamp paper and will stamp True translation. you need this non availability certificate AND 2 affidavits on 10 rupees stamp paper from your parents or elder relatives signed before notary or executive magistrate
2. Yes, Indian Embassy does give out a birth certificate based on your passport, school certificate.
----- The birth certificate issued by Indian embassy or Indian consulate is NOT accepted by USCIS as it is based on the info on passport. They need the original BC copy or the above-mentioned documents.

your parents can get your a certificate

There is a way to get a original birth certificate, I think. Your parents, if they are in India, can enquire at the local birth registrar's office, but this is basically how it works. Your parents will have to take an oath in front of a district judge saying that you were born on xx-xx-xxxx in the city/town of xxxxxxxx. They can then get a birth certificate from the birth & death registrar's office, and this will be official enough. But this whole process takes time unless you know the right authorities or pay extra.

Good Luck!