Birth Certificate from Jamshedpur, India

sambhar

Registered Users (C)
Is anyone on this forum from Jamshedpur. My RFE requires me to provide a birth certificate from the local govt. body like a Municipality. As far as I remember Jamshedpur was managed by Tata Steel (at least the part that I was born in) and there was any local govt. body like a Municipality. Any feedback on this will be greatly appreciated.

I may get a similar RFE ...

What did you submit along with ur 485 application?

In absense of BC, u have to submit 2 affidavits and a letter from the local authority stating that birth is not registered and hence BC is not available.

I have submitted 2 affidavits and non avail letter from Indian Consulate, NYC. I am expecting RFE for the non avail letter.

sambhar

Well, I am not from Jamshedpur but can suggest some info below.

In worst case scenerio, you can provide non-availability birth certificate and 2 Affidavites from your parents or close relatives.

Sample Affidavites can be found in many immigration websites or at this portal.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

I was born in Jameshedpur too. However I did have a birth certificate in Hindi. I submitted 3 affidavits and a certified English language translation of the birth certificate along with a copy of the original in Hindi. Not sure if this is of much help since I presume you don't have the original in the first place?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I had originally submitted a certificate from the Hospital but that wasn't good enough. My lawyer says that after 1970 all births in India were registered and if I try hard enough I can get a birth certificate. He says that's the best bet because affidavits can be further questioned. I did some research and found that there was a local body in Jamshedpur - Jamshedpur Notified Area Committee. Hopefully if Tata Main Hospital registered my birth with them I should be able to get a birth certificate from them. I will keep you all posted on developments. Thanks again.

Re: sambhar

Originally posted by sam99

In worst case scenerio, you can provide non-availability birth certificate and 2 Affidavites from your parents or close relatives.

Arun,

Who was the issuing authority for your birth certificate? Jamshepur Notified Area Committee or Jugulsarai Municipality or some other body?

Sambhar

Hope things work out for you

and u will ur fresh BC.

Since the new BC will be of a current date, INS may ask for affidavits from relatives. So better submit 2 affidavits also. That has been the experience of the people on this board.

All the best.

Re: sambhar

Originally posted by sam99

Arun,

Who was the issuing authority for your birth certificate? Jamshepur Notified Area Committee or Jugulsarai Municipality or some other body?

Sambhar

Hi Sambhar,

I am not from Jamshedpur, but I was born in place about 50 KM south of Jamshedpur.

The issuing authority is the dirtrict office (I think Jamshedpur comes under Singhbhum district, so does my birth place). It takes roughly 6 weeks to get the BC unless you know some people over there. In my case the procedure was as follows

My father went and caught hold of one person ( a distant acquaintance) who has connections in Municipal office. Both of them went to a lawyer and the lawyer prepared 2 sworn affidavits before the district court. Those affidavits were later submitted to municipal office (Registrar of Births and Deaths) along with application for BC and some bribe (I think they took Rs. 5000, these days they know the purpose of BC and they try to extract maximum). The guys in births and deaths office told my father to come back after a month and collect the BC. But eventually they gave the BC after 6-8 weeks.

But I never had to use the BC as I submitted 2 affidavits from my parents along with SSC (10th class) certificate which has DOB and father's name. My case was approved without RFEs. I know few other cases as well on this board who got approved with affidavits.

Thanks

Thanks for the information AMBYASASAM and KrishnaGC. Arun, I would appreciate if you let me know who the issuing authority for your birth certificate was.

I don't check the forum regularly and thus the delay....

I am not sure who the issuing authority was but I seem to recollect it was the "registrar of births and deaths" at the district office. I can double check when I go home today and post the same tomorrow morning. The district was Singhbum and the hospital was TMH

Appreciate all the advice and tips

Thank you everyone. I have started the process of trying to find the birth certificate in India. Will see if I make any progress on that front or else will go for the affidavits. Will keep this site posted on my experiences.

Sambhar,

All that I an infer from my birth certificate is:

Govt. of Bihar
Bureau of Statistics

Seal:
Registrar of Births and Deaths
Jamshedpur notified area

Thanks Arun

Appreciate your effort. The good news is that my Dad has been able to find some District Administration officer in that area. Also another acquaintance is sending me a copy of his birth certificate from Jampot. So it seems things are moving in the right direction.

Got the Birth Certificate!!!

I am very impressed with the speed. 15 days turnaround. I got in touch with an IAS officer whose email I found on a website. She is a Deputy Commisioner of East Singhbhum. She provided me information as to who to contact. Once I provided that information to my Dad, he was able to procure the Birth Certificates both in Hindi and English.

The issuing authority is Jamshedpur Notified Area Committee, Government of Jharkhand, Directorate of Statistics & Evaluation, Jharkhand. It is signed by the Registrar, Births & Deaths, Jamshedpur.

From all the research I did on the subject the following is very important on the birth certificate:

1) Your name correctly spelt
2) Date and place of birth
3) Date when birth was registered
4) Both the parents' names correctly spelt.

Here are the relevant portions from an INS manual I found on a website:

Evidence of Birth/ Birth Certificate

The applicant must submit evidence of their place of birth for purposes of chargeability, identity and derivative relationship. The most common evidence is the birth certificate. The birth certificate must:

• be issued by a recognized civil authority from the applicant's country of birth,
• be timely registered,
• show date and place of birth, and
• show the names of both parents.

*Note: If the document is written in another language, the applicant must include a certified English translation.

Verify the data on the I-485 with information from the birth certificate. If the name or date of birth is not complete or correct, you must make corrections to the I-485 with red ink and update CLAIMS with the correct data.

There is other acceptable evidence of the place of birth for an applicant. If you do not have, or cannot get, the applicant's birth certificate, the following documents may be acceptable as secondary evidence:
• the biographical data pages of the applicant's passport;
• baptismal certificates; or
• affidavits (these may be substituted for certain countries, see FAM when in question).

This evidence can establish chargeability, identity and derivative relationships for dependent spouse and children.

-retroactive birth certificate-possible fraud
-rectification of birth certificate-possible fraud
-date added later to birth certificate-possible fraud