Birth Certificate Alternative

OpenRoad

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

My apologies in advance if this question has already been asked. I did a high level search and could not find the exact situation as mine. Here is the question.

My spouse and I had our citizenship interview yesterday. My wife cleared hers but the interview office gave me a hard time on my employment (since I got my permanent residency via H1B) and then finally asked if I had my birth certificate. I said that I did not and that it will be hard for me to get it but I will try. I am from Pakistan, born in the 70s and in a private clinic. I do not recall ever seeing my birth certificate :eek:. When I filed for my Green Card, I had the same issue and was advised by my lawyer to submit two notarized affidavits from family stating that I was who I was claiming to be. That worked for my green card but yesterday when the officer looked that those affidavits in the file, the officer suggested that these were 'self serving' and that I need to get a birth certificate that has the same name as on my N-400 application (I am also going through a name change post citizenship)

Assuming that I am unable to furnish a birth certificate, what are my alternatives?. I have a month to submit relevant documentation. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

If your birth was registered in the city/town where you were born, you might be able to get a birth certificate issued even though you never saw your birth certificate before. Or the hospital records of your birth might still be available.

My wife cleared hers but the interview office gave me a hard time on my employment (since I got my permanent residency via H1B) and then finally asked if I had my birth certificate.

What was the specific problem with your employment? Did you leave the sponsoring employer soon after GC approval? Or did you leave them before GC approval?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your birth was registered in the city/town where you were born, you might be able to get a birth certificate issued even though you never saw your birth certificate before. Or the hospital records of your birth might still be available.

I am not sure if the birth was registered with the local municipality and that is why I was looking for an alternative in case that document did not work out.

What was the specific problem with your employment? Did you leave the sponsoring employer soon after GC approval? Or did you leave them before GC approval?

There was no real problem except that the officer went into more detail about my time with the sponsoring employer. I was asked if I had any W-2 to prove my employment and why did I leave them. I said that I had W-2 to prove and and I left because of monetary reasons which seemed to satisfy the officer. I was not asked to furnish W-2's.

There was no real problem except that the officer went into more detail about my time with the sponsoring employer. I was asked if I had any W-2 to prove my employment and why did I leave them. I said that I had W-2 to prove and and I left because of monetary reasons which seemed to satisfy the officer. I was not asked to furnish W-2's.

When I wrote "problem" I was referring to what seemed to be the reason for the extra scrutiny -- did you leave the employer very soon after GC approval? Or did you leave before GC approval?

When I wrote "problem" I was referring to what seemed to be the reason for the extra scrutiny -- did you leave the employer very soon after GC approval? Or did you leave before GC approval?

I stayed with them well over a year after getting the Green Card.