Birth Certificate/Affidavit from Parents

v_dharini

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

I have a problem with my birth certificate and most likely it may not be an issue at all for CP interview but would like to play safe.

This is the issue - My initials on my birth certificates are not expanded and somebody advised me to get an affidavit from my parents, relatives. Unfortunately my parents are not in India and not in the US either. Now, I am not a legal person and I would like to know if the affidavit has to be made in India only , (I guess on stamp papers and stuff) or could it be done in any country ?? What is the process ?

Please extend your comments.

Thanks,

Affidavits can be executed in any country, including US. Ask your parents to find out the procedure in their country of residence to get affidavits notarized.

Hi nkm-oct23,

Actually my parents are in Canada currently and they're on a social visit there- Will that be an issue doing an affidavit and getting them notarized in Canada ?.... I must admit I have too little knowledge on these legal stuffs.

Appreciate your inputs...

Originally posted by v_dharini
Hi nkm-oct23,

Actually my parents are in Canada currently and they're on a social visit there- Will that be an issue doing an affidavit and getting them notarized in Canada ?.... I must admit I have too little knowledge on these legal stuffs.

Appreciate your inputs...

In that case I am not sure, you may get questioned as to why your parents executed the affidavit in a foreign country where they are not residents.
If possible have them get the affidavits in India.

Another thought is to go to an Indian consulate in Canada and get it done. Consulate routinely provide notarial services.

This is indeed a good suggestion. I will try to get the affidavit notarized from the local consulate in Canada.

Thanks again!