Biometrics walk-ins???

bjorn

Registered Users (C)
I have read that some people on this forum did their biometrics on a walk-in basis at an Application Support Center. I just called the USCIS, and they told me that walk-ins do NOT exist. Can someone clarify this?

you need to call national center hot line and make an appointment although ASC usually do not check whether you have an appointment with the confirmation number.

OK, so what you are saying that I schedule an appointment, and then bring that appointment letter to my attempted walk-in and see what happens? My plan is to schedule a fingerprint appointment online via InfoPass today, print out the appointment confirmation letter, and then go to the ASC tomorrow and see what happens.

bjorn said:
OK, so what you are saying that I schedule an appointment, and then bring that appointment letter to my attempted walk-in and see what happens? My plan is to schedule a fingerprint appointment online via InfoPass today, print out the appointment confirmation letter, and then go to the ASC tomorrow and see what happens.

don't know if you can make a FP appointment through infopass. I believe you have to call National hotline.

You are correct, I cannot, I just called. Still, once I get the appointment letter for an appointment perhaps a few weeks away, I just bring same letter that to my attempted walk-in and just see what happens? Is that what you mean?
Thanks a lot.

Ok, I believe two certain occassions when:
1) you get an appointment letter from you service center or local district office with the appointment date and time on it, then in that situation you don't need to call 1800 number. The appointment has already been set up for you, you can just simply show up in ASC for the biometrics.
2) let us say you efile i-765 and print out all the documents, then you are required to call national hotline to make an appoitment. You will then be given a confirmation number and date and time to go to ASC. My experience tells me the ASC don't check the date and time by the confirmation number, so what I am saying is you can just go there before the appointment date.

biometrics after I485 apporval

My i-485 was approved. I only had FP code 1, which means no photos and no biometrics.

The approval letter said I should call the 800 national serivce to make appointment to do biometrics. But national service center asked me to make appointment via infopass.

I made the infopass appointment with the local INS office ( boston).
Everything went smoothly.
I showed up 15 mins early. The infopass line is not long. There are still people just walking in without infopass appointment but people would have to wait a lot longer.
The INS officer asked for the approval notice then asked me to go to another room to to biometrics and take two photos.
After that, INS officer stamped on my passport which is good for 1 year.
I was told I would receive my green card soon.

cheng16e said:
My i-485 was approved. I only had FP code 1, which means no photos and no biometrics.

The approval letter said I should call the 800 national serivce to make appointment to do biometrics. But national service center asked me to make appointment via infopass.

I showed up 15 mins early. The infopass line is not long. There are still people just walking in without infopass appointment but people would have to wait a lot longer.
The INS officer asked for the approval notice then asked me to go to another room to to biometrics and take two photos.

situation applied to you is different from what we said earlier. You went to get your passport stamped at local CIS office for biometrics. However we were talking about the appointment in one of those ASC or Application Support Center, which I believe they do not have authority to stamp your passport other than making the same biometrics.

cheng16e said:

I got a 485 Receipt notice. In that notice it says to set FP (code 3) appointment by calling 800 number.
when i called that 800 number the earliest available is Oct 21st.
Can i get appointment for FP thru Info pass tomorrow?
I am in Texas service center.

According to the USCIS person I spoke with today, Infopass will NOT let you schedule biometrics appointments, but thee are nly schedule by calling the 1800 number. It seems like we all have different experiences in this. Anyhow, I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. My local ASC apparently has lots of appointments available every day every week, including tomorrow. Pretty cool.

Biometrics

My Biometrics were done on August 31 2005 and my priority date is not current. I guess i have to wait long time for my priority date to be current.

1.My application is processed from Nebraska service center. Processing time for Nebraska service center is August 2004 and my I-485 was filed in April 2004. My I-140 was approved a year back.
My question is Does USCIS send a letter of some sort to say that since my priority date is not current they are not able to approve my GC.

2. Does the USCIS site gets updated after they take biometrics

I'm guessing that the USCIS will not send you a letter about not being able to process the GC due to retrogression. Perhaps you'll get a LUD change when they receive the biometrics to update your record, but I'm guessing that's all. I think the USCIS assume that you keep track of the priority dates yourself. Obviously, I can be wrong, but I don't see why the USCIS would allocate resources to sending tens of thousands of letters to people just to say that an application is not going to be processed due to retrogression. Unfortunately, that type of customer service is probably not what the USCIS strength is.

once your file is in local district office, your LUD will not change at all only it changes when your case is in service center, just so you know...

re:

guys -
my wife has received biometrics but i havent ..there is some issue with my address with bcis...since i have left my previous company using ac21..i cant contact the lawyer too...
how can i find out whether my biometrics was sent ?pls help

First, double-check your I-485 receipt notice. It may be on that notice. Mine was but my lawyer did not catch it until I specifically asked him to check on it 3 weeeks later. Second, call the USCIS and ask what's going on.

re:

my 485 RD is in june 2004. that notice is just informational.i had done my FP last aug ...now wife just received biometrics.

Any one gave the biometrics for an approved case at local office with USCIS confirmation number?
Any problems with local office?
Does local office want to see the letter from USCIS?
Appreciate response from experienced people. Thanks

venkat