• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

BG Check

Elaaa

Hello, I just discovered this forum and there seems to be a lot of useful info here. I have a question about bg check. What is it, what do they check and how do they check it?

I am asking this bcz I didn't mention in my application that I spent 2 and a half months in Thailand some 9 years ago when I was travelling bcz I read that some people's visa's were rejected bcz they listed all the countries they visited but couldn't get the necessary confirmation from those countries that they haven't commited any wrong doing there simply bcz of police ignorance, lack of language knowledge or it took too long for them to send the necessary document so by the time it came it was too late for visa issuance. So I decided not to mention that I visited Thailand. And now I am dying from fear that my visa will be refused.

The other thing that bothers me is that for a full 6 years I've been working from home as a web designer and I don't have any proof of that besides my website with all the works. I mean I was not paying taxes and I dont have any paper proof for that period of time. How can I prove that and what documents they might ask me at the interview?

Any thoughts of my situation? Thanks all.

Hello, I just discovered this forum and there seems to be a lot of useful info here. I have a question about bg check. What is it, what do they check and how do they check it?

I am asking this bcz I didn't mention in my application that I spent 2 and a half months in Thailand some 9 years ago when I was travelling bcz I read that some people's visa's were rejected bcz they listed all the countries they visited but couldn't get the necessary confirmation from those countries that they haven't commited any wrong doing there simply bcz of police ignorance, lack of language knowledge or it took too long for them to send the necessary document so by the time it came it was too late for visa issuance. So I decided not to mention that I visited Thailand. And now I am dying from fear that my visa will be refused.

The other thing that bothers me is that for a full 6 years I've been working from home as a web designer and I don't have any proof of that besides my website with all the works. I mean I was not paying taxes and I dont have any paper proof for that period of time. How can I prove that and what documents they might ask me at the interview?

Any thoughts of my situation? Thanks all.
#1 Your trip from 9 years ago kinda irrelevant at this point. Travels in the last 5 years is what they want to know about

#2 Get with a CPA asap and figure out how to file back taxes. Not filing/paying taxes is just an express lane to a Denial.

Somewhere down the line those jobs you did. Your clients/Employers whatever you want to refer to them as. Filed something as far as payments with your name attached to it. That's how uncle Sam will know!!!

Jbuff’s answer seems to assume you are applying for naturalization.
This post is in the lottery visa section, are you applying for a DV-based immigrant visa?

Jbuff’s answer seems to assume you are applying for naturalization.
This post is in the lottery visa section, are you applying for a DV-based immigrant visa?
Yes, I applied for DV-based immigrant visa. Am I in trouble now bcz I didn't mention my trip to Thailand? Do they even ask for bg clearence for trips shorter than 3 months? And how can I prove my 6 years working online? I thought if I submit financial documents for my current regular job for last 6 months and the bank proof for those 6 months I should be fine. I also have a University degree, so I meet that requirement. If I read correctly it says I must have at least High School diploma OR work experience. What do you think? Many thanks for your replies!!!

You really need to read the instructions properly! You clearly haven’t!
Your worry about not mentioning visiting Thailand is unnecessary, as you would easily know if you had read the bit on police certificates under the instructions for selectees.
If your concern about not mentioning the work is to do with proving work experience when you qualify on education, again, you haven’t read the instructions properly and are worrying over nothing.
The instructions are linked from your selection letter. I’d suggest you go through them properly and read them well, because if you’ve got these two things wrong, there could be other things you also got wrong without realizing it.

Now, I’m sorry if this sounds judgemental, but while it seems from what you’ve now said above that you are worrying over nothing, you seem to have a tendency to flout the law (not paying taxes) or playing fast and loose with the rules (just not mentioning Thailand when you thought you needed to) when it suits you. So there may be something else you’ve done that could be a problem for the visa, we wouldn’t know. I can tell you that if you get an immigrant visa and subsequent green card, you need to start following the rules. Hiding employment to not pay taxes is one thing for example that could lose your green card. Good luck with your process.

Thank you Susie for your detailed answer. I am not worried about other things in my application. It's not like I didn't pay taxes on purpose. I worked with my friends online and just tried to survive as my home country is scarce in jobs and has very little opportunities comparing to western world.

For my trip to Thailand which lasted a bit over two months I honestly haven't seen/read if I need to report such a long trip. I read on another forum that all trips above 3 months must be mentioned and police clearance must be obtained for those trips. And another forum said it is only necessary to obtain police clearance for all trips of duration above 6 months. I still don't know what's correct.

I still don't understand what is that background check. How do they do it? Do they call police and ask about my trips or all they do is asking me to bring them the paper from police which says I haven't committed any wrongdoing? Do they call my former employers too?

Thanks again for your much appreciated help! You are very kind.

I don’t understand why you keep saying you read on this forum and you read on that forum yada yada... read the official instructions that were linked in your selection letter. I‘m sorry, but I’m not prepared to sit here correcting information you find in other forums if you’re not taking the time to actually read the official instructions.

It's bcz I am out of country so I don't want to log in to read the instructions via mobile phone. I will read it when I get back home. Thank you for your help.