Best way to get my fiancee here

chi-guy

Registered Users (C)
hey guys ... excellent forum by the way ... but here's my situation. i've been in the country for 26 years, but never got around to filing for citizenship. just had my interview last week (9/6/6), all went well, so i'm just waiting on my oath letter. I met a girl when I was in India and we got engaged (nothing official in terms of court, but a basic ring ceremony). our wedding is in december. I've been looking into what's the best/fastest way to get my future-wife to the states. here are some options:

1- k-1 (fiancee) visa
2- spouse visa filed in america
3- spouse visa filed in delhi, india --> this is the fastest from what friends have told me, with a turn-around of roughly 6 weeks

what are people's experiences with these and with which method can i expect the fastest response?

thanks.

edit: forgot to mention that we're planning to get a court wedding when i get back to india (if we decide on option 2 or 3) after i get my naturalization certificate, which should be the 1st or 2nd week of october from what i anticipate.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to sponsor her for a K-1 visa.
You can't make it by December though.
So you could get married in India and then sponsor her for a K-3 visa.

chi-guy said:
hey guys ... excellent forum by the way ... but here's my situation. i've been in the country for 26 years, but never got around to filing for citizenship. just had my interview last week (9/6/6), all went well, so i'm just waiting on my oath letter. I met a girl when I was in India and we got engaged (nothing official in terms of court, but a basic ring ceremony). our wedding is in december. I've been looking into what's the best/fastest way to get my future-wife to the states. here are some options:

1- k-1 (fiancee) visa
2- spouse visa filed in america
3- spouse visa filed in delhi, india --> this is the fastest from what friends have told me, with a turn-around of roughly 6 weeks

what are people's experiences with these and with which method can i expect the fastest response?

thanks.

edit: forgot to mention that we're planning to get a court wedding when i get back to india (if we decide on option 2 or 3) after i get my naturalization certificate, which should be the 1st or 2nd week of october from what i anticipate.

Hello,

Make sure that you are Naturalized and then get mariried in India. You can file the I-130 package in New Delhi, India as it supports Direct Consular Filing for the US citizens who marry an Indian Fiancee. It is the fastest way to get her to the US, may take around a month to 4 months.

Alternatively, the K-1/K-3 visa will take you about 6-8 months

jonty said:
Alternatively, the K-1/K-3 visa will take you about 6-8 months
As long as you do not live in the Southwest. Otherwise a year is not uncommon. The fiance visa is much faster than the marriage visa (for some unknown reason.)

hey thanks a lot for the responses peeps ... at this point i'm leaning towards filing for her in delhi, india, after we get married. I'm still waiting on my oath ceremony; once that's complete, i'll be heading to India for the court wedding and then immediately file the i-130.