Best Time for Last Name Change!

Naaz2004

Registered Users (C)
Hi Every One:

I already have my plastic green card and in 6 months I am going to apply for US citizenship. I recently got married and hence I want to change my last name. Please help me to know what is the best time to change my last name? Right now before applying my N-400 or ask a name change with N-400? I want to be extra careful as I dont wanna cause any delays in my citizebship process due to that fact that I need to sponsor my husband.

Should I change my last name now or with N-400? What will be simpler, faster and easier way to handle this? If I change now, is it necessary that I get a new green card with the new name or I can still use the old one? I am too confued and appreciate any information and advice. Thanks alot.

Naaz

PS. Please remove the first post.

Appreciating few response!

Naaz2004 said:
Hi Every One:

I already have my plastic green card and in 6 months I am going to apply for US citizenship. I recently got married and hence I want to change my last name. Please help me to know what is the best time to change my last name? Right now before applying my N-400 or ask a name change with N-400? I want to be extra careful as I dont wanna cause any delays in my citizebship process due to that fact that I need to sponsor my husband.

Should I change my last name now or with N-400? What will be simpler, faster and easier way to handle this? If I change now, is it necessary that I get a new green card with the new name or I can still use the old one? I am too confued and appreciate any information and advice. Thanks alot.

Naaz

Waiting to get few responses please...

Thanks,

naaz

Naaz2004 said:
Waiting to get few responses please...

Thanks,

naaz

First CONGRADULATION!

OK here is what I think:

If you have used your husband's family name in any document
and intend to use in this six month before filing the N-400, you'd
have to write that in your N-400 and if they decide to do name
check on your name, they will probably run the other names you
have used too, so I guess the name check timeline would be the
same as you change it legally.

But If you are not planning to use your husband'd family name
(ke door az joon ziad ham tohfeh nistand, madar :D ) you might
wanna wait after your citizenship.

Just a tought, nazziiiiiii Khanoom

lidia said:
First CONGRADULATION!

OK here is what I think:

If you have used your husband's family name in any document
and intend to use in this six month before filing the N-400, you'd
have to write that in your N-400 and if they decide to do name
check on your name, they will probably run the other names you
have used too, so I guess the name check timeline would be the
same as you change it legally.

But If you are not planning to use your husband'd family name
(ke door az joon ziad ham tohfeh nistand, madar :D ) you might
wanna wait after your citizenship.

Just a tought, nazziiiiiii Khanoom

I have not used his family name in any document so far and even in the marriage certificate I just have my own last name. I was thinking of changing it now but the only thing I am concerned about is that it should not delay my citizenship process. So I was wondering what is the best time and way to change my last name. According to you I should just wait till I become citizen, right Lidia khanoom?

Any one else has any experience or advice. Please help and respond, Thanks.

If I were you, I would wait till I get Citizenship. Why start something now and delay the process? After all, why give USCIS a valid reason to delay the process, right?

For just sponsoring, I don't think the last names have to match... If it makes you feel any better, mine and my spouse's last names don't match for GC.

Good luck with your citizenship process...

Naaz2004 said:
I have not used his family name in any document so far and even in the marriage certificate I just have my own last name. I was thinking of changing it now but the only thing I am concerned about is that it should not delay my citizenship process. So I was wondering what is the best time and way to change my last name. According to you I should just wait till I become citizen, right Lidia khanoom?

Any one else has any experience or advice. Please help and respond, Thanks.

Yeap. If I were you I would wait till after citizenship. That time you know you are done with every uncertainty. You go to court and will change your name in 1-2 month and will get your passport in your new name.

Just a thought.
Good luck