BEst place to settle in usa ,after getting greencard

raymond

Registered Users (C)
Here is my situation.Want some valueble inputs from the readers.

I work in manhattan,got a greencard recently.
I am debatting the location ,where i want to settle permanantly.
my problems with newyork city is the commute and weather,except those two ,newyork city is wonderfull.

Anyway i cann't change the weather.All my friends are advising me to settle in newjeresey,so that i will have ample job oppurtunities,earn more money,get good appreciation for house(i believe texas doen't have much appreciation for the houses)
So i am looking into texas now.....
can anyone advise me the right place to settle in texas,i heard houston and dallas has got more IT companies.
I am looking for more job opputunities also,
First question is - which one is better Houston or Dallas as far as the IT companies are concerned(looking for more IT companies)?

Second question is - Please advise me the right location(town) in dallas/houston,looking for less commute,planning to buy townhome.

Once i get the good inputs from this forum,am planning to look for a job in that location....
can anyone advise me the wesites,where i can look for the more IT companies located in texas?

Please help!!!

Best cities in Texas for IT

Seems you have already decided that Texas is the best place to settle.

Offcourse house prices are affordable but the weather is worse than NY (east coast). winter is fine but summer is horrible and spring is even worse with huge hail storms (hails size of baseball). If you dont like your car then you are fine. Other than that there is a constant danger of tornadoes.
The above is for Dallas. Also you would have to travel long distances to find any decent populated city out of Dallas/Fortworth.

As far as houston is concerned the weather there is also bad. I guess winter again is okay but in summer it is very very humid. If you like such a humid climate then its fine I guess. No tornado threat offcourse.

This leaves Austin which is one of the best places to settle in entire United States. Its a small city and has some IT companies, although not as many as Dallas. Summer would still be hot, there will be hail but no tornadoes.

Now about the IT companies. Dallas has the maximum. It was supposed to become the big telecom hub during the bubble. The Airport was expanded and an entire new city was built just for the telecom companies to move in. However when the bubble bust all those buildings have become manuments. However there are still some bug companies there. Your best bet is Verizon. There are still T-Mobil, Nokia, Microsoft, Nortel Netwroks, Sabre.

If you go to Dallas you will either settle in Irving or Richardson. These are the two places where all IT is.

Have no clue about Houston IT industry. Although I am told that only NASA is the source of all IT in Houston.

Anyway Texas does not seem to a good choice. But thats just me

Thanks neocor - that is indeed informative.

Folks please post your experience about other places too.

I would like to know about(and around) Jacksonville, FL and South California(LA suburbs). If anyone has any idea, please share it.

AmericanWannabe said:
Today's tragic news shows that with all other being equal, it is not a good
ideal to live in a big city like NYC

You will find millions of reasons for not living in big cities. High costs, traffic, pollutions, crime, "wrong culture" (in some people's viewpoints), lack of space, lack of peacefulness are just a few of them. Terrorist threats come much below in the list. But on the other hand, there are millions good reasons for living in a big city too - and that's why living costs are soo high.

If you live in New York -- be advised that Dallas is a bit of a dead city in terms of entertainment ( I live in DFW). Also, the Richardson has only old houses older than 10 years at least , so does Plano. The new houses are still available in Murphy, Sachse, Allen and Mckinney.

NC - TriCity Area - Raliegh, Durham, Chapel Hill

NC has year round good weather - except some stormy days, and good area for kids education. Real estate prices are reasonable.

Good plase to live !!

dancingdesert said:
NC has year round good weather - except some stormy days, and good area for kids education. Real estate prices are reasonable.

That fine and maybe you can get homes for much cheaper too. But what about the job scenario (IT jobs I mean). I have very limited knowledge of job in NC, Virginia area.

Comming back to Dallas here with some good points now in comparision to NJ. I assume the the original poster is living in NJ although works in NY.

1. Possibility to get apartments at lower rent. Although sqft to sqft the rents are same. If you are getting lower rent then the apartment is going to be smaller. In NJ you dont get such small apartments. Therefore its only a myth that in Dallas you can get apartments for less. (A mild plus if you can manage in a smaller apartment)

2. Home prices are offcourse almost 1/3 of what they are in NJ (A great plus).

3. Walmart and other like Target have huge supercenter that are always open 24 hours. They are huge. Also other grocery shops like Tomthumb, kroger and albertson are also bigger, cleaner and 24 hours open. (A sure plus)

4. All the highways have service roads going parallel to them always. You can easily get off the highway on one exit drive parallel to the highway as long as you want and then rejoin the highway whenever you want. (I found it helpful a lot times, dont ask me how).

5. The biggest are the hospitals. If you plan to have a baby then go to Dallas. You will get a separate luxurious room (not shared) and the most wonderful experience. Only catch is that 80% of the people end up with C-Section. It has something to do with the Insurance cost for Obs/Gyn doctors there and they get sued left right and center there. Its very difficult to find one.

So if you have decided to move to dallas these are the things that you can look forward to.

neocor

neocor said:
That fine and maybe you can get homes for much cheaper too. But what about the job scenario (IT jobs I mean). I have very limited knowledge of job in NC, Virginia area.
"dancingdesert" must be referring to Research Triangle Park in NC. It's the largest research park in the world. It's not only great for IT jobs but for many other sorts of high paid jobs. All of my friends who work there have Ph.Ds in something, like, computer science and engineering. But I *think* you can find decent jobs just with master's. I used to live there, and I agree with "dancingdesert" that area is great for kids too. I like Chapel Hill better than Durham or Raleigh, as a residential area. Medical facilities are great there, also. Entertainment/arts areas are certainly limited, but you can't expect everything. Re. weather. Personally, I didn't like it too much (esp humidity in summer), but it's manageable..

Need Info on LA/Orange County/Anaheim

Hi Members,

I recently got my Greencard and I am thinking of relocating to LA area. Presently in NYC /NJ area. Please help me in this decision by giving your opinion on the following in LA/Orange COunty/Anaheim region

1. How is the job market there?( I am a SQL DBA).
2. How is the weather there?
3. Crime rate/School districts?
4. State /Income/Sales taxes/Insurance?
5.Which is a better place out of the three places I mentioned keeoping in mind that I am an Indian and Indian grocery stores and community in the vicicnity is desirable.

Please tell me out of your personal experience .Basically anybody who has idea about NYC/NJ area and now living in LA area can also give a comaprison.

Regards and Thanks in advance
B. Singh

Welcome Singh jee,

Nice to know someone else is also keen about South CA! I found something on net - one of the nice places is Rancho Santa Margarita in that area. But jobs are not many in IT field!

I was in exactly same dilemma. Got GC, working in NY, commuting from NJ and was thinking of moving to Texas. I did get a job too, but was asked to take a pay cut of 20K in Houston. After factoring in everything, it was not worth it. My friend lives in Houston and he said he still commutes 45 min each to get downtown from a nice suburb he is housed in. We have decided that we will move to India for good in 4 years, so we thought we might as well stay in NJ and enjoy the snow/cold instead of complianing :)). We even bought a home here. At least there is a decent chance of slight appreciation in NJ. Texas areas are showing 0 to -ve apprecaition of home prices. Maybe not all places, but logically, if they have lot of space, people would prefer new homes to an older one. Hence the little or no appreciation. Not to mention about the job abundance in NJ/NY/PA area.

Incidenatlly we also thought of southern CA, but thats an another story. In a nutshell, it was equivalent to moving to Manhattan, real-estate wise. My cousin swears that when there is forest-fire in the area (orange county), the ash is in the air for a long, long time.

Brain Singh, just out of interest what difference does it make to mention that you are indian. Welcome to the United States where all sorts of people live side by side, it sounds like you wish to remain in a certain part of the U.S in some East Indian colony. This preference will restrict the locales you will be interested in a great deal.

corr@john123456 said:
Brain Singh, just out of interest what difference does it make to mention that you are indian. Welcome to the United States where all sorts of people live side by side, it sounds like you wish to remain in a certain part of the U.S in some East Indian colony. This preference will restrict the locales you will be interested in a great deal.

John,

I would assume you are from Europe.
There are still a lot of places in the US where colored folks are still not very welcome. Its all nice that everybody lives side by side but unfortunately color still matters. As long as that feeling persists you will have people asking such questions.

Rgds,

Yeppo

Brain Singh said:
I recently got my Greencard and I am thinking of relocating to LA area. Presently in NYC/NJ area. Please help me in this decision by giving your opinion on the following in LA/Orange COunty/Anaheim region

1. How is the job market there?( I am a SQL DBA).
2. How is the weather there?
3. Crime rate/School districts?
4. State /Income/Sales taxes/Insurance?
5.Which is a better place out of the three places I mentioned keeoping in mind that I am an Indian and Indian grocery stores and community in the vicicnity is desirable.

Please tell me out of your personal experience .Basically anybody who has idea about NYC/NJ area and now living in LA area can also give a comaprison.

If you are looking for typical bedroom communities, East LA county (Artesia, Cerritos, Whittier, Lakewood, North Long Beach) are good area. Artesia/Cerritos has a big Indian community, Indian stores, restaurants plus Indian movie theatre. Coastal cities (Santa Monica to South Long Beach - basically south-west/left side of freeway I-405) are good too - you would love it if you love hip, trendy and very casual lifestyle. In orange county, any place is good as bedroom community (read "gated community") - except Anaheim and North/Central Santa Ana (due to comparatively high crime rates and too much traffic due to amusement parks/stadiums). Garden Grove, Westminister has a big asian community. Many Indian restaurant/stores available from Costa Mesa/Tustin to down south Alsio Viejo/Laguna Hills. From Irvine/Laguna Niguel to down south San Clemente, any place has good schools districts, very low crime, good living standards, typical suburb and but some areas are little bit snobbish in my personal opinion. If you move into these areas from NY/NJ probably only one and one thing you will miss - public transport. Otherwise, your Indian affinity will be intact :)
In the end, you want stay close to your work place - because rush hour traffic is really bad in most of these areas.

And, weather! I am leaving it for weather channel. Actually, you don't need a weather channel in LA/Orange county :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
corr@john123456 said:

I don't agree with Pat Buchanan 99.999% times, however I agree with him for one point: America has become a salad plate instead of melting pot - every community has its own ghetto. But I disagree with him for why it happened - where he blamed only immigrants. In earlier post, I guess "yeppo" took just opposite position. In my personal opinions, both sides bear responsibility - more or less.

corr@john123456 said:
Perhaps same when someone mentions he/she is Italian, even though been in USA for 3 generations! It is the same when people sell their homes in Edison, NJ to move to Ocean county.

It doesn't makes anyone less commited. :)

P.S. East Indian colony makes your post offensive - mind editing it?

Why should anyone edit something offensive?

Jharkhandi, I should edit something because you are offended by it?! What type of society would we live in if everything people said or wrote needed to be acceptable to everyone? I didn't find what was written acceptable so I responded, I do not retract anything I posted. The assumption I am from Europe was rich indeed, God bless America, where offending someone is still legal. :)