Best Place for H1 visa stamping

Poorni

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and need guidance as to which place(Canada or Mexico) the best to go to for H1 visa stamping.

I came to US basically on F1 and recently received H1b approval and on job from October. I am in an urgent situation to visit India sooner and so, I am planning on getting the stamping done at one of these places. I graduated in June 2004 and got my H1 done asap so that I don't get out of status after July 2005. That means, I hardly used my OPT period. I need to know if this could be an issue at the US consulate wherever I go to. Would they ask me as why I hurried into getting my H1 done and not used my OPT? Has anyone faced this situation, If so, I would appreciate if you could give me suitable answer to clear this one.

The actual dilemma I have is, which is the best place to go to for H1 visa stamping without much hassle. If I have to opt for Canada, which U.S. consulate(@Toronto's/Ottawa's) is giving the visas easily without many questions. If it is Mexico, then which is the best place?

I really need help in this matter and could someone list out exactly as where I should into to set up an appointment schedule?

Awaiting reply(s),

Thanks very much!
Poornima

Im sure the H1-B starting date on July wouldnt be a problem. You got your H1-b in the normal way. But have your paystubs ready(all the months you were on H1-B) and W2 for 2004. As far as the consulate Ottawa is not crowded and the mood is generally cool.

Thanks for the reply. I checked the site nvars.com for appt. schedules and it seems like ottawa, and toronto are booked fully for both april and may months. I am looking at going for stamping by the end of the april or definetly in the first 2 weeks of may. So, if ottawa and toronto are crossed out, I am left with montreal/vancouver and the consulates in Mexico. Can you advise which is the best one to go to, out of these. I heard that Mexico is kinda of easy but not sure as to which consulate. Any light on this please????

Another question is, if I book an appt. with a consulate and later on, can I re-adjust my appt. for a different date in a different consulate (just like how it is done on ttsvisas.com i.e., book once and can adjust dates as available)?? To do the same, do I need to cancel my first appt. and re-schedule for the newer one? Would I need to pay everytime an appt. is adjusted?

Please advise. Thanks!

Poorni said:
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and need guidance as to which place(Canada or Mexico) the best to go to for H1 visa stamping.

I came to US basically on F1 and recently received H1b approval and on job from October. I am in an urgent situation to visit India sooner and so, I am planning on getting the stamping done at one of these places. I graduated in June 2004 and got my H1 done asap so that I don't get out of status after July 2005. That means, I hardly used my OPT period. I need to know if this could be an issue at the US consulate wherever I go to. Would they ask me as why I hurried into getting my H1 done and not used my OPT? Has anyone faced this situation, If so, I would appreciate if you could give me suitable answer to clear this one.

The actual dilemma I have is, which is the best place to go to for H1 visa stamping without much hassle. If I have to opt for Canada, which U.S. consulate(@Toronto's/Ottawa's) is giving the visas easily without many questions. If it is Mexico, then which is the best place?

I really need help in this matter and could someone list out exactly as where I should into to set up an appointment schedule?

Awaiting reply(s),

Thanks very much!
Poornima
Most US consulates look for the same information --
your case looks "normal" to me ... as in no complications or out-of-status issues.

So it shouldn't matter where you go....

Plus you didn't say where you live .... if you are in S. Texas, maybe Mexico would be closer.

I thought you can get h1 visa stamping only in the country of origin. Also, to go to Canada, you need visa - which takes a month or more.
I have the same situation, F1 grad in may 2004. Then H1 - still on OPT I guess. Now I want to go to India in May but apointments in Mumbai are in Aug so that is out of question.
Any suggestions. Please help.

Thanks,
Dhruv

shahdhruv said:
I thought you can get h1 visa stamping only in the country of origin. Also, to go to Canada, you need visa - which takes a month or more.
I have the same situation, F1 grad in may 2004. Then H1 - still on OPT I guess. Now I want to go to India in May but apointments in Mumbai are in Aug so that is out of question.
Any suggestions. Please help.

Dhruv

Why on earth you want to mislead people? Canadian tourist visa takes at the most one day of your time - and not months as you say.

And yes, you can get H1 stamping outside of your country of origin - that is in Mexico or Canada. Only thing is if for some reason your visa is denied you will have to make arrangements to fly to your home country from Canada or Mexico itself.

And original poster - there is nothing as a "good" consulate. Just have your papers in order and you will be all set. I have found Ciudad (Mexico) and Calgary to be convinient. Friendly folks out there but saw the same folks rejecting some visas also. So as long as you have everything in order nothing to worry.

Thank you for your staunch reply. I stand corrected.
I meant a month if you apply by post, i should have specified.
You said if I am denied the visa, I can fly to india or mexico. Really mexico ? Any reasons for doing that.

Thanks,
Dhruv.