Benefits of Retrogression for I-485 Applicants (Article from Murthy Site)

PrinceofJungle

The following article is posted on Murthy. -

Good Luck

-------------------------------------------------------------

The link: http://murthy.com/news/n_benret.html

Benefits of Retrogression for I-485 Applicants

Many people are feeling doom and gloom over the delays in the I-485 processing due to retrogression for most employment-based categories. This is particularly so for nationals of India and mainland China since the employment-based third preference (EB3), the employment-based second preference (EB2), and the employment-based first preference (EB1) categories are suffering extreme visa backlogs effective as of October 1, 2005. Their frustration is certainly understandable. At The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, we even have heard of people considering the Canadian, Australian, or European migration options rather than waiting for several years to obtain the U.S. green card.

For the benefit of MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers we have decided to analyze the bright side of retrogression in the case of individuals for whom the I-485 (Application to Adjust Status) has already been filed for the principal and the visa numbers have subsequently retrogressed.

"What?" you ask. "Is there a bright side to retrogression? That just seems impossible, if not ludicrous!" Let us at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy help you see the benefits of retrogression!

Specific Benefits for the I-485 Applicant

First, a person who was able to file the I-485 before September 30, 2005 is very lucky since s/he has enjoyed the luxury of filing the I-485 before the dates retrogressed. Thousands of others are far less fortunate and will not even be able to file the I-485, potentially for many years.

The Law Office of Sheela Murthy proudly filed several hundred cases, including I-140s and I-485s for primary beneficiaries and their families. All of this was accomplished within a two-week period and we received a lot of appreciation from many of our clients for such expeditious filings in the short timeframe. Included in these cases were complex and difficult extraordinary ability EB1 petitions and EB2 national interest waiver (NIW) petitions, filed concurrently with the I-485s, for dozens of our researcher and post doctoral clients. This effort was almost unbelievable, even to us!

EAD and AP Extensions Available Each Year

Second, one who has filed the I-485 has the great advantage of being able to obtain the employment authorization documents (EAD) for him/herself and EADs for all dependants with I-485s pending, to allow the dependants to be able to work at any other job/s. The principal applicant, of course, must continue to work for, or show proof of the intention to work for the green card-sponsoring employer. Retrogression does not change eligibility for the benefit of an EAD, available to I-485 applicants. In addition, the individual does not have to wait several months for a consular visa appointment to apply for the H1B or L-1 visa stamp or a dependent visa stamp. S/He may use the Advance Parole to travel abroad and reenter the United States.

Luxury of Additional Time to Find a Spouse

Third, if one is unmarried, the I-485 applicant is given the luxury of more time to choose a spouse. That spouse can enjoy dependent benefits and obtain permanent resident status based on being married prior to approval of the I-485. This is a huge benefit to those who were intending marriage, but need more time for one reason or another. There is an enormous benefit to marrying prior to the approval of the I-485, rather than after. If the marriage takes place after the I-485 is approved, the case becomes a family case and the spouse can be stuck abroad waiting for several years.

AC21 Portability Allowing Change of Employers

Fourth, under the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (AC21) such an I-485 adjustment applicant is legally allowed to change employers after the I-140 petition has been approved and after the I-485 has been pending for at least 180 days. The new employment must be considered as being within the same or similar category to that mentioned on the LC/I-140 petition. If the USCIS had approved the I-485 within fewer than 180 days, such an adjustment applicant would legally not be able to take advantage of portability to change employers! We expect that many people will be exploring this option to pursue better career opportunities.

H1B Three-Year Extensions Permissible

Fifth, a person with the Labor Certification and the I-140 petition approval enjoys the added benefit of the ability to obtain three-year H1B extensions only as long as there is retrogression. This represents a huge savings each year for the employer and employee. Instead of having to spend thousands of dollars each year on H1B extensions for the principal and H-4s for all dependents, the entire family is allowed to file and obtain three-year H1B and H-4 extensions.

Immigration Laws Change

Sixth, and finally, immigration laws are always subject to change. These laws, and the regulations interpreting and implementing them change regularly. While this is often frustrating, as it makes planning difficult, it can be a good thing when change is needed. Anyone who has worked with or been subject to immigration laws for any length of time knows that there is constant flux. With this, there is always hope for improvement. Retrogression is not an incurable disease. The many possible cures and treatments are within the control of the U.S. Congress. Those who are interested need to make their voices heard and urge their employers and colleagues to do the same.

So, although retrogression may not appear to be perfect for most people on all levels due to expected delays in finally obtaining the approval of the "green card" or permanent status, it is important to consider and appreciate the positive aspects of retrogression. Such a positive outlook helps to maintain a balanced view on life and makes one appreciate certain distinct advantages primarily available to such "lucky" I-485 applicants!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Question about H1B EXTENSION...

I JUST CONFUSED..

question:
1. if you have pending LC, and you had already in the 7th yr in H1B, how many years it will extend? 1 year?
2. If you had already the approved LC and you filed the I-140, Do you still need to renew the H1B? How many years it will extend?
3. I thought, once you had already LC approval and filed you I-140, you don't need anymore to renew your H1B, only the I-140 is renewable while waiting for I-485. I am correct or not?

Please need the answer and clarification for this issue. Thank you.

adallac said:
I JUST CONFUSED..
3. I thought, once you had already LC approval and filed you I-140, you don't need anymore to renew your H1B, only the I-140 is renewable while waiting for I-485. I am correct or not?

Please need the answer and clarification for this issue. Thank you.
I140 approval adds no value. You need to renew H1 if you have not applied for I485 ( and you apply for 485 only when 485 VISA date crosses your labor date ( i.e. your PD ) )

How does retrogression affect dependants?

A friend of mine is getting married next month in India.
He is currently on a H1, his 140 is approved and his 485 application was filed about a year ago. His pd is Aug2002. He is planning to bring his wife here as a H4 on his H1.
Since his PD is well past the retrogression cut off date, does it mean that his wife has to wait till his PD becomes current to file for 485 and EAD?
Till his PD becomes current, does he have to keep extending his H1 inorder to keep his wife's legal status intact?