Benefits of Retrogression for I-485 Applicants (Article from Murthy Site)

PrinceofJungle

The following article is posted on Murthy. -

Good Luck

-------------------------------------------------------------

The link: http://murthy.com/news/n_benret.html

Benefits of Retrogression for I-485 Applicants

Many people are feeling doom and gloom over the delays in the I-485 processing due to retrogression for most employment-based categories. This is particularly so for nationals of India and mainland China since the employment-based third preference (EB3), the employment-based second preference (EB2), and the employment-based first preference (EB1) categories are suffering extreme visa backlogs effective as of October 1, 2005. Their frustration is certainly understandable. At The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, we even have heard of people considering the Canadian, Australian, or European migration options rather than waiting for several years to obtain the U.S. green card.

For the benefit of MurthyDotCom and MurthyBulletin readers we have decided to analyze the bright side of retrogression in the case of individuals for whom the I-485 (Application to Adjust Status) has already been filed for the principal and the visa numbers have subsequently retrogressed.

"What?" you ask. "Is there a bright side to retrogression? That just seems impossible, if not ludicrous!" Let us at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy help you see the benefits of retrogression!

Specific Benefits for the I-485 Applicant

First, a person who was able to file the I-485 before September 30, 2005 is very lucky since s/he has enjoyed the luxury of filing the I-485 before the dates retrogressed. Thousands of others are far less fortunate and will not even be able to file the I-485, potentially for many years.

The Law Office of Sheela Murthy proudly filed several hundred cases, including I-140s and I-485s for primary beneficiaries and their families. All of this was accomplished within a two-week period and we received a lot of appreciation from many of our clients for such expeditious filings in the short timeframe. Included in these cases were complex and difficult extraordinary ability EB1 petitions and EB2 national interest waiver (NIW) petitions, filed concurrently with the I-485s, for dozens of our researcher and post doctoral clients. This effort was almost unbelievable, even to us!

EAD and AP Extensions Available Each Year

Second, one who has filed the I-485 has the great advantage of being able to obtain the employment authorization documents (EAD) for him/herself and EADs for all dependants with I-485s pending, to allow the dependants to be able to work at any other job/s. The principal applicant, of course, must continue to work for, or show proof of the intention to work for the green card-sponsoring employer. Retrogression does not change eligibility for the benefit of an EAD, available to I-485 applicants. In addition, the individual does not have to wait several months for a consular visa appointment to apply for the H1B or L-1 visa stamp or a dependent visa stamp. S/He may use the Advance Parole to travel abroad and reenter the United States.

Luxury of Additional Time to Find a Spouse

Third, if one is unmarried, the I-485 applicant is given the luxury of more time to choose a spouse. That spouse can enjoy dependent benefits and obtain permanent resident status based on being married prior to approval of the I-485. This is a huge benefit to those who were intending marriage, but need more time for one reason or another. There is an enormous benefit to marrying prior to the approval of the I-485, rather than after. If the marriage takes place after the I-485 is approved, the case becomes a family case and the spouse can be stuck abroad waiting for several years.

AC21 Portability Allowing Change of Employers

Fourth, under the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (AC21) such an I-485 adjustment applicant is legally allowed to change employers after the I-140 petition has been approved and after the I-485 has been pending for at least 180 days. The new employment must be considered as being within the same or similar category to that mentioned on the LC/I-140 petition. If the USCIS had approved the I-485 within fewer than 180 days, such an adjustment applicant would legally not be able to take advantage of portability to change employers! We expect that many people will be exploring this option to pursue better career opportunities.

H1B Three-Year Extensions Permissible

Fifth, a person with the Labor Certification and the I-140 petition approval enjoys the added benefit of the ability to obtain three-year H1B extensions only as long as there is retrogression. This represents a huge savings each year for the employer and employee. Instead of having to spend thousands of dollars each year on H1B extensions for the principal and H-4s for all dependents, the entire family is allowed to file and obtain three-year H1B and H-4 extensions.

Immigration Laws Change

Sixth, and finally, immigration laws are always subject to change. These laws, and the regulations interpreting and implementing them change regularly. While this is often frustrating, as it makes planning difficult, it can be a good thing when change is needed. Anyone who has worked with or been subject to immigration laws for any length of time knows that there is constant flux. With this, there is always hope for improvement. Retrogression is not an incurable disease. The many possible cures and treatments are within the control of the U.S. Congress. Those who are interested need to make their voices heard and urge their employers and colleagues to do the same.

So, although retrogression may not appear to be perfect for most people on all levels due to expected delays in finally obtaining the approval of the "green card" or permanent status, it is important to consider and appreciate the positive aspects of retrogression. Such a positive outlook helps to maintain a balanced view on life and makes one appreciate certain distinct advantages primarily available to such "lucky" I-485 applicants!

----------------------------------------------------------------

LUCKY 485 filers???

Shut up, murthy!!!

Why don't you just say "don't leave US! Just hang in there and show me the money for AP, EAD, Spouse filing..."!

Outrageous for this unshameful bastard!!!

You've gotta be kidding me. What about the guys like me that can't even file this freaking beneficial I485 ???? Stuck after I140 approval in 6th year of H1 :mad: :eek: :confused: :eek:

you would get 3 years H1-B extn, but the 485 filers only 1 year

also EAD benfit could be avaialble to 140 approved fellas most likely if their is no other likely improvement measures
Chicago Desi said:
You've gotta be kidding me. What about the guys like me that can't even file this freaking beneficial I485 ???? Stuck after I140 approval in 6th year of H1 :mad: :eek: :confused: :eek:

What a shame!!

This article is shameless and outrageous. In my opinion it is an insult to the injury.. There may be a silver lining to a small group of people but general mass will suffer. This article is very insensitive and timing is also not right to write such posting. Shame to the author. Responsible lawyers should keep away from writing such articles.

Usually Murthy.com posts useful information but this article is just plain stupid. Some of the arguments made are utterly laughable and makes me wonder the author's ability to reason with good logics.

The first two points "Specific Benefits for the I-485 Applicant" and "EAD and AP Extensions Available Each Year" have nothing to do with retrogression. It is the benefit of I-485 application, NOT the benefit of retrogression! Those benefits will always be there, retrogression or not!

The third point about getting more time for finding a spouse is ridiculous. Is anyone with a pending I485 willing to spend extra YEARS just for the sake of finding a more suitable soulmate? I think not. What does that have to with those who are not en route to a "lived happily ever after" prince-princess type of marriage?

Perhaps the most moronic argument made in the article is "If the USCIS had approved the I-485 within fewer than 180 days, such an adjustment applicant would legally not be able to take advantage of portability to change employers! ". It seems that the author does not respect their readers and does not think they have enough intelligent to know: "Duh! If my I-485 is approved within fewewr than 180 days, that means I have my greencard and will NOT need to use portability!".

They don't care about us!!!!Plain and simple

waitingdood said:
Usually Murthy.com posts useful information but this article is just plain stupid. Some of the arguments made are utterly laughable and makes me wonder the author's ability to reason with good logics.

The first two points "Specific Benefits for the I-485 Applicant" and "EAD and AP Extensions Available Each Year" have nothing to do with retrogression. It is the benefit of I-485 application, NOT the benefit of retrogression! Those benefits will always be there, retrogression or not!

The third point about getting more time for finding a spouse is ridiculous. Is anyone with a pending I485 willing to spend extra YEARS just for the sake of finding a more suitable soulmate? I think not. What does that have to with those who are not en route to a "lived happily ever after" prince-princess type of marriage?

Perhaps the most moronic argument made in the article is "If the USCIS had approved the I-485 within fewer than 180 days, such an adjustment applicant would legally not be able to take advantage of portability to change employers! ". It seems that the author does not respect their readers and does not think they have enough intelligent to know: "Duh! If my I-485 is approved within fewewr than 180 days, that means I have my greencard and will NOT need to use portability!".

...................................................................................
What gets me is that the politicians in this country spend a lot of time talking about the illegal immigrants and how they want to fix the problem, and don't care a bit to streamline the GC process for legal immigrants. Of course there are no talks about legal immigration because we pay the taxes and...
These politicians know exactly what they are doing. They work in conjunction with corporate America to exploit the opportunities for us young and educated foreigners by closing the doors to us. Now, one should ask him/her self, is this the American Dream that I was promised or some sales man sold me the idea? Is this the land of opportunity anymore?
I don't know anymore. I would call this 21-century slavery because I simply cannot find any other term to explain this ridiculous act by the government against legal immigrants.

Regards,

nato said:
also EAD benfit could be avaialble to 140 approved fellas most likely if their is no other likely improvement measures

EAD/AP for people with approved I140 would be very sweet thing but under present laws its not possible. I hope someone takes some solid measures to fix retrogression or atleast let I140 approved people file EAD/AP :mad:

I had high regards to Murthy till I read this article.

This is how the bloodsucking employers and many lawyers (not all) keep making money. Murthy is scared about the fact that because of retrogession young professional might seek other opportunities like migrating to Canada, Australia etc and she might lose her business. She wants people to keep applying for EADs/APs, H1 Extension, H4 extensions, Spend ridiculous amount of time in getting the stampings when we travel to our home countries etc.

This approach by US is also a clear indicatiion that people will hate coming to US and a path to other foreign countries to explore this opportunity and grab good people.

Lawyers community got scared due to Retrogression bcos they are going to loose business in a big way, So they will say benefits of Retrogression....................... that is complete waste.

After spending 10 years in this country still skilled and legal immigrant paying taxes, working hard etc and didn't even get permanent residency on other hand in rest of the world in 10 years get citizenship.

So whats the injustice to us

dice12
I485 Pending

Insular and insensitive article

I had to read the article again. I could not believe she is saying this. THis is a bad move on her part. She will lose a lot of clientele. This after she was in the news for competing well against and showing profit margins better than some of the big law firms out there. It was really shameful. I thought she had enough sense to not be so politically incorrect in disclosing her thoughts. Her article is an insult to our intelligence. I cant even find the words to explain the stupidity and insensitivity of her article. I have lost all respect for her. This is a career suicide for her. WHile people like Rajv are trying to find ways to solve/alleviate the problem, she has taken this completely passive and defeatist approach. If lawyers start showing such helplessness to the chaos that is USCIS, what are people like us going to do. She is setting a very bad example and spreading a feeling a hopelessness in the people affected by this. She should be held resposnsible for this. The outcome of her statement can be very far-reaching. I think we should send an e-mail signed by a bunch of people asking her to retract her statement and issuing a formal apology for her insensitivity.

Santsoh

true colors

Finally, Messers Murthy show their true colors by posting A very insensitive and politically incorrect article on their website. The article exposes their mercenary approach to their cases. Afterall, she is not running a community service, although she pretends to, thru the free chat. Her forum does not permit users to talk to each other thru pm, lest we help each other by giving free legal advice for which her firm can charge fees. Your posts are screened by the webmaster before they are posted. the same webmaster who keeps chiming in during the 'free chat' that participants really need to hire her asap. Someone tried to post a link for J1 waiver jobs and the webmaster kept deleting it! DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO HER FORUM BECAUSE BY DOING SO, YOU ENRICH IT AND MAKE IT MORE POPULAR, so she can get more business. Her business is enriched thru ignorance and fear. Afterall, how many lawyers have offices in Chennai? She even accompanies groups of H1 visa applicants to foreign consulates. All lawyers know that if the paperwork is proper, there is no need for a lawyer to represent you in the foreign consulate. These are gimmicks for lawyers to keep their business going. The 'silver lining' in retrogression is only for unscrupulous lawyers and employers.

Just one thing I forgot to mention....all that she talks as "benefits of retrogression"....getting EAD, ability to change job (same or similar and all that BS).....these "benefits" were available even before retrogression.......she is just trying to package them as benefits "of retrogression"......and thats why I said that she is trying to insult our intelligence....and I agree with you....there is so much censoring on that forum and limited exchange of info that I dont got here anymore....

Santosh