Benefits of formatted annoucement<Handle><RD><WAC><

silent_waiter

Registered Users (C)
1] Depending on the time of the day and network speed, it sometimes take too long to open the actual thread.
If received AOS approval, it is a big matter and hence exceptional and we could use subject line to send the message across larger audience.

2] It does not take any time to put this format in this subject line. but it saves tremendous time for readers.

3] It helps PCee and rsrgc in registering the information in their thread. when the same message pops up again for some reason with a generic title like "485 approved", one has to open that message again to read , who got the approval.

4] I am "requesting" people to announce in formatted way, I am not holding anybody by neck or sending hate mails and ordering them to announce in this manner.

5] In democracy everybody has the right to sustain their legitimate requests.

6] f people obey all the rules and code of conduct on their own without sustained appeals, we would have seen cigarettes gone from the face of the earth centuries back. We would not have any courts, police.

7] I am doing my job, let others do their job. When I am posting the approvals again the handle is already in the subject line, so why would anybody open it if already read the earlier unformatted mesage.

8] Thanks for everything.

waiter

No Title

Why do I get the feeling that silent_waiter is actually
Vishnu Mahadev.

He sounds bossy like Vishnu, he\'s forever right and no-one
else can be right. If it sounds and smells like Vishnu ....

Vishnu or Someone else, All I know is...

..I did like the format, makes reading easy for everybody and as Pcee had her/himself posted sometime back that it would help her/him a lot.

:) No offence meant
BVM

my 2c worth...

silent_waiter,

In my openion it helps if people add their handle to the subject line, whithout that all those approval threads look almost similar. Just by looking at thread\'s handle one can find out if already looked at it or not (If handle is mentioned, and if one remembers people with their handle). But having rest of the information doesn\'t help me though! I do agree with other mailers that it is too much of information in the subject line and it clutters the main thread.

- PCee

BVM, Do you really like the format? I personally hate it. It is unnecessarily junking the board...

Moreover, the title line is so busy it is hard to make any sense out of it without really concentrating hard. It is like one of those designs that make your eyes go crazy. I agree with others that all the main information really belongs in the body not the subject line. I also agree that folks should have the freedom to express themselves. How hard is it to wait for a few seconds for a thread with 10 or 15 posts to load. I don\'t agree that it is a real problem. We have had threads with 200-300 posts and they I agree were becoming cumbersome to load and browse for new messages. But, when have you seen an approval thread be longer than 20 posts. Usually ther are limited to 5-15 replies. Lets keep things the way they are. Lets not rob folks of their spontaneity. Maybe silent_waiter has been accustomed to having everything presented to him/her on demand. But, S/he has to realize that there is no such thing as a free lunch. What\'s wrong with having to work a little for something helpful? So what if one opened a thread which they have already read? How hard is it to come out of the thread? A person needs a bit of tolerance and patience, that is all.

Dee Rod, Sorry, I should have been more specific.

As I had posted once earlier, I do not try to analyze but instead go on my instincts and in this case, experience. Sorry about that. Now that I went back and looked into it, yes we do not need RD,WAC etc. But I would like atleast the handle to be part of the title. I have seen "another July RD approval" flash across the screen, feel happy that there are more July approvals, raise my hopes (not any more - I got to know i have and RFE) and then realise that it is an old post. I agree u can make it out by seeing at the no of posts against the discussion but I still feel it would help by atleast having the handle in the title. Its not about waiting for the posts to load but getting disappointed to see an old post. I hope I am not asking for too much.

BTW, just to reflect the mood I am in check this out!
BVM "PUN INTENTED: RFE Anthem - HINDIANS only!" 3/8/02 3:54pm

:)
BVM

I agree with you BVM, handle on subject line may be helpful...

But, I still think it is helpful to go into threads that you have already been into. The reason being, folks do not just post their congratulations. Some folks post their own approvals somewhere in the thread and some post questions they have. I have seen several productive discussions come out of a reply to an approval post. If all of us were to not re-enter a thread those helpful discussions would never have got started. The essence of this board is that you never know where or whom the next helpful piece of info is going to come from. If we regimentalized this board there could be loss of info.
Unfortunately, if PCee and rsrgc were to also not re-enter a thread they would never be able to compile stats on approvals posted as a reply to another approval. The point I am trying to make is that you cannot enforce any kind of rules on a board as diverse as this. I may be wrong but that is just my opinion. My 2 cents.

I agree rsrgc, you cannot enforce rules on this board, let folks be...

I think we have enough of a system with PCee\'s lists and your summaries. We need to draw the line somewhere.
Also, I agree with you and AngryDesi. silent_waiter seems to be vishnu acting up again. silent\'s suggestion itself may not be wrong in principle. But, silent_waiter is exhibiting the same control-freak tendencies that vishnu has. How can a person change such an inherent characteristic so soon?

No Title

Dee Rod,

As I wrote in this thread earlier, I WISH if people could add their handle in the subject line along with what ever else they want to mention. My assumption is by making that thread personal it will accumulate all questions/messages for that user only. Let\'s say if the thread\'s subject line is something like "Another July approval.." then sure it may attract some more similar approvals from others into that thread (which I want to avoid). As you know we already have several monthly threads to attract that kind of discussions.

I do agree that people can only appeal and cannot enforce or rub their ideas on others. I guess it is just a trend, lets say most of those personalized threads appear with their handle in the subject line then I think the new ones will sure follow that trend slowly (of course if and only if people like that idea).

- PCee