Behind the scene for Additional/Extended Review

vetagaadu

Registered Users (C)
Behind the scene on Additional/Extended Review

The word “Additional/Extended Review” is panic when we hear. When I checked my status since two years (by raise SR every six months), I hear my case is in Security Checks / Name Checks etc…. Finally when I saw lot of approvals in June 07, I woke up and took Infopass on July 2nd to speak IO regarding my application. IO said my Name checks or Security checks (whatever) has been completed and he didn’t see any reason why my application has not been moving to further process. Finally he found my FP expired long back (gave them in 2004) and will send request to NSC (where my application is in process) to issue new FP notice, but he didn’t since PD is not current by that time (July VB fiasco).

But I decided to not give up like that and called immediately NSC, explained about my FP and opened SR regarding case status. Even here IO/Customer service didn’t agree to request for my FP. After one week again I called and spoke to one rep in NSC about my expired FP, he opened second SR mentioned about expired FP. After few days I got FP – Code 3 and completed in 10 days…Checked with FBI to find the status and finally results has been arrived USCIS. Then I started waiting for dream letter/email.

But when I keep on calling them about my status then I heard this “Additional/Extended Review” thing. Now it is bothering me a lot. I thought my application is back to pavilion and wait again. I don’t have much patience to wait for that long time if it is again FBI Name check/Security check. I went to USCIS website, found why it is happening again. Here is the information I got from them and concluded that it might be the reason our applications are in “Additional/Extended Review” status. I copied only useful info about this issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.3 General Adjudication Procedures [Revised 08-09-2006]
The following steps generally apply to all cases processed by the adjudications unit within a service center or local office (including all naturalization and nationality applications). Depending upon local procedures, these steps may be handled by a single adjudicator, or they may be broken down according to task with various tasks being handled by different employees.

(a) Case Review . Each case must be thoroughly reviewed to determine jurisdiction, presence of required supporting documentation, existence of relating files and basic statutory eligibility. If there is a relating A file, whether or not reviewed, endorse the file number on Forms I-94 and the petition or application if they have not already been so noted.

(b) IBIS Checks . The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) is a multi-agency effort to improve border enforcement and facilitate inspections of applicants for admission into the United States. Its usage was recently expanded to include background investigations on persons seeking immigration benefits. A complete IBIS query also includes a concurrent check of the NCIC Hot Files. An approved NCIC check queries the following databases:

Wants and Warrants
Missing Persons
Violent Gang and Terrorists
Protection Order File
Registered Sexual Offender
Secret Service Presidential Protection
Foreign Fugitives
Deported Felons and
Supervised Release File.

At this time, NCIC III checks are not permitted by the FBI in the benefits arena.

IBIS queries are conducted to assist law enforcement agencies to identify risks to the community and/or to national security and to prevent ineligible aliens from obtaining immigration benefits. Employees working with benefit applications in application support centers, asylum offices, district offices, and service centers, who have the required security clearances for the Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS), and who have been trained and certified, currently conduct IBIS queries as part of the adjudication process. More specific procedural information on IBIS queries is contained in the Immigration Services Division (ISD) IBIS SOP, which is located in Appendix 10-6 of this field manual.

(1) General requirements . Except as provided in paragraph (b)(2), an application or petition shall not be approved or revalidated until the name (to include aliases) of the petitioner, applicant, beneficiary, and the names of any spouse and children who will derive an immediate benefit through their relationship (without filing a separate application) have been checked against IBIS, in accordance with the procedures. If such a check reveals the existence of relating files, or other information, they shall be obtained and considered before making a determination upon the application or petition.

An IBIS query on a new application/petition must be run within 15 calendar days of initial receipt. In addition to the initial query, an IBIS query must be conducted at any of the following times, if evidence of the IBIS query indicates it is no longer current (i.e. more than 90 days old):

· At the time of decision;
(Our cases comes under this category)

Prior to final decision, checks must be performed on additional names or alternate DOB’s that become known during the adjudicative process. Officers reviewing USCIS files and the results of IBIS checks must determine whether aliases and variations on name spellings appear in the file and if so, initiate IBIS checks on all discovered aliases and name variations.

The Record of IBIS Query (ROIQ) form must be used to record all names that are queried, the date of the query, and the basic result of those queries. A new ROIQ must be completed for each separately filed application.

All names on the ROIQ must have current checks (i.e. no older than 90 days) in order for the adjudication to proceed to final decision. The outcome of the IBIS query is annotated in one of three blocks:

· IBIS OK indicates there was no match for the search criteria listed.

· IBIS DNR indicates that although a match exists, it does not relate to the queried name.

· IBIS REF indicates that the case was referred for resolution of a positive result(s).

Annotations should include the initials, or unique employee ID number, of the person completing the query and the date it was performed. If the checks are completed as part of a batch process, the date the result was posted in Claims History will be annotated in the Batch Number/Date block.

A Resolution Memorandum is used to document the reconciliation of an IBIS positive result. This is a mandatory action completed prior to rendering an adjudicative decision and is annotated in the appropriate box on the ROIQ.

(2) Exceptions . The IBIS system does not need to be checked prior to approval with respect to any applicant, beneficiary or dependent if:

· He or she is under 14 years of age at the time of approval or denial of the application or petition;

· An IBIS check has been performed and found to be negative on the same application or petition, or a concurrently-filed application or petition, involving such individual within the previous 90 days;

· He or she is a beneficiary on a nonimmigrant visa petition and the names of the beneficiaries are unavailable at the time of adjudication, e.g., an H-2A petition or an H-2B petition filed in accordance with 8 CFR 214.2(h)(2)(iii) .

(c) Other Records . A check of the Headquarters records may also be made with respect to the applicant, petitioner or beneficiary, but only when it is believed such a check would produce pertinent information. See Chapter 3(B)(1) of the Records Operations Handbook for information on checking other records.

Any further action that may be required, short of approval of the petition, shall not be delayed while the request for the Headquarters record check is pending.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I spoke to IO/SR in NSC yesterday, she explained me "Additional/Extended Review" means waiting for results within USCIS or from other USCIS related agencies and it should be done for every single application.

So I believe every application has to go through these checks, but the time to get results are vary depends on application/person.

Every application has to pass three different checks....

1. Name Check : This will be done by FBI, which takes from 2 months to 5 years....(I guess)

2. FBI finger prints : This will be done in ASC and results will be submitted by FBI to USCIS.

3. IBIS Check : This will be initiated by ONLY Service center or Local office where your application is in process. If your application is in Service center/local office then only that office can see your query or results. This will be completed when you submit your application, but results only valid until 90 days and will check again when your application is ready to be adjudicated. I don't think it will take more time since it has been done initially.

So most of the times we hear our security check has been done in Infopass, but when you call Service center, they inform our security checks are in pending... When you hear your security checks completed in Infopass, it has been completed only 1 out of 3. the other two should be initiated and hear the results only in service center or local office where your application is in pending.

In general we combine 1, 3 and calling them are security checks.... even though first one is done, our security checks are not done fully since third one is in process/pending.

That is the reason why some times local office said your checks are done, but Service centers says it is in pending.....

This is only my guess and welcomes all comments on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

Even I didn't read this info before, I came to know that they conduct internal checks ON A RANDOMLY selected files.

In one of the thread one person got an SR (early 2007) saying that the file got selected for EXTENDED REVIEW and sorry for the inconvenience. I think they changed the contect on the SR response now and removed the word Extended Review but saying additional review.

I got a response from NSC IO's also (2 times) that my file is picked up for EXTENDED REVIEW and sent to QUALITY CONTROL along with many other applications.

So I am thinking even they do all these checks before they approve the cases and completed for my file too some time back. I strongly believe they randomly select some files for their internal audit after all these checks. My attorney expressed the same feeling after i told him about the Quality department in USCIS.

I believe "extended review" or "internal review" means they lost our files such as our "A file". Google "A file" and you will find out a PDF file talking about missing A file could cause the case substantially delay of approval.

may be true.

My attorney told me the same thing when I told him about the Extended Review. But later on after I heard about the QUALITY CONTROL, I talked with him again. He said that may be true and they periodically check their processes and select some files.

I am not sure whichever is right. In one of the Extended Review case (vicky007) they lost the I-140 notice.

I only know that I am waiting indefinitely without my mistake.

I am also in similar situation. I applied I485/I140 09/30, 2005. 140 approved within 3 months, but I485 still pending. June, 2007 i heard from info. pass everything is clear except namecheck for me and my wife, stuck since 2005. I sent letters to cong./senate/FL for the Namecheck. My wife (derivative) did SR and got reply on July 20th says its pending. I put SR on July 5, 2007 and got reply on Aug.22, 2007 saying '...actively processing...Additional Review...contact us within 60 days". I don't know what it is. does my namecheck cleared and really they actively process my case, i don't know. anybody have any idea.

Also today I got email from CRIS saying our EADs (3rd) are approved (card production), wepplied EAD/AP on mid of July.

Extended Security Review still waiting - priority date EB2- Nov 2002

Hello,
My priortiy date is EB2- Nov 2002. My I485 has been pending more than 4 years although it was current for more than 4 years. I took help from Senator twice and both the times CIS mentioned I will need to wait for 6 months and my case is in extended security review and they are waiting responses from external agencies. Only god know why this went to security review and I am from India. I did not have any clue about this. All the times when I visited Infopass they mentioned everything is clear for me and however they never processed my case.

After the long years they sent the RFE for me finally in september 2009 and my RFE has been replied in the middle of NOvember 2009. I thought when I received my RFE everything is clear for me and they will be making a final decision. My bad luck they did not make any decsion till now. I have been working in US for more than 10 years for major reputed companies in the IT field. I am not sure how and why they have selected my case. I am really worried about the entire processes and I am sure the total process about the security review in my case is just waste of time for them.

Attorneys or applicants who had similar situation earlier and successfully over come the same please share your opinion. I am tired with everyone following up my case for these many years.