Became US Citizen in Portland, OR

sapro

Registered Users (C)
On 12/17/2007 (Monday), I became a US Citizen in Portland, OR Naturalization ceremony. The Interviewer went through pretty much each and every question from the N-400 form. She asked if I would like to change my name and I said no. Then she confirmed my day time phone number. I gave an update of my address history.

In employment, she asked if I still work for Company X and asked if the other jobs were contracts since I had a big employment history. The interviewer went through all the details very fast from part 1 of my filled form.

Other questions were about affiliations and all of Part 10. Then I signed part 13 and part 14 in cursive format.

Finally, she asked me six (6) questions. I got all the 6 correct so she didn't ask more. Then came the reading and writing of English sentences which went fine. The writing sentence she gave was 'They live together in the house'. I even remember the 6 civics questions but I don't want to bore other people. It is from the list of 96 questions.

At about 1:50 pm, 40 people were waiting in the queue for Oath ceremony and all got naturalized.

Many thanks to all who helped me in making the process smoother. I took lot of documents but the interviewer asked only what was printed in the Interview letter. I applied for expedited Passport in the nearest post office.

Many thanks to all the people in this forum especially boatbod, flydog, kkboy,Huracan, N400Atl,Kagemusha,rwsh,1caliN400 etc who help others tremendously.

I already posted my Interview experience on 12/17/2007 but it was not noticed since I added my experience in 'Portland Oregon timeline' thread.

Good luck to all the people who are waiting to get naturalized.

Anybody knows what the timeline for Portland,OR? I was told 2 weeks ago that I am queued for Oathtaking. Just hope the letter won't get lost in the mail. DO is 3 hours drive from where I live. Is there a phone I can call or when can I follow up? Thanks for the info.

Received my OL

I just recieved my OL dated 4/15/08. My Oath will be on May 16, 2008 and it will be held in Eugene, OR. The ffg is my timeline:

PD - 4/15/07
2ND Fingerprinting - 6/12/07
Interview Letter - 11/15/07
Interview - 1/7/08 - N14 need Police Clearance, FBI could not read my fingerprint
Police Clearance mailed - 1/16/08
Info Pass - 2/29/08 - Queued for Oath
Oath Letter - 4/15/08
Oath - 5/16/08

It appears that if you pass the interview and you have complete documents, and the interview is scheduled in the morning, it is very likely that you will have your oath in the afternoon. If your interview is in the afternoon, there is a possibility of having you come back the next day for oath, if not, then you will have to wait for your oath letter. The interview went well, the officer was kind, but FBI could not read my fingerprint that's why I was asked to submit Police clearance. After 2 months of waiting, I had an infopass and they told me I am queued for oath. I waited more, then I called USCIS on April 14 (they will accomodate you if you did not recieve eny response 90 days after the interview) i was told I had my OL March 30, but I did not receive it, and it may have triggered another OL for me. The Officers are all kind and courteous and I really had a very pleasant experience on my application. Good luck to all.

Interview - 1/7/08 - N14 need Police Clearance, FBI could not read my fingerprint.
The interview went well, the officer was kind, but FBI could not read my fingerprint that's why I was asked to submit Police clearance.

Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations! Can you please share with us your experience with obtaining Police Clearance? What is the procedure?
I'm suprised that you didn't have second fingerprint appointment, prior to the interview.

That's my 2nd FP

I had 2 FP, they had to repeat it because FBI could not read it. At the interview, they told me they could not finish it that day because the 2nd FP was again unreadable. If FP was ok, oath was the next day. So the Officer gave me n-14 to have the Police Clearance. The deadline to submit the Police Clearance is one month (February 6). I went to Salem the next day, the Police Officer said, it was not uncommon. They have requests for Police Clearance from USCIS applicants. I had my FP, and in less than a week, Salem Police mailed me my Police Clearance. I mailed it to the DO the next day. I waited long.... and had my infopass. During the infopass, they told me that 2-3 weeks after the deadline to submit the Police Clearance, they will start to review the documents, and I had to be patient. Bottomline, they will not review your papers upon receipt... it will take 2 months (from interview)to wait before they review your papers again if you have to do a Police Clearance.

portland oath dates?

Does anyone know if I can find out the oath dates/time in Portland, Oregon online???:confused:

I will have my interview at 2pm in June and want to get my oath done asap... any suggestions how I could do that? any success stories for anyone? :cool:THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Tips: No, you can't find it. Bring all your documents, and picture (in case they would need one). If your documents are complete and you pass the interview, you should have your oath the following day. If not and they give you N-652, then you are queued for oath. and it will take quite a long time, so it is necessary for you to pass the interview and have all your documents complete. If you have new documents, bring it along and give the Officer a copy. Good luck

First, thank you for your response.
Since my interview is at 2pm, do u think I could get there at 1pm and perhaps the IO could interview me if he/she is free? then maybe I could have oath the same day? (I've seen others who wrote in the forum had oath at 2pm, do u know if that's the only time of the day for oath?)

No. They will entertain you not earlier than 1:30.Then you will wait for about 15 mins. Interview will take about 15-20 mins. Just aim for the next day's oath. Good luck!

Been reading various threads and am somewhat confused. Maybe someone can help me. Have the rules changed to same-day oath in that it is not an option any more?

I am scheduled for my interview in December in Portland, OR and it is early at 8:30a.m. They said it would take about 2 hours (good grief!). So obviously I would like to get in for same-day oath if that is still an available option.

Also are family allowed to the ceremony?

Leveller,

You should be able to do same day oath but I did hear from people who had interview in the morning didn't get to do oath the same day and had to wait for letter in the mail to see when the oath ceremony would be.
My experience is that my interview was in the afternoon and I had my oath ceremony the next day. Good luck!

Now I'm REALLY excited. Thanks for the heads up yoga123. Could be the best Christmas present ever!!!

Can family attend...is there a guest limit per applicant?

Just wanted to provide some feedback to encourage others going through this process.

I had my interview and civics test at 8:30am and passed both. Got put on the same-day Oath Ceremony and was sworn in at 2:00pm in Portland, OR. One of our sons and my Mother In Law were able to make it up in time.

Tips: Make sure you have new passport photos with you, and all paperwork used in the application - originals and copies, just in case. If you want to change your name for any reason you will NOT get a same-day ceremony.