Beating the H-1 6 year limit

toasterbiscuit

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I am currently residing in California on an H-1B with a year and 8 months to go. I find processing my GC in California to be risky because even if I go the RIR track, it will take at least 1 year and 7 months according to current processing times. Also I would assume that amidst all the lay-offs in the West coast, immigration might even investigate some RIR cases possibly increasing the processing time further.

In this scenario, I was thinking about going with one of two consulting companies in New York and New Jersey who are showing some interest in employing me. I believe this could be advantageous considering the processing time in these states are much faster. My question arises about me wanting to stay in the Bay Area with my relations. Is it possible to have a client here and work for a consulting company in the East Coast and enjoy the processing times for the East Coast?

Any help would be much appreciated asap.

Thanks,

Srini

No Title

I don\'t know how you reach that idea. The situation in NY and NJ is not any better than the one in CA. They stuck with cases filed in April, 2001 for months.

People say RIR is a faster track. It is not necessary so. Please compare processing times at SESA(SWA) and DOL in every state. If you seek for RIR, you need to think about a time to prepare documentation to prove employer\'s recruitement effort, too. This takes at least two months.

This is not a good thread for you to ask about LC process. You may get better advice at Labor Certification thread or H-1 6 years expiring thread.

Please don\'t waste your time. Good luck!

http://www.immigrationportal.com/WebX?128@@.efe0644

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: toasterbiscuit

First, the answer to your question: yes, it is possible to work for a consulting company based on the east coast, while maintaining a home and client location in CA. Many large companies, especially consulting firms, centralize immigration processing for their employees, and apply via head office locations. If you work in CA for a company whose head office is in NY/NJ, you may get your immigration processing done in NY via Vermont Service Center.

Having said that, it is impossible to predict processing times of any service center for a two years (typical time for GC) window. In 2000, CSC\'s processing was very fast, while VSC\'s I-140 processing had halted for nine months.

Follow Chao Chao\'s link for more information on this topic.

You may also consider immigrating to Canada, though that is taking a long time too.