BC Affidavit-Original or Copy

Planet3rd

Registered Users (C)
Friends - Many of you submitted affidavits when you received RFE on late regsitered Birth certificate.

Did you submit the originals or the copies only?

Thanks

A copy of affidavit has no meaning. You should submit Original. Keep a copy in your file.
However, any legal opinions here, guys?

I submitted copies for me and my wife when I applied 485.
WHen we got RFE they asked for Orginals for my wife. However they did not ask me anything related to affidavits.

But I agree with ganse that affidavit copies are not meaningful

USCIS always ask for copies not "original". If they want to see your original, they will ask you to appear at local service station.

Dear

I submitted a copy of the affidavit. In fact, it was a scanned jpeg file emailed by my parents. I just forwarded the attachment to the attorney and attorney took a print and submitted to USCIS. No problem. My I-485 was approved within a week.

for my 140 RFE, they asked me "Originals" for all my Degree certificate, and all mark sheets and transcripts.
For my wife 485 as I said below they asked for "Original" affidavit.

for 140 my lawyer sent the originals with some special form(thats what he said to me) and i got back the originals within one week of approval.

man but that was heck of time imagine sending all originals. I had my heart in hand till I got them back. I feared that officer may shred the documents. so I laminated all of them in Kinkos. to add my tensions somebody told me that INS does not accept any thing laminated.

In the end everything worked out well

I think if USCIS requires originals they would ask for it. However, my attorney does not want to submit the copies of affidavits. I think she is being extra cautious about it, which is fine with me. I am getting the originals by registered post from India. I pray to the postal god that they are not lost or damaged.

Planet3rd said:
I think if USCIS requires originals they would ask for it. However, my attorney does not want to submit the copies of affidavits. I think she is being extra cautious about it, which is fine with me. I am getting the originals by registered post from India. I pray to the postal god that they are not lost or damaged.

I agree, if original is required USCIS will ask for it. I sent copies of affidavits. The only original document I sent was employment letter on company letter head upon my attorney's direction.

Just like RVG, I also submitted copies of the affidavit, i.e.scanned jpeg file emailed by my parents. I also forwarded the attachment to the attorney and attorney took a print and submitted to USCIS.

But I do have the originals with me. My attorney said in case they want originals then we can send them.

Thanks
Shyla