Basic Question : What do they check in I485 ??

I have a basic question, as to what does the INS check during the I485 stage.
LC is when the DOL verifies that the job exists and there is no qualified US worker available to do it. I-140 is the immigrant petition during which INS verifies that the job exists, and the person is qualified for the job in the employement category chosen.

What does the INS check during the I485 stage ? in what cases can a denial or a RFE be generated. Can the immigration guru\'s on this board shed some light on this ? I am sure that this is the question that most people have visiting this board.

Thats it ??

If they only check the criminal history, then why such a long wait ? I am sure they check more than that, can someone else give an opinion.

Infinite loop

After Checking criminal history, it\'ll feed in a computer program which is basically an infinite loop which will time out after a year or two. I hope you got it !

No Title

I think the following are the things they check @ 485.

1. That you have entered in the country legally and have maintained a valid legal status through out your stay in USA.
2. That you do not have any criminal record.
3. That you have been paying your taxes.
4. In cases of material change in the employment, they re-check the I-140. They can revoke the earlier I-140 if any differences are found and in turn deny the 485 application.

More information can be found at other immigration sites like immihelp.com.