Bank Statement not accepted at Interview

b0nd

Registered Users (C)
I had filed I-130 for my parents and they had an interview on Thursday. For I-864 (Affidavit of support) I did not meet the Income Requirements so I used my Checking and Saving account statements to make up for it. NVC kept on processing the application but at the time of interview the local embassy did not accept the latest return, although they did not explicitly mention anything about it. They simply handed my parents Refusal worksheet stating that I needed to get a Joint sponsor. My Checking account balance was more than twice required to make up the deficiency in the tax return. Can someone please advise what should be done in such a case? I tried to look up online but couldn't find anything reliable. Some posters on various sites advised using an original letter from the bank showing my average balance for one year.

In I-864 instruction, they require you have 5x the difference between Poverty Guideline and your Income.
I had filed I-130 for my parents and they had an interview on Thursday. For I-864 (Affidavit of support) I did not meet the Income Requirements so I used my Checking and Saving account statements to make up for it. NVC kept on processing the application but at the time of interview the local embassy did not accept the latest return, although they did not explicitly mention anything about it. They simply handed my parents Refusal worksheet stating that I needed to get a Joint sponsor. My Checking account balance was more than twice required to make up the deficiency in the tax return. Can someone please advise what should be done in such a case? I tried to look up online but couldn't find anything reliable. Some posters on various sites advised using an original letter from the bank showing my average balance for one year.

Well if your account did not consistently show an amount exceeding the required difference, it would be rejected. The instructions say In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size.

Was your account balance equal this?

Of course I am aware of the 5x rule. What I meant was that my checking account balance is double the 5x amount required. To be more clear I have $6k less than the required amount and have $60k in the bank.
So my originial questions stands, has someone sponsored their relatives based on their bank statement? I am also looking for the correct way to present the bank statement as alternate means of meeting Affidavit of support income requirements. I do not have a house, bonds, stock or a joint sponsor so I am only left with the choice of showing my bank account balance. On a side note I haven't touched that money for over 2 years but I want to know the correct way to present my case.
I am also doubting if the IO in the local embassy even looked at the bank statement or did her calculations based on it because she never mentioned if to my parents. She told them I had $6k less, which is from my 2010 tax return. The statement was a print out from Online Account Activity page for the past one year.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to use bank statements for the Affidavit of Support, you need to show multiple consecutive months of having the required amount, so they don't think it's just some money you borrowed for a month to prop up your balance.

Also, an "online activity" printout isn't good enough (even though it may have the same information as the statements). They want to see actual statements, month after month after month. Given the issues you're having, you should also visit the bank and get them to produce the statements. Or print out the PDF statements yourself, then go to the bank and ask them to give you an official letter saying that your current balance is $X and your balance at some date in May and April were $Y and $Z.

Then when you have that, include a letter to explain that you're using assets to make up the shortfall. Show the calculation: your income is $A, the requirement is $B, the difference is $C, you know you need 5 times the difference which is $D, etc.

Make sure you listed your assets on the I-864 in the section where it ask for assets. If you didn't, send a new I-864 with the assets listed. Also include the page from the I-864 instructions which describes the use of assets, highlighting the relevant paragraphs.

Last edited by a moderator: