bank problems

bluelikethat

Registered Users (C)
I am in the US on a J-1 visa for a 6 month practical training job with a magazine. I am living in Birmingham, AL, and I'm a UK citizen. I went to get a bank account last weekend -- a free checking account -- and was told that I could not get an account because I don't have a US driving license. I don't want to have to take another driving test -- I spoke to someone at the DMV and they told me that I should not apply for an Alabama driving license but should continue to drive with my British license and International Driver's Permit, which I have. Despite having a Social Security Number and all the other required documentation, I don't seem to be able to open a bank account. This is proving a problem now that I am receiving paychecks from the company I work for...

Any advice....?

Get a state ID instead of driver's license; it will cost you about $10, but you will wait for it for several weeks, or better try a different bank. Best look for something next to a university campus and just tell them that you go to school there. Bank should open a checking account based on the passport only.

ur company can help in this. Request ur company to provide u a reference letter, I dont think they shld hav problem in opening a bank account.

I am sure the magazine that that you are working for has some arrangement with a bank for their employees. Go to that bank, if required ask your boss to give a call to that bank, or write an email. If they don't have such a arrangement with any bank, then get a reference letter.

Apart from this, Bank of America should be able to let you open an account with them using your passport.

Also someone suggested getting a state ID. I remember getting my state ID on the spot a while ago (2000), and that was in IL. If you get a state ID you don't have to carry your passport with you all the time for any identification. That is another advantage in getting the state ID.

bluelikethat said:
I am in the US on a J-1 visa for a 6 month practical training job with a magazine. I am living in Birmingham, AL, and I'm a UK citizen. I went to get a bank account last weekend -- a free checking account -- and was told that I could not get an account because I don't have a US driving license. I don't want to have to take another driving test -- I spoke to someone at the DMV and they told me that I should not apply for an Alabama driving license but should continue to drive with my British license and International Driver's Permit, which I have. Despite having a Social Security Number and all the other required documentation, I don't seem to be able to open a bank account. This is proving a problem now that I am receiving paychecks from the company I work for...

Any advice....?

bluelikethat said:

Any advice....?

Actually my advice is to go back and ask to speak to a supervisor if you haven't done so already. The Patriot Act has made opening a bank account more stringent, but nowhere does it say that non-citizens are required to present a US drivers license. Your passport should be ample evidence, especially as you also have a Social Security Card. Or just go to another branch of that same bank or a different bank altogether, it seems that you dealt with a very misinformed clerk.