Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Sunrise,

Don't worry. The interview should be a formality provided nothing new has arisen since your application and you don't have any of the red flags. My experience (and that of others I have spoken with) is that the interview is just an opportunity for the officer to make sure everything you've told them is accurate and complete and that nothing new has arisen. The officer went out of his way to make my experience as painless as possible.

You have no selective service obligation so no worries there.

I don't think my questions are any indication of what you may encounter, but the ones I remember were: why 13 stripes on the flag; who elects the president; length of time president serves; name of chief executive of a state (governor); name of first 10 amendments to the constitution.

They are asked orally, then I was asked to read a seventh question and write a very simple English sentence.

Good luck and don't stress out!

- AO only asked for Maryland Drivers License, greencard, selective service docs, and passport.
- interview consisted mostly of checking off items and ensuring accuracy of application; no surprises
- everyone in the office was unfailingly pleasant and curteous.
- civics test:
Did you have to register for Selective service and thats the reason why the IO asked you for the docs? I am assuming that you were <26 yrs of age when you got your GC.

On the flip side, if you did not register for SS and didnt need to, what was your reply to the IO when he asked you for the docs?

For people like who got their GC after 26 years of age, do they need to carry any sort of documentation? I was under the impression that you dont need to. But my IL lists it as one of the documents needed during the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes some IOs ask for "status information letters" (SIL) from the Selective Service. If you are neither a male, or if you are >26 yrs when you immigrated, I think this is a moot point, so personally I would not bother getting one. But, if it helps you sleep better at night, you could request an SIL from the Selective Service. It's free, and it comes in the mail within 7-10 days, which is probably in time for your interview.

Sometimes some IOs ask for "status information letters" (SIL) from the Selective Service. If you are neither a male, or if you are >26 yrs when you immigrated, I think this is a moot point, so personally I would not bother getting one. But, if it helps you sleep better at night, you could request an SIL from the Selective Service. It's free, and it comes in the mail within 7-10 days, which is probably in time for your interview.

Thanks for the reply. I was >26 when I immigrated. I will see how I can request an SIL, I assume there is a number to call.

Rwickra, during your interview, were you asked anything about SS? I assume you were over 26 when you first immigrated.

Oath date for name change applicants

Rwickra or anyone,

Do they give the oath date and time even for ppl who have opted for name change?

Thanks,

Vlorak -

I had an issue similar to yours, and I tried with my adjudicating officer(AO) to plead for an earlier oath date. Really, they don't have control over oath scheduling because once the AO decides that you're through with the interview, your file gets hand-delivered to the front desk where an Information Officer (IO) will schedule you. The IOs automatically do offer the earliest date available. In my case, the next available oath date was 1 week from the interview date, but when I asked my IO if I could get an earlier oath because of my travel, she offered to give me a later oath date instead. Otherwise, you can assume that they will give you the earliest oath date.

Also, you do not have to wait to get an oath letter in the mail. In Baltimore at least, you will get your oath letter right after your interview. The letter will contain your oath date and time, and will have a hand-written number at on the bottom left -- this number is to keep track of how many people get oath letters for a particular oath ceremony. Mine is 50 something, so I'm guessing there's at least 50 other people taking their oaths with me. The letter will also contain the same series of questions on your N-400 to update them if you've traveled, or have been arrested, convicted etc, since your interview.

For most DOs I'm beginning to see a pattern in the questions asked during the civics test. I was asked 6 questions, and remarkably several other people in other threads on this forum reported being asked the EXACT SAME 6 QUESTIONS... Here they are. I think these are the first six appearing on the question sheets of most AOs.

1. What do we celebrate on 4th of July?
2. Who is the US vice president?
3. What is the constitution?
4. Can the constitution be changed?
5. How many senators are there?
6. What is the national anthem of the United States?

hmm..interesting..how come I didn't meet you during FP? Just kidding..:) Maybe we will meet during interview..do I know you from green card years? doesn't ring me a bell..

I may think abt cancelling my name change if there's gonna be a significant delay for oath date..i am just trying to find out more info on the delay..

Roran,

As I heard from many cases, for name change, the interviewer can't give you an answer about oath time/date until name check is completed. For example, see http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=278903

By the way, Your DO, mailing date, pd, fp, and interview date are same as mine! :) but only your interview time is 20 minutes earlier than mine.

hmm..interesting..how come I didn't meet you during FP? Just kidding..:) Maybe we will meet during interview..do I know you from green card years? doesn't ring me a bell..

I may think abt cancelling my name change if there's gonna be a significant delay for oath date..i am just trying to find out more info on the delay..

I believe we asked each questions on the forum during gc years, but we didnt meet each other personally for sure. :) yeah. maybe we will meet during interview.

Became a U.S. citizen!

Hey everyone,

I just became a U.S. citizen. The ceremony was pretty nice, held at the Baltimore district office of USCIS. We were first all asked to wait in the lobby, and then everyone was asked to form a singlefile line, and take the elevators upto the 7th Floor, where the Naturalization ceremony room is. It's a big auditorium with about 100-200 seats, U.S. flags everywhere, a podium, a big table where two officers sit, and a big screen TV.

We were seated on either side of the aile, L and R -- everyone who got into the auditorium started seating on the L of the aile (when facing the podium, i.e. the side closest to the door), but the people on the R side of the aile (when facing the podium) were actually taken first for processing by the two officers. Either way, it really doesn't make much of a difference since everyone takes the oath together, and nobody leaves until everyone has received certificates. When processing begins, one officer checked the green oath letter for any new additions/changes/travel etc, and forwarded you to the two officers seated at the table, who take your oath letter, collect your green card, and then show you your naturalization certificate and ask you to verify that everything is correct. Apparently, this is a big deal and if any error isn't fixed within the ceremony it takes a few more months wait and a fat check to get it fixed by filing a new form with USCIS -- so they encourage everyone to carefully check their certificate for errors. They then give you some documents to read while the rest of the crowd gets processed -- including a citizen's almanac, and some sheets that describe the naturalization process, the oath, passport application information, voter registration etc; and importantly, a letter from GWB welcoming you to the nation! -- Then, one of the officers goes over the process, and the district office supervisor comes in, and plays the star spangled banner, and has everyone rise with their right hand raised and take the oath of naturalization. She then distributes naturalization certificates to people with a cute flag to wave around, and then everyone takes the pledge of allegiance, and a video from GWB plays on the screen. That's it. The ceremony itself takes about 15 minutes tops, but the whole process takes a minimum of 1.5-2 hrs. I would take that into account when finding parking.

Man... I'm so relieved that the process is over. I've waited 20 yrs for this day, and tomorrow morning I'm going to apply for a U.S. passport!

Good luck to everyone else, and thanks for sharing your experience. I will surely stay around and check our thread from time to time to help others along.
:):):)

Thanks for the reply. I was >26 when I immigrated. I will see how I can request an SIL, I assume there is a number to call.

Rwickra, during your interview, were you asked anything about SS? I assume you were over 26 when you first immigrated.

Nikkonstar,

When I interviewed, the officer asked to look at my SS registration. I showed him the registration card (I was just 2 months shy of my 26th birthday when I became a LPR, so I registered anyways). But I'm sure if you were >26 it should not be a problem. If you're worried, take a status information letter -- you can request it at www.sss.gov.

But again, if you were >26 when you entered, I really doubt that it would be an issue.

Rwickra or anyone,

Do they give the oath date and time even for ppl who have opted for name change?

Thanks,

Roran,

No. If you opted for a name change, then you have to go to the judicial naturalization ceremony held at the Baltimore District Courts, and not to the civil ceremony which USCIS holds almost daily in its auditorium. Today (during my oath) there was actually one applicant, who, for some reason slipped through the cracks and was issued an oath letter right after the interview, although she had requested a name change. I believe the officer gave her the choice of continuing with the oath without a name change (and having her file a motion to change her name at the U.S. district court at a later date), or forfeiting the oath ceremony and deferring her file to a later judicial ceremony where she can naturalize under her new name.... Given how crazy things have been with USCIS, I believe she chose option (A) -- to go ahead with her existing name and naturalize, and file a name change later. Personally, I thought it was a smarter move. It's certainly a lot easier to get things done once you're a US citizen - since you're no longer under USCIS jurisdiction.

Nikkonstar,

When I interviewed, the officer asked to look at my SS registration. I showed him the registration card (I was just 2 months shy of my 26th birthday when I became a LPR, so I registered anyways). But I'm sure if you were >26 it should not be a problem. If you're worried, take a status information letter -- you can request it at www.sss.gov.

But again, if you were >26 when you entered, I really doubt that it would be an issue.
Thanks for the reply, but the thing is it says in IL that I should bring my SS information. I am going to send my SS status information form tomorrow and see if I get it in time.

And congrats on your Citizenship. :)

I hope that I will get this over with soon as well.

Merging files

How do I check the status of this so far(read below).
Thanks

I went to Baltimore for my interview and everything went well. I passed all the questions. I was told I would get a letter in the mail for my oath date because from my first visa entry into the USA (working in another state) and from my green card I have now, I have two file numbers. they said they will get my other file and need to merge the two and then I will get my letter for my oath. So I am now just waiting for that.

rwicka
YAY. you're done. congrats. now, don't you think of disappearing from this forum...at least until i am done. pleeeasssee.
are you doing an expedited passport service?

Thanks! My IL letter just asks to bring GC and passport..i quit my employer within a month after obtaining GC..i have a letter from the employer regarding that b/c it was a contract to hire position and i was hired by the company directly..i had no choice..but the IL never specified to bring anything to prove that..also i had a citation in 2006 for taking a wrong left turn..but i dont think i eneterd it anywhere in the N400 form as i didnt thought it was necessary..y shld i even bother to take anything that's not specified in the IL? Guys, correct me if i am wrong..i am just going to go with my GC and Passport and IL..

Roran,

No. If you opted for a name change, then you have to go to the judicial naturalization ceremony held at the Baltimore District Courts, and not to the civil ceremony which USCIS holds almost daily in its auditorium. Today (during my oath) there was actually one applicant, who, for some reason slipped through the cracks and was issued an oath letter right after the interview, although she had requested a name change. I believe the officer gave her the choice of continuing with the oath without a name change (and having her file a motion to change her name at the U.S. district court at a later date), or forfeiting the oath ceremony and deferring her file to a later judicial ceremony where she can naturalize under her new name.... Given how crazy things have been with USCIS, I believe she chose option (A) -- to go ahead with her existing name and naturalize, and file a name change later. Personally, I thought it was a smarter move. It's certainly a lot easier to get things done once you're a US citizen - since you're no longer under USCIS jurisdiction.

I wont, or I could borrow my baby diaper, LOL
btw am I allow to bring cellphone and digital camera to the office? is any body know this? also where is a good and cheap place for parking. Since my husband will go along, will he allow to go inside with me or must wait somewhere else?
My appoitment is at 9.40am, will I get same day Oath Ceremony? if yes I guess we have to hanging around until it's time, and Ooo where is the best place to eat ;)
I know it's too many questions. I'm very exciting :)
Don't pee in your pants now :D

There are no cell phones allowed inside the building, and no cameras allowed anywhere except in the upstairs oath room.

Your husband can wait in the waiting room while you are being interviewed, and then he can come upstairs and be with you while you take the oath.