Baltimore N-400 Timeline

English and Civic Test

I have recieved fingerprinting notice for me and my wife. It is on saturday the 08/26 at Wheaton.

Will I be allowed to take English and civic test at the center as it is saturday?

Brajac,
Where you allowed to take the Civics and English language tests at Wheaton? I am scheduled for 8/26 saturday. Also are children allowed to accompany us for the Fingerprinting.

doc75 said:
Brajac,
Where you allowed to take the Civics and English language tests at Wheaton? I am scheduled for 8/26 saturday. Also are children allowed to accompany us for the Fingerprinting.
Ability to take the test depends on whether a test administration officer is available at the center on that day. Don't worry about it too much. Its 10 questions in a row and it finishes when you answer the 6th one correctly. It takes 3 mins to complete the test. So, could be easily done on interview day.

There is a seating area where one of you can take care of the children while the other goes for scanning but try not to take them if possible.

Any insight on how long it is taking for IL after FP? Its been 3 weeks for me now.

What does case status disappearing mean?

Does case status disappearing from the bcis.gov website mean that the IL has been mailed out. I was reading something to that effect on another thread but could not conclude for sure. Could someone clarify please.

Barajac, Thanks for the info on fingerprinting. How is the parking? Also di I have to ask for Civics and English test or will I be offered if the administrator is available?

Yes thats true, from the day the case disappears from uscis.gov, it takes about 2 dys to get the IL in mail.

I finally received the interview letter a little more than two months after FP. Please see my timeline below. My online status was also changed to case not found few days before receiving the interview letter.
By the way, is Birth Certificate needed for the interview in Baltimore? It is not on the list of required documents from USCIS...Please let me know. Thank you.

rockville2006 said:
I finally received the interview letter a little more than two months after FP. Please see my timeline below. My online status was also changed to case not found few days before receiving the interview letter.
By the way, is Birth Certificate needed for the interview in Baltimore? It is not on the list of required documents from USCIS...Please let me know. Thank you.
I am trying to determine if a correlation exists between the delay between FP and IL and the act of applying 90 days before 5 years of GC. Did you apply 90 days before or after the completion of 5 yrs on GC?

--------------------
Mail Dt: 06/20/2006
Rcvd Dt: 06/23/2006 (88 days prior to 5yrs on GC)
Priority Dt: 06/23/2006
Notice Dt: 06/30/2006
Appl Receipt Rcvd: 07/07/2006
FP Letter Rcvd: 07/10/2006
FP Dt: 07/28/2006
IV Letter Rcvd: ????
IV Dt: ????
Oath Dt: ????

doc75 said:
Barajac, Thanks for the info on fingerprinting. How is the parking? Also di I have to ask for Civics and English test or will I be offered if the administrator is available?

Yes thats true, from the day the case disappears from uscis.gov, it takes about 2 dys to get the IL in mail.
It is a big strip mall. Parking is not an issue. The sign at the office is half worn off. So, go with some time at hand to locate it. Almost all merchants on the mall know where it is. You can ask the person you first meet who will give you a number and ask you to wait till your number is called. He will tell you if the test administration would be possible that day. I would recommend going about 20 mins early.

--------------------

rockville2006 said:
Take it with you if you have it. Infact take everything that is common sense in nature. There is a link somewhere on the US Citizenship chat group that has a meticulously compiled lidt of things to take with you. I know your arms will hurt carrying all the tax returns, etc. but it is once and for all. :)

--------------------

brajac said:
I am trying to determine if a correlation exists between the delay between FP and IL and the act of applying 90 days before 5 years of GC. Did you apply 90 days before or after the completion of 5 yrs on GC?

brajac,
I applied 85 days before 5 years of GC...

Cheers,

Is interview letter on the way?

I checked my case status online today and I am getting the following message -

"The status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center."

Does this mean that the interview letter is on its way or is an indication of something ominious?

Thanks.

P.S. The no. of positings on this thread is dropping drastically. Please keep posting to keep the thread active and appear on the front pages.

--------------------
06/20/2006 - Mail Dt
06/23/2006 - Rcvd Dt (88 days prior to 5yrs on GC)
06/23/2006 - Priority Dt
06/30/2006 - Notice Dt
07/07/2006 - Appl Receipt Rcvd
07/10/2006 - FP Letter Rcvd
07/28/2006 - FP Dt:
08/31/2006 - Case status disappeared online.
?????????? - IV Letter Rcvd
?????????? - IV Dt
?????????? - Oath Dt

Our (my wife and I) online info also disappeared today August 31, 2006. Strangely, I got my FP notice before receiving the appl. receipt.

06/30/2006 - Mail Dt
07/05/2006 - Rcvd Dt (87 days prior to 5yrs on GC)
07/05/2006 - Priority Dt
07/05/2006 - Notice Dt
07/19/2006 - FP Letter Rcvd
07/25/2006 - Appl Receipt Rcvd
07/21/2006 - FP Dt:
?????????? - IV Letter Rcvd
?????????? - IV Dt
?????????? - Oath Dt

Civic test during interview?

Hello,
When I did the FP, I did not take the civic test because the person administered the test took the day off that day.

I will be taking the civic test during interview in Baltimore. Do you know how the civic test will be conducted during interview? Will the 10 quesetions be in multiple choice or not? will it be asked by the interviewer or will I be handed a piece of paper with questions on it?

If you have taken the civic test during interview in Baltimore, please advise.

I appreciate your time in advance,

rockville2006 said:
Hello,
When I did the FP, I did not take the civic test because the person administered the test took the day off that day.

I will be taking the civic test during interview in Baltimore. Do you know how the civic test will be conducted during interview? Will the 10 quesetions be in multiple choice or not? will it be asked by the interviewer or will I be handed a piece of paper with questions on it?

If you have taken the civic test during interview in Baltimore, please advise.

I appreciate your time in advance,

When my wife and I went to Baltimore, the civics/english test was conducted orally at the start of the interview. Format is simple - answer six out of ten civics questions randomly selected by the IO's computer, read out a printed sentence and write down a spoken sentence.

Consequences of rescheduling interview date

We are expecting our second child on Oct 21. I got the interview letter today for Oct 17 at 2 pm. Needless to mention I am contemplating a reschedule of the interview for my wife. But at the same time I am having second thoughts about it because we are returning to India permanently on Jan 8 (we have tickets). The rescheduled date is usually at least a month away. If it becomes too late she may not be able to get the US passport and PIO cards on time.

The other risk factor is the interview time. I am almost sure the oath will be on a different date since 2 pm is the cutoff for the same day oath ceremony. Usually the oath date is a month after the inverview. We can still get the US passport and PIO card done on time if the oath happens around Nov 20 and we get our naturalization certificates.

To me the options in order of desirability are -

(a) Talk to doctor and induce labor so that she gets discharged by Oct 15 to attend the interview on Oct 17. It will be difficult post partum but not terrible.
(b) Leave things as is and pray that the baby comes after Oct 17.
(c) Send a request for rescheduling the interview and hope that the rescheduled date is no later than a month away.

I don't think we should skip the scheduled date due to time pressure. It may sound like a personal decision but I would appreciate any feedback for my situation.

--------------------
06/20/2006 - Mail Dt
06/23/2006 - Rcvd Dt (88 days prior to 5yrs on GC)
06/23/2006 - Priority Dt
06/30/2006 - Notice Dt
07/07/2006 - Appl Receipt Rcvd
07/10/2006 - FP Letter Rcvd
07/28/2006 - FP Dt:
09/07/2006 - IV Letter Rcvd
10/17/2006 - Interview at 2 pm
?????????? - Oath Dt

Received Interview Letter

Just an update of my timeline (see below). Both of us were given the same time for the interview - 8:40 a.m. Would we be interviewed by the same officer? Does the Baltimore DO still offer same day oath ceremonies, i.e., if everything is cleared?

Brajac, I would just leave the date as it is scheduled for now - unless the due date is actually close to the IV date. I was in a similar situation last year when I had my final dissertation presentation for my doctoral program. My wife gave birth 4 days after.

06/30/2006 - Mail Dt
07/05/2006 - Rcvd Dt (87 days prior to 5yrs on GC)
07/05/2006 - Priority Dt
07/05/2006 - Notice Dt
07/19/2006 - FP Letter Rcvd
07/25/2006 - Appl Receipt Rcvd
07/21/2006 - FP Dt:
09/07/2006 - IV Letter Rcvd
10/24/2006 - IV Dt
?????????? - Oath Dt

With an 8:40 am interview you are sure to have the oath the same day. May not be the same officer though.

Hello everyone. While getting ready to file my N-400 application I descovered that I have dual A#s. The first one was from my EAD while I was on OPT portion of my F1. The second one is from my "Green Card" (obtained thru marriage to USC). From reading some threads on this forum I gather that having multiple A#s might delay my oath ceremony.
Is there anyone on this forum tha has a recent experience with filing N-400 and having dual A#s?
Should I put both A#s at the top right hand corner of each page of the N-400 application (in the space reserved for A#)?
Or should I just specify the A# on my "Green Card" and leave it up to USCIS to resolve this issue?

Any comments would be appreciated.

FYI: I will be mailing my application to the VSC next Saturday (90 days prior to my 3 years as a permanent resident). My USCIS District Office is Baltimore, MD and the closest FP location to me is the one in Glenmont.

Simply mention the one with the green card application because the earlier A# was on a non-immigrant status. The green card's A# is the proper identifier in immigrant status. You are claiming naturalization on the basis of your green card and not OPT.

brajac said:
Simply mention the one with the green card application because the earlier A# was on a non-immigrant status. The green card's A# is the proper identifier in immigrant status. You are claiming naturalization on the basis of your green card and not OPT.
Brajac, thanks for the reply. The reason why I asked my question is that I have seen posts where persons have had oat ceremony delayed. It was at the interview that the officer noted that other A#s are associated with the applicant and so he needs to request those associated files to consolidatee with current file. That is what I would like to avoid. I was curious as to how others with 2 A#s filed their N-400 and not have the oat ceremony delayed.