Baltimore N-400 Timeline

I have FP coming up at 100 S.Charles street. Could someone provide directions. Is there parking nearby? How is the traffic in the morning?
If your FP is on a weekday don't waste time trying to find street parking. Put your car in a garage. It costs between $12.00 - $25.00 per day depending on the garage. I found parking 1 building from the FP building on Charles St. itself. The FP center is in the Bank Of America building.

Baltimore Oath Ceremonies on Mondays?

Does any one know if Baltimore DO conducts Oath ceremonies on Mondays?
My interview is this Monday at 9 am and was wondering if I can take the oath same day?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help...

Name Change during Interview

Hello,

I would appreciate if someone help me with following 2 questions:

1)
I want to have my wife's last name change but did not mention in N-400 form at the time of sending it. Can she do it during interview? Is there any affect on having oath same day in baltimore?

2)
Also, I had changed my son's last name after sending N-400 application via local court. The name change for son has been approved from local court but we still not have informed to GC or SSN office. Thinking of using the name change certificatie at the time of getting the passport for my son (after we get citizenship)- so that the new name appears in US passport and then no need of informing to Green Card authority. Should I mention son's name change while our n400 interviewing?

Regards.

Does any one know if Baltimore DO conducts Oath ceremonies on Mondays?
My interview is this Monday at 9 am and was wondering if I can take the oath same day?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help...

They didn't run late ceremonies either Mondays or Fridays last year. Sometimes they will schedule one at 9am, but obviously that isn't going to help you much.

They didn't run late ceremonies either Mondays or Fridays last year. Sometimes they will schedule one at 9am, but obviously that isn't going to help you much.

Thanks for the reply Boatbod.
Not that it matters really when I take the oath but you just want to get over with it and also don't want to take time off again and again.

It clearly shows USCIS don't care about peoples' time.

Maybe, however many DO's don't offer any same-day oath opportunity, and some only schedule ceremonies once every 2-3 months, so at least some percentage of people in Maryland get fast service.

Thanks for the reply Boatbod.
Not that it matters really when I take the oath but you just want to get over with it and also don't want to take time off again and again.

Marylander99,

Just to put it in perspective for you, I live in Delaware, next state over and am lucky to have Philadelphia as my DO. There is a 3-4 months wait between Interview Date and Oath Ceremony.

I just had my interview on May 8th with an Oath is likely to be on September 6th "or later". And no choice of 9am or an the afternoon.

You guys in MD are really lucky.

N-400 Balitmore filing

RD: 1/8/07
PD: 1/8/07
Finger Print notice rcvd: 1/22/07
FD: 1/30/07
IL: ???
ID: ???

Anyone with similar dates and still waiting for interview letter or got interview letter?

Cheers!

I am done. Read my experience.

Synopsis:
Service Center: VSC
DO: Baltimore, MD
Priority Date: Nov 6, 2006
FP Done: Nov 30, 2006
IL received: March 16, 2007
ID: May 10, 2007
Oath: May 10, 2007

A. N-400 Application Experience:
I filled out my N-400 carefully. I sent it via USPS Priority Mail. (Next day delivery, with return receipt). Total Cost $16.25. I have seen several posts from people here that the delivery was not received by the Service Center. That is why I always send stuff to USCIS via Priority Mail on a Saturday so that they can receive it on Monday. I stapled all pages of my N-400 together. I did not use ACCO fasteners. I mentioned my Traffic Ticket on N-400. It was NOT DUI related and the total fine was less than $100.00. Part 9 (Information about your children) for the current address I put "With me" instead of my home address because the instructions state that.

The mistakes I made on my N-400:

1. I signed my abbreviated name on the last page instead of my full signature.
How this was resolved: The officer during the interview said that was not a problem.

2. I put my A# on the back of the two photos but did not write my name as required.
How this was resolved: The officer during the interview said that was not a problem and made me write my name with a pen on the front.

Observations: I do not recommend FedEx, UPS etc. because people have reported problems. Use USPS.

B. Finger Print Experience:
My Finger Print was done in the ASC in downtown Baltimore. I prepared for the test as well.
When you go in the receptionist checks your FP appointment letter, your GC and your hands to make sure that there are no cuts etc.

Then the receptionist gives you a form to fill out with your personal details like name, height, weight, address, place of birth etc.

Then you take the completed form, along with your FP notice and Green Card back to the receptionist, where they stamp your FP notice and give everything back to you along with a number. Then you wait for your number to come up on the screen and get your FP done. The FP technician
will take your GC, FP Notice and the form you just filled out.

They scan the bar code on the FP notice and all your information comes up on the screen. They compare that with the form you filled out.

My advice: keep your hands loose otherwise the FP does not come out right and also apply lotion on your hands for a few days before the FP so that
your hands are smooth and finally make sure that there are no cuts.
After FP they gave my GC back and I mentioned that I wanted to take the test. They took my GC back and asked me to wait in another room.
In that room there were 10 chairs and 5 people already there. I sat in one of the chairs and waited. On each chair were the 100 questions along with
answers so that people can prepare for the test. For some who had not studied this was the time to do it.

I waited for more than 1 hour and people were getting impatient. The officer told us that if we did not want to wait we could leave and take the test during our Interview. He was rude. After waiting for nearly 1.5 hours the test was given.

He took the Prep material away and give us the questions.

It is a written test. There are 10 questions for the History/Civics part and while you are taking the test the officer goes to each person and asks
them to write a sentence in english and read an english sentence. The 10 History/Civics questions are multiple choice with 4 answers to each question and with one correct answer. Any day the written test is easier that the verbal because if you fail the test during your FP you can always take it during the Interview but if you fail it during the Interview, you case will be delayed. Also you are less tense during the FP. The History/Civics questions are from the 100 questions and not the new one. You have to get 6 out 10 correct to pass.

After the test he graded them and went to another room to print the results. He gave each of us a copy of our result which he said we need to take to our
Interview and returned our Green Cards.

I made sure that the Green Card returned was mine and also made sure that the result sheet had my name and A# spelt correctly.

Observations: Taking the test during the FP is an iffy thing. There are no guarantees. My mother had an FP on a Saturday and the test is not given on Saturdays.
Also I confirmed this: You have to take the test on your FP date. You cannot come later to take it.

You can take your cell phones but they insist that you turn them off. Kids are allowed during the FP but not during the test.

You can go earlier than your appointment time. For example, if your FP is at 11:00 AM you can do it at 9:00 AM. Some people have claimed that you can even go a day or two earlier or later than your FP appointment date. I don't know about that. Also the FP notice has a bar code, so make sure that your FP notice is not torn, mutilated etc.

For FP I parked in the Arrow garage and paid $12.00 for the day. It is on Charles Street and very close to both the FP Center and the INS office.

C. Document collection for Interview:
I used the sticky posted for collecting documents. http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=197782
I called the court where I received my ticket and they no longer kept ticket information more that 5 years old. However, they gave me a screen print.

I called the IRS and requested tax transcripts. I went to the state taxation department and requested state tax transcripts.
I also took my actual tax
returns along with W-2 to the interview.

I went to the MVA (Maryland Vehicle Administration) and paid $12.00 to get a certified copy of my Driving record.

I requested a Status letter from the Selective Service Administration.
I got an employment letter from my employer and also took pay stubs.
I took my SS Card, Interview letter, all Passports , Drivers license, birth certificate and my MS degree as well.
I took utility bills, marriage certificate and bank statements and extra photos as well.
I took photocopies of some of the important documents and took extra photos and pencils and pens.
I tool my I-20 etc. to the Interview as well.

The mistakes I made while collecting documents:
At first I filled form F-4506 and paid $39.00 per tax return to IRS. That is not needed. All you need is the tax transcript. The tax transcript is free and
takes 10 business days to arrive. The tax return (F-4506) is expensive and takes 3 months to arrive!! and is NOT needed.

Observations: As you can see I took a lot of documents. Maybe it was an overkill but I went with the mindset "more documents than less".
These documents can take some time to collect so I would recommend starting out as early as possible, because once your FP is done you can get your IL very fast. (Case in point: My brother applied for his citizenship in Sacramento, CA. He got his IL 3 weeks after FP).

I made photocopies of several documents because sometimes you are asked for it and finding a photocopier is not easy.

D. Interview Experience:
My interview appointment was at 10:00 AM. I knew where the building was and also knew where I was going to park. The Greg Fallon building is very close to the FP center in downtown Baltimore. I reached by 8:00 AM.
Note: Cell phones, pagers, blackberry, computers, cameras are allowed.
But you will have to declare them.

I dressed professionally (No Suit or tie) but conservatively.
For Interview I parked in the Charles St. garage and paid $12.00 for the day. It is on Charles Street and 3-4 blocks away from the INS building. Like my FP I should have parked at the Arrow garage but I missed it.

I was directed to Room 103 where I gave my appointment letter to the receiptionist.
Note: Go to the restroom in Room 101 BEFORE going to room 103.

I was called immediately and I thought, WOW!!. But the lady was just asking me whether I took the test during the FP and I said yes. She asked me to wait.

I waited till 9:45 and was called for the interview. The officer asked me to raise my right hand put me under oath.

The officer went over my N-400 and asked for a copy of my Marriage certificate. Then she asked me where all I worked. Even before the 5 year period. She said she wanted to know if I had worked for my GC sponsoring employer and I said yes.

She asked me write my name in block letters on the front of my photo with a pen.

She make me write my name on the Last Page of the N-400 (Part 13 and Part 14). I wrote in block letter as she had requested.
She said she was recommending me and asked if I wanted to take the oath the same day. I said yes.

She gave me 2 sheets of paper.
One said I was approved and the other said I had my oath at 3:00 PM the same day.
She walked me out. I was done in 10 minutes.

Observations: Take documents, including photocopies, and dress well. There were some people who were dressed in T-Shirts and Jeans. That is a no-no.
Kids are allowed for the interview. Same day oath is iffy. Your interview has to be concluded successfully by morning and there has to be oath that day.
I did not ask which all days oath are held. On Thurdsay's oath is there. In the oath there was a gentleman who was interview at 2:45 PM on May 9 and he was with me on May 10 for the oath. So I don't believe oath is a big deal in Baltimore.

I did NOT take a pen. And that was a mistake because for the oath you have to fill out and sign. However, I took pencils which was not needed.

Oath Ceremony Experience:
I went out and waited till 1:30 PM went back for my oath in Room 101. I filled out the back of one of the forms which asked if I had committed crimes etc.
We waited till 3:00 PM in room 101 and then went to the 7th floor for the actual oath.

They took the form we had filled and our GC and gave us a packet of information. Then we had to stand up and face the flag while the National Anthem was being played.

Then we said the pledge of allegiance (standing up). Then we said another oath (also standing up).

Each of our names was called out and we were give out Naturalization Certificate and a US flag. They asked us to check the Certificate for errors and we were done. It was 4:05 PM. You can take photos here. Family is allowed. We were a total of about 75 people in this room.

Observations: Family is allowed during the oath. Potographs are allowed but only here. If you bring a camera declare it at the front gate where there is a sign wwhich states " No Cameras Allowed".

Oath is an easy process and takes a total of 1 to 1.5 hours.
After the oath there is a good change you will get stuck in the downtown traffic. So be patient and happy.

You have to sign the Naturalization Certificate on the front in black pen. You need to sign the full signature.

Resources I used:
1. The Rajiv Khanna Web Site.
2. A book by the title: "Becoming a U.S. Citizen: A Guide to the Law, Exam & Interview by Attoney Ilona Bray. 3rd Edition.
The book costs $24.99 but you can get it at any library.

N400Applier,

You mentioned screen print from the traffic court. What does the screen shot say/show.
Basically they pull up the ticket on the computer screen and print that out. That is a screen print. Screen Prints are used when the ticket is several years old and they don't keep old records anymore.

Congratulations N400Applier, very detailed experience with good tips, Thank you for posting your experience. I have one question though on being asked where you worked before the 5 year period.

I am assuming that you had not listed the name of the sponsoring employer on your N-400, right? Also, did she simply ask whether you worked for the employer on your GC Petition (yes/no type), or wanted to know more details and see some papers (How long did you work and when/why did you leave etc.)?

Thanks in advance and enjoy a little more peace of mind.

Congratulations N400Applier, very detailed experience with good tips, Thank you for posting your experience. I have one question though on being asked where you worked before the 5 year period.

I am assuming that you had not listed the name of the sponsoring employer on your N-400, right? Also, did she simply ask whether you worked for the employer on your GC Petition (yes/no type), or wanted to know more details and see some papers (How long did you work and when/why did you leave etc.)?

Thanks in advance and enjoy a little more peace of mind.
The officer only asked for previous employer's Name, Dates when I worked there and what type of work it was. I was not asked the address of the employer.

Yes, you are correct I had not listed the name of my GC sponsoring employer because that was more than 5 years ago. She went back several years in the past as far as my employment goes. In fact more than 10 years in the past!!

She was interested in only knowing whether I worked for the GC sponsoring employer or not. (I know that is an issue with some people). It was yes/no type of question.

NO documents were asked for. I was not asked why I left.

The officer only asked for previous employer's Name, Dates when I worked there and what type of work it was. I was not asked the address of the employer.

Yes, you are correct I had not listed the name of my GC sponsoring employer because that was more than 5 years ago. She went back several years in the past as far as my employment goes. In fact more than 10 years in the past!!

She was interested in only knowing whether I worked for the GC sponsoring employer or not. (I know that is an issue with some people). It was yes/no type of question.

NO documents were asked for. I was not asked why I left.

Thank you for the reply N400Applier, congratulations again. :)

Congratulations N400Applier. All the best.
Thanks gg11. I wish you all the best. I have seen your previous posts and realized that many people are "stuck" in various stages of the Citizenship process and are simply waiting.

The process does end and can be frustrating.

Be patient and all will work out.

My Interview Experience at Baltimore

I had my Interview at Baltimore this morning.

Similare experience to many other people on the board had.

I went to the office about 30 mnts before the interview. There were about 12-13 more people who had come before me. Gave the letter the receptionist, even without looking at me she said "Take a seat, we will call you".
Waited for about 45-50 mnts...
USCIS officer called...Introduced herself...

Basically she went over allmost entire application, asked the same questions...

Took may be 2-3 minutes.

Since I had taken a trip outside US after I filed my N400, she added that information on the application.

First she asked me to read a sentence from a page then asked me to write a simple sentence on the same paper.

Then she printed a paper and asked me those civic questions...
Since I answered first six correctly she didn't proceed after the sixth.

While doing this she was explaining what we are doing ...

Then she said "Congratulations" you have passed the english, civic test...and I will recomend your application for approval.

Unfortunately today (today happend to be Monday) we have no oath ceremonies but you can come either Tue/Wed/Thu at 3 PM for oath.

If you can't do it then we will send you a letter in next 2 weeks and will be scheduled your oath in next six weeks.

I said I will come on Tuesday.

She gave me an appointment letter for the Oath ceremony for Tuesday (Tomorrow) and I think I was out of her office in about 10 minutes.
Most of the people were coming out in 10-15 minutes. Today there were 4Interviewing officers.

Only documents she asked me were
1. Green Card
2. My current passport
3. Driving License

Overall "no problem, no glitches" experience. I wish I could have taken the oath immediately after the Interview so I don't have to drive 45 miles again on Tuesday.

Congrats!!

Congrats N400Applier and Marylander99!! Thanks for posting all the detail and
experience of interview process.

N400Applier, Thanks for helping all the members by answering the questions
in various previous posts. I am in the process of collecting the document
and please answer the following question.

I went to the state taxation department and requested state tax transcripts.

Did you visited State Taxation department of Maryland online and
requested state tax transcripts? Appreciate, if you can post the link for
Maryland state taxation department. I did some Google search and
couldn't find the exact link.