Bad news...

vMd and Pork chop

hi
There r tons..what I did was enter "ins restructuring" on goggle,and read every URL that came up
also :www.usvisanews.com
www.immigration-law.com
www.infitime.com

And village md..yes u r rt..I\'d like to go back..but I wish the Indian Govt wd enforce something like they did in CHina,and stop people from having tons of babies...fighting for resources has led to all the problems of r country..

What Indian Government?

The old dumb a... who cant even speak are ruling the country
We need a drastic change
Politicians can only be ones who have a degree (Not a fake one) and are between the ages of 40-55
Older than 55 and you cannot be a politician

easier said than done my friend

...for eg,out of all the educated,young dynamic guys,who opts for a political career...unlike in the US...I mean seriously..wd u want to be one??I know I dint..and I know noone who is young,educated and well off already (they have to be well off,else they will want more and more money,leading to the never ending spiral corruption) - we need guys like the late Rajiv Gandhi,Madhav rao scindia,etc....

at least in India, you have a democratic process...

in pakistan, on the other hand, the democratic process has been interrupted so many times that, whenever there is "democracy", the politicians who come in know they only have a limited time in which to pillage and plunder before they get kicked out by the military. so much so that, whenever there is a military coup, the people actually breath a sigh of relief ... and therein lies the real tragedy.

uninterrupted democracy is a continuous weeding-out process, where one could hope that each new breed of politician would be an improvement on their predecessors... or am i excessively naive?

Between the devil and the deep sea

Yes, SDey and PorkChop, you\'re both right - politicians have destroyed our country. We are truly in a " na ghar kay na ghaat kay " situation . Few of my software friends had to go back to India - haven\'t heard from them since. Both mine and my wife\'s entire families are happily settled in India - so we probably won\'t be too sad if we have to go back. Yet, it\'ll feel like defeat if we have to go back because of INS\'s refusal to approve our application . Who knows what\'s right and what\'s wrong ? Guess the only thing to do is to keep working till legally allowed here in the US and see which way the wind blows.

that\'s the difference b/w india and pakistan...

I can\'t think of anyone, at least in my circle of aquaintances, who is truly "happily" settled in pakistan, or perhaps i should just say karachi, my hometown.

of course, pakistan faces all the problems that india does, but i believe we have managed to add quite a few of our own. most of them spring from the fact that the common, decent, hardworking people of pakistan have been completely disenfranchised. despite whatever anyone would like to believe, pakistan is, and always has been, an oligarchy. the common man is completely subject to the whims of the ruling clique, which has been in power since pakistan came into being. the primary component of this clique is the landed feudal class, and their flunkies that make up the largely self-serving bureacracy. i would go so far as to say that this ruling clique thwarted any efforts at communal reconciliation in the years leading up to independence and division in 1947, and fomented much of the turmoil in areas that became pakistan (e.g. kahuta, feb 1947). one just has to read the works of true historical researchers like ayesha jalal and h.m. seervai, who do not put any "official spin" on their recounting of history. as events immediately following the creation of independent india demonstrate, specifically, the ending of absentee-landlordism in that country, the pakistani feudal aristocracy had shown remarkable forsight.

an objective and irrefutable proof of the power that the feudal class wields over pakistani policy is that all feudal landowners are exempt from income tax!

quite early on, in 1958, the feudal rulers of pakistan invoked the support of the army to stifle popular dissent, and since then, the pakistan armed forces have become the second component of the oligarchy. normally, the pakistan armed forces are content to live their country-club like cantonments, and lord it up with domestic servants paid for by the tax-paying salaried class and businesses, and play with their big-boy-toys, also paid for by tax money. sometimes, though, events will cause army to assume the role of primary ruler, as has currently happened, when the last elected prime minister refused to stay off the army\'s toes. the precedent for this, after all, was set by the feudals themselves.

so, is it in the interest of pakistan armed forces to see the kashmir dispute with india solved?

often, some "malcontents" will attempt to take on the system. if they are religious zealots, the government will help deflect their zeal into areas outside pakistan (e.g. afghanistan, kashmir). if, on the other hand, these malcontents (for want of a better word) turn their attentions to the domestic situation, they are brutally crushed (witness events in karachi, early 1990s).

what never changes is the lot of the common people. they continue to toil under the latest burden placed on them by their rulers, trying to make ends meet, to live with some semblence of dignity, often which is denied them by the powers that be.

I know this is hardly the place for expounding all of this, so i will get off my soapbox now.

I confirmed belgate is from VSC.......

This person\'s info has been loaded from the list of a VSC guy who was maintaining a "list of july 2001 approvals" and was manually maintaining the list.Probably, the info was entered by mistake.I apologize on behalf of that person.I can\'t change the info now as it is going to send out e-mail to everyone.But, definitely change it tonight.
Thanks
Greaty-k

I can see your point of view

Dear PorkChop,
Though I\'m from India ( and Hindu ),I\'ve had the rare privilege of travelling in Pakistan all alone for 5 days in 1992( as a Pakistani Muslim - this pseudo-identity was recommended by my Pakistani Muslim hosts - for my "hifazat" )and I saw that people are just the same everywhere. Karachi to me looked just like Bombay and Lahore was like Old Delhi ( the predominantly Muslim part of India\'s capital city ). The common man is definitely suffering for no fault of his while politicians are bending facts any way they like for furthering their own ends. I wish good people had the guts to become politicians but we don\'t. Besides, even if we did, we would probably turn corrupt ourselves. All we can do is express our views anonymously. I hope Mr Khanna won\'t mind our using his forum for non-immigration issues but dil ko bahut tasalli milti hai if we can express our views now and then. "Aur bhee gham hain zamanay mein, gham-ey immigration kay alava".

thanks, villageMD...

... for your thoughts. i am happy to hear that you were able to visit pakistan, and you had friends who were concerned about your \'hifazat\'. someday, i hope to visit india, too. interestingly, the two indian cities you mentioned have a special significance for me: my father was born in old delhi, and my mother in bombay. i grew up listening to fond tales of my parents growing up, which mentioned cities like calcutta, simla, mussoorie, nainital, dehra dun, nasik, matheran, panchgani, mahableshwar, and a few others that i can recount... my father was quite proud of the fact that he lived in the same locality, balli maran, in old delhi as mirza ghalib.

thanks to our respective politicians, india and pakistan might as well be on different planets.

you quoted the great pakistani poet faiz... i have two couplets by him for you, which are so reflective of the situation with india and pakistan (i hope my roman transcription will make sense):

]hum ki thehre ajnabi itni mulaqaton ke baad
]phir banen ge ashna kitni mudaraton ke baad
]kab nazar men aae gi be-daagh sabze ki bahar
]khoon ke dhabbe dhulen ge kitni barsaton ke baad

take care.

p.s. mr. khanna, thank you for this forum... hopefully, i won\'t post any more poetry :)