Bad interview experience in SFO !

dudo88

Registered Users (C)
Bad interview experience in SFO !

I had my interview today. Bad experience...!!:(
I went to the office at 1:30pm (my appointment was 2:35pm)
After two hours waiting, I was finally called at about 3:35pm, there were no people in the waiting room, obviously I was the last person to be interviewed.

My interview officer's name is Nazeer.
He was impatient and unhappy during the whole time.
I could feel he was in a bad mood after all day's work in his office.

I brought a lot of evidences of my true marriage to US citizen with me to show him, but he didn't even want to see them!
I tried to explain some mistakes on N-400 I filled, but he would not listen to me, he felt annoying!
He did give me a rough time during the interview! He made me more and more nervous by his unhappy and impatient attitude.

He gave me the form N-652 which said:
"You passed the tests of English and US history and government.
"Please follow the instructions on Form N-14"
(B) A decision cannot be made about your application.

On Form N-14 which said:
Examination of your N-400 shows that additional information, documents or forms are needed before your application can be acted upon, Please Return This Letter With Requested Information and/or Documentation by 7.06.07

"Please submit proof of marital union. Examples of such proof include the following:"

1. Copies of health and car insurance
  2. Copies of both spouses driver's licenses or IDs
  3. Vehicle registration for all cars
  4. Credit Card account statements for last three months
  5. Rental agreements for the last month
  6. Bank checking and saving statements for the last three months for all accounts, join or separate.
  7. Residence phone records
  8. Current Payroll statements for both spouses
  9. Passports showing joint trips
  10. Copies of all pages of all passports
  11. W-2 forms for both spouses
  12. Tax returns for the year 2006 and W2s for past 3 years if not previously submitted
  13. Any other proof showing that you have lived together as husband and wife during the satutory period. Where appicable, financial records should reflect activity within the most recent six month period.
  14. Provide list of all trips outside the US which included your spouse,include complete dates, destinations
  15. Complete and updated record of all trips outside the US. Include dates left and returned, destination, reason for trip. All trips during the Statutory Period. --> What does "Statutory Period" mean?
  16. Sworn Affidavit explaining your decision of change your last name, dropping your husband's last name

This officer marked the whole things that he wanted me to submit to him.
But me and my husband doesn't have ALL of these documents.
My husband and I are not rich. My husband was just graduated from college, he's still looking for a full-time job now.
So We don't have a car and health insurance, joint credit cards account, and our banking accounts are separated.
I have my CA ID with me, but my husband lost his CA ID (he still has his FL DL)
I don't think we have enough time to receive his new CA ID after we renew it.... it takes 60 days to receive it (said on the DMV CA webpage)

Can I submit his FL DL and my CA ID to that officer?
What is Rental agreements? Does it mean "Rental Lease"?
What is Residence phone records? Does it mean "Phone Bills"?
What is Sworn Affidavit ? Does it mean the "court order of my name change"?
I changed my last name back to my maiden name before sending N400. I spent almost $300-$400 to follow all the court process, reported my new name on newspaper, hearing....It took me 1 to 2 months to get the court order of my name change. I would like to keep my maiden name as my last name because I am the only child in my family. My Asian family would like me to use my maiden name as my family(last) name. Is this reasonable? In fact, Asian women usually don't take their husbands' family names as their last names after they get married.

Should I provide EVERYTHING that the officer marked to him?
Where should I submit them? SF Do on 630 Sansome Street?
How should I submit them? By mail? Or in person?
After I submit those documents, How soon will I get an Oath letter?

Please help~~~I'm really confused and worried.:( :(

PS: The Bold Text are the items that I am confused and don't have with me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY N-400

DO: SFO
N-400 mailed to CSC: 10.30.06
N-400 received at CSC: 11.01.06(priority)
$400 Check cashed: 11.08.06
N-400 NOA issued: 11.09.06
N-400 NOA received: 11.15.06
NOA FP issued: 11.13.06
NOA FP received:11.16.06
FP appointment: 11.18.06 ( taken electronically in 20 min.)
Cleared FP Sent Back From FBI to USCIS: 11.19.06 (Called FBI to check)
Case status disappears: N/A
Interview ND: 5.01.07
Interview Letter received: 5.03.07
Interview: 6.06.07 ( 2:35 pm)
Oath:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this appears a little harsh, but one great big red flag jumps out to me... you and your spouse have drivers licenses from different states, yet claim to be living together? I'm not surprised the IO gave you a hard time.

So assuming your marriage is legitimate, I suggest you get together as much stuff as possible that shows you really do share a life together.

Thanks for Sharing you experince dudo88 .I agree there were many read flags in you application.Different DL and chagin name back to maiden.Anyways hope this helps

Can I submit his FL DL and my CA ID to that officer? RED FLAG AGAIN
What is Rental agreements? Does it mean "Rental Lease"? YES
What is Residence phone records? Does it mean "Phone Bills"?YES should have both of your names in it.Or any other utiliy bill for last 3 months
What is Sworn Affidavit ? Does it mean the "court order of my name Y change"? No just type up letter stating why you want to keep your maiden name and not your sponsering husband's.Get it noterised.
Do you guys have any kids together?
How long have you been married to him.?
Can you elaborate what lead to all this addtional requests ?:eek:
Also take evidence and drop it off in person.

You say you brought evidence of your bona fide marriage to the interview, but that the officer refused to see it. What kind of evidence did you bring with you?
I assume you've been married for at least 3 years, what have you been living off all these years? I guess you have to have some sort of financial tie. The way you state your case and your lack of mentioning any specific about the evidence you have of a bona fide marriage makes me understand why the officer could be suspicious.
I would think that if you had already collected some hard proof of bona fide marriage it could probably be good to submit alongside the other documents (this is just my personal opinion). By the way, the long list doesn't mean you have to provide everything. Those are just some examples on how you can prove your bona fide marriage. Although on second read of your post it seems that the officer asked you for everything, or at least you think so. Still, perhaps he marked it just to show you the kind of documents you need, not everybody has all those documents, as not everybody have a car, for example.

You've been married for at least 3 years (as your N-400 is based on it) but still do not have joint banking or credit card accounts? Why is that?
Driver's licenses from 2 different states?
The worst of all, why did you change your last name to husband's in the first place if you were planning to change it back?

There is no wonder why the interviewing officer became suspicious. I think even most people here would have doubts about the legitimacy of your marriage. You'd better start collecting as many documents on the list as you can.

Huracan,

I brought the original tax returns we filed together for 2004,2005,2006, and also brought the original tax retuen trascripts for 2004, 2005, 2006 that I asked from IRS before.

I brought our original marriage certificate, rental lease(both names on it), family pictures, some greeting cards to us from my husband's family and my family, bills & junk mails which shows the same address where we are living together, and more....

But the thing is, that officer Nazeer didn't want to see them at all!
He just wanted me to submit those documents I had to them again even I had them with me at that moment!

We've been married for 3.8 years.
We've been living together since Sep. 2003, Never separated!
No kids, we are still young (both are 25 years old)

But we are too poor to have a car and health insurace in CA.

2 Questions:
All trips during the Statutory Period. --> What does "Statutory Period" mean?
Where can I get Sworn Affidavit notarized? Does it take long time to process?

Thank you guys!

Huracan,

I brought the original tax returns we filed together for 2004,2005,2006, and also brought the original tax retuen trascripts for 2004, 2005, 2006 that I asked from IRS before.

I brought our original marriage certificate, rental lease(both names on it), family pictures, some greeting cards to us from my husband's family and my family, bills & junk mails which shows the same address where we are living together, and more....

But the thing is, that officer Nazeer didn't want to see them at all!
He just wanted me to submit those documents I had to them again even I had them with me at that moment!

We've been married for 3.8 years.
We've been living together, never separated!
We have no kids, because we are still young.(both are 25 years olds)

We are too poor to have a car and health insurance in CA.
Also we have no joint account, but we filed Joint Tax Returns evey year since we got married.

Two Questions:
Where can I get Sworn Affidavit notarized? How long will it take?

Thank you guys!

2 Questions:
The statutory period is the 3 years residency time between getting your GC and applying for N-400.
Where can I get Sworn Affidavit notarized? Does it take long time to process?

You need to find a Notary Public - many real estate offices have one, plus numerous other locations. Sometimes you'll see a small sign in an office window saying they have a notary available.

Unfortunately now it is a bit late for this advice, but hopefully it will help to someone else:

Yes, it can happen that at the end of a long day the interviewing officer is extra tired and impatient. I believe in that case one has the recourse to ask politely for the supervisor and explain the situation to the supervisor and show the documents you bring with you. You can potentially ask for the interview to be rescheduled or to send additional documents later (as in your case).

Now your best choice is to provide the requested documents. For your questions:
1. I believe statutory period in your case means the last 3 years (to be on the safe side count 3 years before you sent your application). For regular 5 year applicants it would be the last 5 years. It wouldn't hurt to collect information of the last 5 years, but I think in your case it is just the 3 years because you're applying as spouse of U.S. citizen.
2. It shouldn't be hard notary publics in this country are a dime a dozen ;) I'm kind of kidding, but they shoudn't charge you much for the service to notarize the document (off the top of my head less than twenty dollars). Do a search on yellow pages for notary public. It should take a few minutes to get it notarized, depending on how busy is that business. On the other hand I haven't had the experience of notarizing a document for USCIS before, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

We used to have joint Bank accounts from 2003 to 2006, but we have different ways to spend money, so we decided to separate the banking accounts.
My husband is living in CA with me the whole time.
He came from FL to CA to study. He just lost his CA ID, but he still has his FL ID. We will renew his CA ID at DMV next Monday.

Hi,
I got another question.

The officer wrote "Complete and updated record of all trips outside the US. Include dates left and returned, destination, reason for trip. All trips during the Statutory Period" on the form N-14.

the Statutory Period means the 3 years residency time between getting my GC and applying for N-400

So do I still need to submit other trips before I was a GC holder during the past 5 years?

Thanks again.

That's the part where we don't think you need to. They care about 3 years before you applied, which in your case seems to be about the same as since you got your green card. However, the N-400 form asks for trips in the last 5 years (I think this is due to trying to cover both cases, the 3 year marriage based and the regular 5 year based). I still don't think you need 5 years, and 3 years trips should be enough for you. However, if you want extra peace of mind and there are no extended trips in the period between 3 to 5 years ago you could include this info too.

Dear Huracan,
Thank you for your advices.
I will send 5 years(2006,2005,2004,2003,2002) travel information to them.

Most of the bank will have a person who can notarize...
Also, you might have a seperate account now... Was the old account which you mentioned above is still active... Then you can get statement for 3 motnhs and show it to them.

Let me get this straight. So sometime last year, you separated your joint account from your husband's and change your last name back to maiden name? You might have a legitimate reasons for doing so but for an average person who doesn't know your motivation, that sounds too much like you are ready to get separated. I am even thinking that submitting bank statements could potentially hurt your case futher unless they are from an active joint account.

Sworn affidavit can be prepared in front of any notary. AAA is a good place to find one and I think they charge $10 for a single notarization. You'll have to be extremely careful with this one. The reason why IO asked for a sworn affidavait is so that USCIS would have a irrevocable record of your statement. If they find any evidence that contradict your statement, you'll have no recourse to fight the charge. So make sure whatever you say on the affidavit is 100% truth and nothing but the truth.

And the statutory time refers to only during the time you were a permanent resident. Whatever travels you did before you obtained your green card does not matter for the purpose of N-400. So gather plane boarding passes, car rental agreements, hotel check-in receipt etc that show both you and your husband were travelling together during the last 3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax and try to get your documents organised. The officer may have been rude but you have no reason to panic. Just show proof that your marriage is valid. The tax returns and utility bills are big plus points but never send his FL DL, you may damage your case by this innocent mistake.
From what I see the list of documents is just a suggestion so if you don't have certain insurance papers don't worry. Send the docs that show you shared an address.
This asking for documents to be mailed is a common thing especially when the IO doesn't have time to look in detail during the interview. Some people here have been asked to send complete copy of passport when the IO wanted to look at all travel dates.
Good luck.

Hi All,
Thank you for your advices!

We have made an appointment with DMV next Monday to renew my husband's CA ID because he just lost it. He did have one before.

Do you guys think if I send a copy of my husband's CA ID Renewal Receipt will work too? because it will take a while to receive the new id...

Me and my husband went to notarize the Sworn Affidavit which my husband agrees to my decision of my last name.
We both signed our names on the Sworn Affidavit Letter in front of the lawyer and paid him $20 for an offical stamp and his signature to prove it.
Hope this works....

Do you guys think the documents that I am gonna re-submit to them will be checked by the same officer? Or might be checked by other officers? Thanks.