Backup Extensions Useless!!!! all read this important information

nato

Registered Users (C)
Everyone read this important information Backup Extensions Useless!!!!

upto 6th year having H1-B status makes sense
The H1-B extension backups beyond 6th are useless as per yates memo.
Are there cases where an alien, who has been granted an H-1B extension beyond the 6th year, will nonetheless only be allowed to remain for the 6-year maximum period of stay?
Answer: Yes. As addressed in the April 24, 2003 guidance memorandum, USCIS is required to grant the extension of stay request made under section 106(a) of AC21, in one-year increments, until such time as a final decision has been made to:
A. Deny the application for labor certification, or, if the labor certification is approved, to deny the EB immigrant petition that was filed pursuant to the approved labor certification;

Deny the EB immigrant petition, or C. Grant or deny the alien’s application for an immigrant visa or for adjustment of status.

If at any time before or after the filing of the single (combined) extension request a final decision is made on the above-stated grounds, the beneficiary of the extension request will not be entitled to an extension beyond the time remaining on his or her 6-year maximum stay unless another basis for exceeding the maximum applies.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12551

Can an H-1B temporary worker “port” under §105 of AC21 (INA § 214(n)) from one employer to another even after the alien’s I-94 or last approved petition has expired as long as he or she is still in a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General”? Answer: Yes. Under certain circumstances, an H-1B alien may still be able to port to another H-1B employer even after the alien’s I-94 or last approved petition has expired. In order to port, however, such alien must meet all the requirements of INA § 214(n), including the requirement that the new petition be filed while the alien is in a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General.” USCIS has previously determined and issued guidance explaining what constitutes a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General.” One example would be: Alien is in H-1B status. Employer A timely files a non-frivolous extension of the alien’s H-1B status. Alien’s original petition, approved for Employer A, expires during the pendency of the extension. Alien is then in a “period of stay as authorized by the Attorney General” while Employer A’s extension is pending. Employer B then files new petition and alien wants to port to Employer B. Under INA § 214(n), the alien should be permitted to port because he or she is in a “period of stay as authorized by the Attorney General.” In other words, porting under INA §214 does not require that the alien currently be in H-1B status as long as he or she is in a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurus / others thinking H1 bkup helps, comments valued, if you agree, if disagree why

agree

AGREE. It is good for the employer as you can not change your job. I would rather use EAD because it allows change of job.

folks keep this thread live by posting A/not agree, so that all can do correct action

pras01 said:
AGREE. It is good for the employer as you can not change your job. I would rather use EAD because it allows change of job.

Confused!

My 6 year will end in November 05. I-485 is still pending and I have an approved EAD till April 06. I am so confused whether to get H1 extended for a year or to swittch to EAD. If according to the memo HI becomes useless after a decision is made, than why extend HI???????

I kind of agree. But confused too.

RAK67 said:
My 6 year will end in November 05. I-485 is still pending and I have an approved EAD till April 06. I am so confused whether to get H1 extended for a year or to swittch to EAD. If according to the memo HI becomes useless after a decision is made, than why extend HI???????

I kind of agree. But confused too.
H1 after 6 years and even EAD at any time are useless if the final decision on 485 is negative (wish that situation will not arise).

Since your EAD is valid till April 06, it would be better to switch to EAD and extend EAD if necessary before April 06.

Last edited by a moderator: