background verification.

jumhu

Registered Users (C)
Hi, Guys,
    I am curious to know if INS will and how they verify the credibility of your supporting documents.
    I just got PhD degree and started post-doc position. I have quit a few paper published and won several minor awards. However when I consulted some lawyers here, they told me I did not have strong NIW or EB1a case. It is very annoying because my two close friends, one graduated with MS two years ago and the other fresh PhD without any journal publication already got I-140 approved. Since we are close, they told me to be aggressive in the application. For instance, they said you could ask your friend to email you to invite you for the section chair of a conference, or you can make up something to say you have reviewed some paper....
    It doesn\'t sound right to me, but it\'s kind of impossible for a fresh PhD to reach at least two criteria of NIW: 1) be senior member of academic organization; 2) review or judge other\' work. When I am annoyed by this, I found out more and more guys I know well got green card smoothly, although they are not much more competitive than I am.
     Anybody has comments?
     Thanks a million for the hints!

a naive man

reviewer

You can ask your advisor, professor... to invite you to review the confence papers in your field. Since you\'ve published several papers, you could be qualified for that.

No Title

If your employer is willing to sponsor your case, then go for EB1-OR. Since you have quite a few publications (I assume peer reviewed International Journals) and few awards in your field. This should be OK. OR will be better than NIW. You do not have to be a reviewer of journals etc. It would be a plus point if one is, but I140 would normally not be denied because of lack of that qualification. So, don\'t worry.

Alternatively, if you think you fulfill, EB1-EA, you could file without the sponsorship of your employer.