Background & Namecheck Timelines for AOS

hariom

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
I applied for AOS in June 2007 under EB2 category(Also current for the september bulletin).Got FP Done on 08/08.Does anyone know when the checking process is initiated?Is it the same week of FP?What is the normal turnaround time from fbi?And also how frequently do i check about my background/name check with USCIS?

I see lot of threads about contacting Laura Bush,congressmen,senators etc.Hope I dont want to go through that hassle..

Is Infopass is the best way to find out regularly?Calling the 800 number doesnt help me much everytime.Is there a way to directly reach the IO handling my case instead of the frontdoor people who basically ready the same case status as the one available on USCIS website?

Went for the Infopass Appointment today afternoon.Came to know that my background check is pending.As per the IO it as initiated on 08/04 (4 days before my FP).I am seeing a good number of approvals for the cases applied in June.Is there anything I can do to expedite this Background Check so that I dont miss the Approval boat?Dont want to be stuck in the checks forever..wonder what USCIS/FBI do in the checks, which takes years for some people...Hoping to get out of this GC mess soon.

Hi Hariom,

The FBI background check is normally initiated about 2 weeks after the I-485 is filed. This name check can be completed within 6 months unless you become "stuck" in the process. The FBI conducts a very extensive search into a person's background, looking into where you have been and what you have done basically.

If you do have the unfortunate luck to become stuck in the name check, the best way to get yourself out is through a WoM lawsuit but this process can still take months in itself. Normally, a person should not file a WoM unless the name check has been pending for well over a year.

Lastly, you do not have to contact various senators or congressmen, but it is helpful to contact Laura Bush because that letter will most probably be forwarded to the FBI. It definitely doesnt hurt to have a few letters requesting assistance for your case should you choose to file a WoM. Hope this information helps!

Regards,

Justin

I dont know what is the avg time for name check, but i got I-485 approval in just 61 days.

I dont know what is the avg time for name check, but i got I-485 approval in just 61 days.

That is a good scale to measure against. I guess if everything happens in the normal course it takes 2-3 months. With the flood of 485's in July it might take longer for the name checks from FBI. Everything else seems to be happening quickly or in line with the 2-3 month period. Otherwise it may take years.

Conditinality Concurrent or consecutive to NC delay?

Hello all,

I am new to this whole concept so preemptive pardon for a misuse of jargon.
I have been stuck in NC for the last year. AOS by family. Does anyone know if the conditionality of the GC is concurrent to the delay, or consecutive? I mean, if I get my GC two years after the interview would it be permanent or conditional for another two years? Also, if I get the GC before two years have elapsed (one can hope, right?) would it be conditional for the remainder of the 2 year period or does the clock start again?

Thanks for keeping such a kickass informative portal. This is one vibrating community.

Confusing letter from TSC - Please help me understand it!

Folks,
I am really worried about this letter for USCIS TSC.
Received today ( 09/10/2007)
Postmarked (09/06/2007)

I did call them sometime in July to find out about my receipt numbers.I got the numbers by speaking to an IO on the phone and my attorney received the 485 receipts which she sent to my home address.

Is my processing delayed to background/name checks?

or becoz USCIS thinks it cant deliver Receipt Notice to my address (Non-Delivery of Receipt Notice)

Saturday, August 25, 2007

MyFname MyLname

My Address

Dear MyFname MyLname:

On 07/16/2007 you, or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case. Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:

Caller indicated they are: Applicant or Petitioner

Attorney Name: Information not available

Case type: I485

Filing Date: 06/18/2007

Receipt#:

Beneficiary (if you filed for someone else): Information not available

Your USCIS Account Number (A-number): Information not available

Type of service requested: Non-Delivery of Receipt Notice

The status of this service request is:

The processing of your application has been delayed. All petitions/applications received by this Service are required to have routine security checks that are resulting in delays of the adjudication of petitions/applications. We can give no definite indication of when they will be completed. We apologize for the delay.

If you have further questions, please call the National Customer Service center at 1-800-375-5283.

U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Hariom,

All this letter means is that your are still undergoing a background check. You are still well wtihin the normal processing times for the name check. It is still too early to tell if you are "stuck" in the name check or not.

immigration4all,
I really hope you are correct.I hope this letter is nothing serious to be worried .Look at this post on a different forum.All other things being the same how can this person get approved before mine.His/her RD is 2 days after mine.His/her FP is a week after my FP (08/08) So how come his/her NC got cleared before mine.I fail to understand the sequence of events.Are they not same for everybody?

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/...74093861&m=1191072151&r=3341039451#3341039451

Called TSC today.Same response as before..Name check pending since 08/04.
I am closely following the approval trend at TSC.For anyone at TSC,you applied in the month of June on or before June 21st 2007 and dont have name check problem,You will hear good news this week.TSC is superfast in approvals guys..They are already processing June 2007 cases.Wish they did something about namechecks/background checks too

This is what I understand regarding the background/name checks.

1. USCIS sends an electronic list to FBI for security checks.
2. FBI runs the list thru their systems and do a systematic search. If the search does not show anything bad, they report the results back to USCIS saying everything is OK.
3. If anything questionable comes up in the search, they have to do a manual verification. This is what takes the most time.

If you are not lucky and your case is flagged for manual verification, it goes to the back of a long queue. The limited resources that FBI has dedicated for this manual verification, they do it FIFO. So depending on how big this queue is, it could take a looooong time.

I called fbi today(3046252000) to find out if I can get any info on my namecheck.But looks like fbi has stopped taking requests for Name check enquiries.The lady I spoke to told me she can just answer FP related questions and told my FPs results were sent back to the USCIS on 08/09.That explains the LUDs on 08/08 and 08/09.But after that no LUDs on my case or my wife's case.
Looks like there is not much proactive action I can take to avoid getting stuck in this namecheck mess.Just need to wait and see

well, white house is going after this problem soon. here is the official announcement from white house

"The Administration Will Reform And Expedite Background Checks For Immigration.
Current mechanisms for conducting immigration background checks are backed up, slowing processing times and endangering national security. The Administration is investing substantial new funds to address the backlog, and the FBI and USCIS are working together on a variety of projects designed to streamline existing processes so as to reduce waiting times without sacrificing security."

you can see it for yourself at http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/immigration/

My I485 is been filed with USCIS on May 26, 2006. Name check initiated on May 31, 2006. Since then I am stuck with Name check.

Initiated status inquiry in Dec06 with USCIS and got response in Jan 07 that Background check still open. Contact after 120 days.

Infopass in Jan 07 - Same check still pending.

Initiated status request inquires with 2 Senators and 1 Congressman in Feb 07. Same bullshit from FBI and USCIS - Name check not cleared and damn national shiturity issue can't be expedite. Contact after 60 days or do not contact us and we will contact you if there is an update. bullshit..

Apr07 sent FOIPA name check request to FBI and it came out clean in June07.

Jul 07, initiated another inquiry with USCIS with the response in Sep07 stating background check still open.

I believe what is left is an inquiry to FBI to expedite name check.. Any experience with that?

Do the gurus think I have enough baseline to sue USCIS for delays or there is any other tricks left?

BCS by DHS - Any idea when that will be implemented

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_bcs.pdf

That document was published Nov 2006.Does anyone know about the work being done?

On the NNCP front,This is what NNCP Chief has to say:
"We're trying to automate this as much as possible," said Michael Cannon, head of the FBI's National Name Check Program. He said the section's disruptive move from Washington to Frederick County, Va., also hindered work in 2006.

Cannon said the completion of a new Central Records System and progress toward a long-delayed, $600 million FBI computerized case-management system will help. "I can't give you a date certain when all this is going to come to fruition. My best guess is 2010," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/16/AR2007061601360_pf.html

180 Timeline, not sure when will go into effect

With many name check cases pending heard on some websites, USCIS is going to take action on the cases pending ove 180 days. What action, not sure, probably asking FBI to expedite or something...

Hope there is a way available soon to track the Name Check and Background check. There is no way other than InfoPass to get info about this.

Seems line NC and BC clearance is hurdle in the process if all is well it can be cleared in 2-3 months. My 485 is pending since 1 year with LUD and RFES... I am concerned about the NC and BC, so was wanting to take the infopass appointment. What documents does one have to carry for that? Do you think I should be worried about this being a female with family and there have been LUD on my 485.
Is the 485 activity only after the NC and BC has been cleared or can that happen at any time.
Anyone with experience please let me know.
Thanks

With USCIS recalling thousands of old green cards to renew,I guess there is big pile of Namechecks to be done again.:) This is ridiculous.Many thousands of cases will add to already huge namecheck backlog further slowing down the NNCP process.Is there an end to this insanity?