background Checking - Los Angeles

sd1234

Registered Users (C)
I was interviewed on Aug 25 in LA for Family based case.
Everthing went fine. The case was approved, but i got no stamp on passport as the Background check was pending. I was told that i will get the plastic GC in 3 months.
Its almost 2 months.

Is anyone been into or is in same kind of situation ??
How long does it take ??

WOW.
I got interviewed in early october. Didnt get a stamp.
same reason Back ground check.
No letter yet niether the card.
I am assuming they will first send out a approval letter and then order your card.
Atleaast that is what they were doing earlier.

Thx for replying..
I guess after approval letter comes, one can schedule for getting the passport stamped.
However, is there a realistic timelime ?? how about other district offices in CA ?? i guess there should be a single entity doing these background checks, at least for CA ??
Any info on the process wud be enlighting since i didn't think much about it & thought that it'll be faster process ??

Gyus,
This has been discussed rather extensively on this and other forums. You may find using the Search funciton helpful.

sd1234 said:
Everthing went fine. The case was approved, but i got no stamp on passport as the Background check was pending. I was told that i will get the plastic GC in 3 months.
Its almost 2 months.

How long does it take ??

how did you know it's because of background checking pending? And you sure you heard a plastic GC in 3 months?

My wife and I were interviewed in LA also, in May. Seems to be approved, but "IP pending" as written by the officer. I found out by myself that it means "name check" or something like that, because the officer was too busy that day to explain to me further--we were late for my interview also. I sent inquiry letter to BCIS LA office 60 days after interview, no response. Went in to LA office in August, waited in line for 4 hours to talk to somebody, was told it's still waiting. But that person told me to come in again after 6 months of my interview, and they might stamp my passport on the spot, no matter the name check thing over or not... I was utterly confused and frustrated. Then I called, emailed FBI, emailed congress man in september 2004, till today, nothing.

I was never told anything about plastic GC though... I even suspect I was approved or not now. Am i approved? Anybody?

I551 Stamp Pending Background Checks

I did my AOS in NYC. Interviewed on 8/5/04, and was told background checks pending, and in a month's time it should be complete and I would get a mail stating when to get my passport stamped.

on 10/22/04 got that letter for passport stamping appt. on 12/3/04. So It took 2 1/2 mths after my interview to get the letter. So still hold on out there, once the checks clear, you will get the letter. ;)

Details of paper that i got after interview

Its titled "ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS INQUIRY RESPONSE FORM". It seems to be a standard photocopied form with USCIS stamp on Left & address of LA office on right.
I guess it means FBI + other checks......

There are total 14 Sr #s on the single page. In my case, Sr # 5 & Box # 3 are checked.
Below is the Exact wording as it says on the letter_
5. (CHECKED) Your Application for adjustment of status is currently pending:
- (NOT CHECKED) receipt of FBI RAP sheet/Updated RAP sheet
- (NOT CHECKED) completion of a new fingerprinting clearance. Your appointment notice is attached.
- (CHECKED) Background Security Check (certain necessary security checks may take more than 90 days to complete. If only this security block is checked off by US CIS, you may inquire about the status of your case after 90 days from this response.)

Strange I never got a letter.
All I got was a letter asking me for some extra documents which I duly submitted the same day.
The letter was taken by the officer.

sd1234 said:
Its titled "ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS INQUIRY RESPONSE FORM". It seems to be a standard photocopied form with USCIS stamp on Left & address of LA office on right.
I guess it means FBI + other checks......

There are total 14 Sr #s on the single page. In my case, Sr # 5 & Box # 3 are checked.
Below is the Exact wording as it says on the letter_
5. (CHECKED) Your Application for adjustment of status is currently pending:
- (NOT CHECKED) receipt of FBI RAP sheet/Updated RAP sheet
- (NOT CHECKED) completion of a new fingerprinting clearance. Your appointment notice is attached.
- (CHECKED) Background Security Check (certain necessary security checks may take more than 90 days to complete. If only this security block is checked off by US CIS, you may inquire about the status of your case after 90 days from this response.)

Thank you. I guess they changed their form. What I got called "adjustment of status notice", and they didn't mention on mine about: - (CHECKED) Background Security Check (certain necessary security checks may take more than 90 days to complete. If only this security block is checked off by US CIS, you may inquire about the status of your case after 90 days from this response.). Now I understand why you said 3 months.

At least it's good to see that they are improving their standard forms...

Good luck to us...

What's mentioned/checked on the paper u got after the interview ??? how many total Serial #s are there ???
I guess i wud wait for another month before i start inquiring about it......

------------------------------------------------------------------
itsjustmeok said:
Thank you. I guess they changed their form. What I got called "adjustment of status notice", and they didn't mention on mine about: - (CHECKED) Background Security Check (certain necessary security checks may take more than 90 days to complete. If only this security block is checked off by US CIS, you may inquire about the status of your case after 90 days from this response.). Now I understand why you said 3 months.

At least it's good to see that they are improving their standard forms...

Good luck to us...

sd1234 said:
What's mentioned/checked on the paper u got after the interview ??? how many total Serial #s are there ???
I guess i wud wait for another month before i start inquiring about it......

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine has 8 items, no sr #. None was checked. Officer hand wrote on it: IP pending, and she draw a squre in front of it, and checked that square.

I guess after using this form for a while, officers were too tired to write down "IP pending" or "name check" etc, so they changed this notice, and put the sr. # 5 as you mentioned...

sd1234 said:
Its almost 2 months.

How long does it take ??

I had my interview at LA district office on Sep 16 - AOS couldn't be approved becuase still awaiting backgorund check.

By mail received AOS approval as of Oct 12. Received Green Card Oct 28.

I suggest you fax the following number:

FBI Name Check Inquiry Fax (202) 324-3367

And state your:
Name/DOB/A#/Ph#/Addr#/Email/Fax

Mark it attention of Agent David Hardy (head of the Records Management Division).

They will fax/email you your background check status within 3-4 weeks. It is not unknown of the background check being not started or left lying on an INS desk without being sent to FBI. This way you will know what is happening.

Hello,

Here is my experience with the FBI background check.

Our receipt date for the I-485 is August 28, 2001. On May 11, 2004 my husband was asked for fingerprints. On May 13, the FBI sent the results back to our local INS office.

On June 28, 2004, we had our interview. My husband's passport was not stamped because his name check was not complete.

I made several congressional inquries and was told the I-485 approval was pending an FBI name check. After three months of waiting, on September 28, 2004, I e-mailed, wrote and faxed the FBI headquarters. THANK YOU DUKHI FOR THAT INFO!!! Also, on October 7, 2004 my husband made a personal visit to INS to receive his interim EAD, his 4th!! He was told by an INS officer he was still in name check and "it can take a while". He was also told once it is cleared, INS makes a decision quickly.

On October 20, 2004, I received a response back from Mr. David Hardy stating that my husband's name check along with 2.7 million others was initiated January 6, 2003!! NEARLY TWO YEARS AGO!!! On October 22, I e-mailed Mr. Hardy back and told him of our long wait.

On October 28, I received another response from Mr. Hardy stating that the name check is now complete and the results were forwarded to INS on October 25,2004.

SO, now the ball is back in their court. We hope to hear a decision very soon.

ANy thoughts, people??

RD August 28,2001
EAD #1 October 2001
AP #1 December 2001
EAD#2 October 2002
AP #2 December 2002
Name check initiated January 6,2003 (this is very interesting as it is the POE date at JFK airport after my husband and I left the country for a trip to visit his family)
EAD #3 October 2003
Fingerprint May 11,2004
Results of fingerprints May 13, 2004
Interview June 28, 2004
Interim EAD #4 October 7, 2004
"permanent" EAD #4 October 25, 2004
Name check complete October 25, 2004
I-485 approval?????

When this is all said and done, hopefully soon, I would like to share our INS experience. Inga, like you, I have written letters on a consistent basis.

Kiska

I emailed FBI on 9/29/04, one day after you. Resent that email 10/25. So far, no response from Mr. Hardy... After reading you guys' posts, I immediately printed out that email and sent to that fax just now. Hopefully I can hear something back from FBI.

Anyway, I know my last name is popular, 50 million, i guess. Maybe that's the reason?

Oh, maybe I should ask my wife, the USC to write that email and send? Will that matter? Maybe they treat their citizens with priority?

itsjustmeok,

If your wife is a USC and a registered voter, I would have her write on your behalf. I have taken it upon myself to write and make personal visits to my congressman. I started a little over a year ago with this endeavor when I was 8 months pregnant.

I don't think my husband has a very popular last name, but he is from the former USSR, so that may have something to do in his long background check wait. I have heard that Commonwealth countries are processed faster. Then again, we are being processed in Charleston, SC which has one of the slowest processing times of all district INS offices. I just hope when that green card comes in the mail, it's the permanent 10 year one and not some mix up!!

Kiska

Last edited by a moderator:
alect said:
I had my interview at LA district office on Sep 16 - AOS couldn't be approved becuase still awaiting backgorund check.

By mail received AOS approval as of Oct 12. Received Green Card Oct 28.

I suggest you fax the following number:

FBI Name Check Inquiry Fax (202) 324-3367

And state your:
Name/DOB/A#/Ph#/Addr#/Email/Fax

Mark it attention of Agent David Hardy (head of the Records Management Division).

They will fax/email you your background check status within 3-4 weeks. It is not unknown of the background check being not started or left lying on an INS desk without being sent to FBI. This way you will know what is happening.

I need some help about FAX to FBI. Do i need to mention about results to be sent to me (as in template below)? or if there's a simpler version of letter ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To:
David M. Hardy, Chief
Record/Information Dissemination Section
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535
Fax: (202) 324-3752

Sub: PRIVACY ACT REQUEST

Dear Mr. Hardy:
Under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. section 552 and the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. section 552a, please furnish me with copies of all records about me indexed to my name or my identifying information, maintained in the Central Records System (CRS).
To help identify information about me in your records systems and/or programs, I am providing the following identifying information:

Full Name: John Doe
Date of Birth: January 1, 1981
Place of Birth: Tokyo, Japan
Social Security Number: 123-45-6789
Current Address: 123 My street, City, State Zip
Home Phone Number: 555-555-5555

If you have any questions about handling this request, you may phone me at 555-555-5550 (day or evenings). Please respond to: John Doe, 123 My street, City, State Zip

Sincerely,
Signature
John Doe

Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1746, I certify under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct and that I am requesting release of my records to myself.

Executed on [date].
Signature

========================================================
THE ABOVE LETTER IS for FOIPA. -------- edited Nov 19
========================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Inquiry for result of Name check sent

E-Mailed the following to fbinncp@ic.fbi.gov
Lets see how it goes...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir or Madam,
This is in reference to the NAME CHECK, that was initiated by USCIS Los Angeles district Office. I was interviewed on xx-xx-xxxx.
I would greatly appreciate if you could please inform me the status of my Name Check.

Here is my information:

Last Name:
First Name:
Date of Birth:
Alien #: A xxxxxxxxx
Address:
Home Ph # :

Should you have any questions, Please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx, or email at xxxxxx@xxxx.com

Thank you.

Sincerely Yours

11/17/04, I got a response to my name check inquiry email (sent 9/29) from FBI, saying that there was an error when USCIS sumbit my case, and I need to contact my local CIS office to have them resubmit.

Question, how should I contact LA local CIS office, other than a infopass appointment, and waste my whole day in downtown? Will contacing my congressman help on this?

Thank you for any help.

itsjustmeok said:
11/17/04, I got a response to my name check inquiry email (sent 9/29) from FBI, saying that there was an error when USCIS sumbit my case, and I need to contact my local CIS office to have them resubmit.

Question, how should I contact LA local CIS office, other than a infopass appointment, and waste my whole day in downtown? Will contacing my congressman help on this?

Thank you for any help.
---------------------------------------------

If i were in ur position, I wud take a Infopass appointment asap to have them resubmit the Name Check + start contacting Congressman to get in touch with INS as even after the Resubmit, you just wanna make sure that INS did re-submit CORRECTLY.

Congressman's office wud write a letter to USCIS Distict Office, LA & then follow up with both INS & FBI.

EXPERTS :- Pls help............

At Infopass appointment on Dec 2nd, i was told that case is pending for FBI checking. The lady showed me a printout about the status which had my details. Relevant info was_
- Date case sent to FBI for name check - 15 March 04
- Date processed by FBI - 20 March 04
- Status - Pending