Background Check vs Name Check

madiba

Registered Users (C)
I am told that I am in FBI background check now. Is this different from FBI name check and does everyone who goes through one also go through the other. If so, which one happens first, BC or NC. I am just trying to figure out which one is worse in terms of waiting period.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

There is the FBI fingerprint check and FBI name check. Background check could be either of them as both are types of background checks. I don't know which one is initiated first, but the fingerprint check almost always is completed first (FP check takes a couple of days, instead of a few months or even years for the name check).

Does anyone know what it means when they say that name check is clear, but background security checks are pending?

There are 3 types of checks FBI uses:
1) IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection Services)
2) Finger Print
3) Name Check

I think all three can be considered generally as "background checks", so you may have cleared only part of the background checks, not all.

There are 3 types of checks FBI uses:
1) IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection Services)
2) Finger Print
3) Name Check

I think all three can be considered generally as "background checks", so you may have cleared only part of the background checks, not all.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/security_checks_42506.pdf

The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check
IBIS is a multiagency effort with a central system.
USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately.

FBI Fingerprint Check
....the FBI forwards responses to USCIS within 24-48 hours.

FBI Name Check is only longest procedures, the others fast and take maximum several days

How would an applicant know if the IBIS or the FP has been cleared? Because the results certainly don't show on the LUD (or do they??). The last time I had a LUD was 2 days after my BIO appointment, and it only stated that my I-485 has been received. It has been 5 moths since, and no more updates.

The new Feb 2008 memo, which everyone is so excited about, states something to the effect that if the Name Check has been pending for more than 180 days, and if that's the only thing which is holding up an application, then the application should be approved. However, the OTHER condition for approval is that the IBIS and FP MUST be cleared. I have always been told by the IOs that USCIS that there is no way for the USCIS to know which "check" FBI is working on.

So, if the USCIS doesn't know which "check" FBI is working on, how would they know the IBIS and FP have been cleared?