Background Check vs Name Check

tsr1974

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I received letter yesterday from USCIS for my enquiry I made in Feb 1st week.

It says my applcation is not ready as background check is still pending. And also says I should contact them again after 6 months, If I don't hear back from them.

What is that mean? Is it same as name check or different?.
is it ok to contact Senator/Congressman on this.

thanks

background check ...

tsr1974,

My application is also undergoing "background check" in texas service center. I had asked the operator if background check is same as name check. She said they are different.

I had posted this same question in the texas service center forum. From what I learned there it looks like the background check is done by CIA to check for criminal record.

Can you tell me how you filed an inquiry with USCIS? I also want to do it. (I could not find any info on the USCIS website for making a written inquiry)

Thanks.

same kind of reply I got for my recent Status of Inquiry. Looks like it is pretty much standard message they are sending.

TSC05 said:
tsr1974,

My application is also undergoing "background check" in texas service center. I had asked the operator if background check is same as name check. She said they are different.

I had posted this same question in the texas service center forum. From what I learned there it looks like the background check is done by CIA to check for criminal record.

Can you tell me how you filed an inquiry with USCIS? I also want to do it. (I could not find any info on the USCIS website for making a written inquiry)

Thanks.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.
Does that mean our Name Check is done or NC is after Background check?

I followed these instructions and said my case is out of processing time, the rep told that she is going to open an enquiry and took all my info.

1800-375-5283
Press 1 (for english),
press 2 (for existing case),
press 6 (for case statues etc),
then press 1( for knowing your receipt no.),
enter the receipt # to get the automated response saying blah blah blah and also at the end saying this is the most upto date information on your case and our customer the same info national customer service agents have (i totally agree with this).
Then choose to continue to the next step "press 3" . choose 3
Listen to the options-
Option 4 "if you feel if you submitted together and one of the applications is left out and not processed (don't remmember the exact message text ..but something about companion case "

tsr1974,

Thanks for the info. I dont know about the status of the name check. But my best guess is it is finished.

Following my call to USCIS customer service, I got a reply by mail from the DHS yesterday regarding my pending I485. My PD (Jan 14 2002) became current in April 2006. The reply read as follows

"Type of service requested: Case status - Outside Processing Time

"Based on the request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer service at the number provided below"

Does it mean my case is stuck in name check, or is it something else? This message is different from the standard reply that some have received. Has anyone got a similar message? What happened after that? Any approvals, decisions, nothing? The last time my lawyer checked the status in October 2005 he had found out that my case was stuck in name check. Please advice,

Sanindia

EB2, NSC
PD: Jan 14 2002
RD: July 2003

Hi Sanindia,
I got same reply 2 weeks ago by mail. My PD is current in May and I have been stuck in Name check for last 14 months.

UB
EBIOR India
I-140&I-485 RD: Jan 2005
I-140 approved: March, 2005
Name check pending since Feb 2005

sanindia said:
Following my call to USCIS customer service, I got a reply by mail from the DHS yesterday regarding my pending I485. My PD (Jan 14 2002) became current in April 2006. The reply read as follows

"Type of service requested: Case status - Outside Processing Time

"Based on the request we researched the status of this case. We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from us within 6 months of this letter, please call customer service at the number provided below"

Does it mean my case is stuck in name check, or is it something else? This message is different from the standard reply that some have received. Has anyone got a similar message? What happened after that? Any approvals, decisions, nothing? The last time my lawyer checked the status in October 2005 he had found out that my case was stuck in name check. Please advice,

Sanindia

EB2, NSC
PD: Jan 14 2002
RD: July 2003

I think Name Check and Background Check are the same

I know I read that there are a couple of layers of checks in place. I spoke to my para-legal recently and she confirmed that the Name Check and Background checks are the same ie there is only one FBI check.

I hope so. However I recollect reading somewhere on the Form that the security check(if it is right to call it so) is the checks done for the employer and attorney for any fraudulent cases applied earlier or the employer having been pulled for immigrations(bench salary not paid) voilations etc.

Again this may not have been an educated post but a guess or hear-say posted by the original poster.
--Naveen Ohos

supply_demand said:
I know I read that there are a couple of layers of checks in place. I spoke to my para-legal recently and she confirmed that the Name Check and Background checks are the same ie there is only one FBI check.

But that should not be a huge drag for VSC

even if that is true that should not be a stretch for VSC..its not like it should take ages..

THe main bottleneck is the FBI check..in my case on officer did look at my actual file and say that all information VSC needed from FBI they have received but theie systems have not been updated(this was late February)...

and since then everytime I call I am told that my name check is pending..

Not sure whats going on...

noshs said:
I hope so. However I recollect reading somewhere on the Form that the security check(if it is right to call it so) is the checks done for the employer and attorney for any fraudulent cases applied earlier or the employer having been pulled for immigrations(bench salary not paid) voilations etc.

Again this may not have been an educated post but a guess or hear-say posted by the original poster.
--Naveen Ohos

I just called USCIS and I was told that my name check/security check is still pending with FBI :( . Backgound check/security check/Name check from FBI is the same.
UB

I'm afraid I won't get any specific answer if I call USCIS. Most of the people who have information about their case status when they called USCIS seem to be from CSC, just an observation, may not be true. I'm from the dreaded black hole of information called NSC.

I just called the USCIS customer service number and asked about the "additional review". I was told as expected that they do not have any more information about my case. One more query goes into the black hole and absolutely nothing comes out.