Background check on I-140?

Newhope2005

Registered Users (C)
Since it's been nearly three months i replied my RFE on Nov 3rd, 2005 (I-140 applied in September, 2005), i have not heard from NSC. So i called last Friday and talked with a representative over the phone. She was nice and told me that she would post a notice in the system regarding my case which seemed to be delayed (they are processing Dec. 2005 cases now).
Today i got an email regarding my inquiry, saying that my case was delayed because of background check not finished. I was told to check back in another 6 months!
I thought background check only for I-1485?
never heard of this for I-140 as well.
Anyone any ideas?
TIA.
:mad:

I replied my 140 RFE in NSC on August,2005 (Originally filed on May, 2004), still no news. I made inquires to them too. NSCIS responsed to me one month ago they need 6 more months. I almost give up my hope.

Yes they do.

Newhope2005 said:
Since it's been nearly three months i replied my RFE on Nov 3rd, 2005 (I-140 applied in September, 2005), i have not heard from NSC. So i called last Friday and talked with a representative over the phone. She was nice and told me that she would post a notice in the system regarding my case which seemed to be delayed (they are processing Dec. 2005 cases now).
Today i got an email regarding my inquiry, saying that my case was delayed because of background check not finished. I was told to check back in another 6 months!
I thought background check only for I-1485?
never heard of this for I-140 as well.
Anyone any ideas?
TIA.
:mad:

CIS runs its own background check on every type of application including I-140. This check is named IBIS (Interagency Border Inspection System), it includes databases from over 20 agencies.

NIWwaiting said:
I replied my 140 RFE in NSC on August,2005 (Originally filed on May, 2004), still no news. I made inquires to them too. NSCIS responsed to me one month ago they need 6 more months. I almost give up my hope.
In my case, it took exactly 6 months after they received my response to RFE for I-140 petition.

I140 approved = passed name check +background check?

Could we say that if your I140 is approved, then you have passed the background check so did the name check?

Bhakum: Thanks for your answer. Would you please tell me what did you do to push USCIS to give you answer? I almost tried everything I could think, almost totally give up.

Many of my friends got their 140 approval while waiting for 485 long pending because of name check clear. Why their background does not affect their 140?

A senator made an inquiry for my long-pending 140. USCIS did not tell me the reason why 140 pending is so long, they only simply say my 140 was sent to an officer to check, however it has been more one month without any news. However USCIS also say my 485 is pending for name check. I do not think 140 long pending is due to my 485's name check.

chiron said:
Could we say that if your I140 is approved, then you have passed the background check so did the name check?

IBIS name check is an internal CIS check. It starts right after your application is accepted. They do it for both I-140 and I-485. The second security check is the FBI fingerprint check followed by the FBI name check. They are done for I-485 and are "external" meaning that CIS just sends your data to the FBI and waits for the results. The FBI checks are initiated after you have been fingerprinted. The FBI name check is one that may become the most time consuming.

Gpng_dl said:
The FBI checks are initiated after you have been fingerprinted.

Not correct.
My name check was initiated (oct 2003) one year before I first got fingerprinted (oct 2004), same for my family.

compass said:
Not correct.
My name check was initiated (oct 2003) one year before I first got fingerprinted (oct 2004), same for my family.

Well, I'm talking about current structure of security checks that has undergone many changes during last 5 years. I went through it in 2005 after the whole biometrics business was implemented. After I was fingerprinted and the results of FP review came back, I called CIS and they told me, "Ok, now we have to send your file for security check, it may take up to 90 days or even more".
I'm pretty sure that the current structure of the security checks for I-485 looks as follows:
1. IBIS name check.
2. FBI fingerprint check.
3. FBI name check.

You can take a look at Fig. 4, 'Security Checks for USCIS Immigration Forms' (Appendix C, page 43) of the attachment. I beleive they are listed there in the right order.

Last edited by a moderator: