Background Check / FBI Name Check

TH4GC said:
usrfdluj:

There are 3 checks:
1. Fingerprint check (for criminal records): fastest, cleared same day or next day if you've never been a criminal of any kind;
2. IBIS by USCIS. Valid every 90 days (increased from 30 days), then have to perform another one if it expires. Don't know the speed, but should be pretty fast.
3. FBI Name Check. Depends on your luck, it can be cleared on the same day, or 2-3 years or longer. My wife's cleared on the same day, and mine cleared in 2-1/2 years.

No CIA check any more, per USCIS internal memo.

What is IBIS?. The senator's office got back to me with a reply that I am stuck in a USCIS security.When I asked her whether its name check, she replied it was not and it seemed that she was aware of FBI name checks.

sensat said:
What is IBIS?. The senator's office got back to me with a reply that I am stuck in a USCIS security.When I asked her whether its name check, she replied it was not and it seemed that she was aware of FBI name checks.

IBIS stands for Interagency Border Inspection System. I believe this is where USCIS checks if you entered the US Legally. I hope this helps!

Is there any other checks the USCIS does....Because based on your description IBIS shouldnt apply to me.

People did a good job listing all the checks which USCIS runs. Please go back and check them!

IBIS doesn't apply to you? You are not in the US?

Mr. Green said:
People did a good job listing all the checks which USCIS runs. Please go back and check them!

IBIS doesn't apply to you? You are not in the US?

Probably I needed to rephrase my answer. Since I am in the US legally that check shouldnt be an issue. I did read through the posts. I have heard most people get stuck on name checks. Mine is in a security check with the USCIS. Thats what I was trying to get some info on.

Thanks

The good news is that you are not stuck in the FBI name check. I don't know what exactly they meant by the "USCIS Security Check", but almost all other checks other than the FBI name check get cleared relatively fast.

Relax man, we are all in the same boat. It is a big boat in the middle of no where, but atleast we are on it. Many people wish to be where we are today :D Imagine if you couldn't even get your application in like many people these days!

Mr. Green said:
The good news is that you are not stuck in the FBI name check. I don't know what exactly they meant by the "USCIS Security Check", but almost all other checks other than the FBI name check get cleared relatively fast.

Relax man, we are all in the same boat. It is a big boat in the middle of no where, but atleast we are on it. Many people wish to be where we are today :D Imagine if you couldn't even get your application in like many people these days!

Yes you are right.Thats a good outlook to go by.

Related Question

Does the FBI Name check get initiated after USCIS send the 10 fingerprints (Code-1) to the FBI? Or this is another separate check run by the FBI? If the fingerprint check is different than the name check, how long does it normally take?

FYI, when I sent my fingerprints to the FBI for the background check for Canadian Immigration, it took 2 months to clear.

Biometrics

Hi Mr. Green,

Did you ever get to go back to check if they would let you do your biometrics early? Am impatiently waiting to get mine done on Oct 19th. Although the appt is at noon, I remember reading in the forum that its best to go at 7am. Any thoughts?
Also have you received a response for FBI email inquiry? I figured I had to wait till after biometrics to email FBI....

Thanks,
Tinta

----------------
LC approved Aug 05
140/485/AP/EAD ND 9/6/05
Lud for all 9/8/05
Biometrics appt 10/19/05.

Tinta said:
Hi Mr. Green,

Did you ever get to go back to check if they would let you do your biometrics early? Am impatiently waiting to get mine done on Oct 19th. Although the appt is at noon, I remember reading in the forum that its best to go at 7am. Any thoughts?
Also have you received a response for FBI email inquiry? I figured I had to wait till after biometrics to email FBI....

Thanks,
Tinta

----------------
LC approved Aug 05
140/485/AP/EAD ND 9/6/05
Lud for all 9/8/05
Biometrics appt 10/19/05.

No, I didn't try to do my biometrics again. I decided to wait for my appointment hopping that my wife would receive her notice by then.

I didn't receive a response from the FBI about the name check either. I'm reading some conflicting information about whther the name check gets initiated before or after the fingerprints! I think we are all making guesses here :D

Are you in Seattle? They are open to the idea of just walking in to do your biometrics as long as they are not too busy!

Good luck

I'm in Cincinnati. Have no idea where the local office is and how busy it is. Plan to go check out where it is this weekend.
I am still kinda confused about the name check/fbi check time line. I guess its a waiting game. Keep us posted and good luck.