Back taxes & US citizenship

fruitybar

Registered Users (C)
Worked some under the table jobs that paid cash back in 2005 (a few months). I was on F1 then. Then went back to my home country and entered on a K3 after 3 years. Did not file taxes for 2005. I am not sure how much I made but it was a very small amount.

Have been a PR since 3 years and have always MFJ w/ husband.
It's time to apply for citizenship and there's a question that asks have you failed
to file federal taxes. what should my answer be. will i be denied citizenship? Is there a way to resolve this issue? Do I need a lawyer? If I am denied citizenship, will I lose my greencard? Please help.

Worked some under the table jobs that paid cash back in 2005 (a few months). I was on F1 then. Then went back to my home country and entered on a K3 after 3 years. Did not file taxes for 2005. I am not sure how much I made but it was a very small amount.

Have been a PR since 3 years and have always MFJ w/ husband.
It's time to apply for citizenship and there's a question that asks have you failed
to file federal taxes. what should my answer be. will i be denied citizenship? Is there a way to resolve this issue? Do I need a lawyer? If I am denied citizenship, will I lose my greencard? Please help.

The question asks if you have failed to file taxes since you became a legal permanent resident. You can answer No to that since you filed all the years after becoming a PR. So you are fine with that question.

However, you worked illegally while on an F1 student visa and you mentioned it on the k3 and as far as I understand, there was no problem with that.

taxes

The question asks if you have failed to file taxes since you became a legal permanent resident. You can answer No to that since you filed all the years after becoming a PR. So you are fine with that question.

However, you worked illegally while on an F1 student visa and you mentioned it on the k3 and as far as I understand, there was no problem with that.

Thanks for the response. How about question 5 that asks Do you owe any taxes that are overdue? Any other responses? If I am denied citizenship, would I lose my greencard? Do I need a lawyer?

How about question 5 that asks Do you owe any taxes that are overdue?
The question means 'Has the IRS determined that you owe taxes and are you in arrears of payment of said taxes.' In other words, have you received a notice from the IRS that you owe back taxes of such and such AND you have not paid them? If no (which i suspect), then you have nothing to worry about and answer to Q#5 is NO.

taxes

The question means 'Has the IRS determined that you owe taxes and are you in arrears of payment of said taxes.' In other words, have you received a notice from the IRS that you owe back taxes of such and such AND you have not paid them? If no (which i suspect), then you have nothing to worry about and answer to Q#5 is NO.

Gosh! just a small mistake from my past and it's haunting me now. I am nervous and terrified. Do I need a lawyer or I should just send in my package on my own?

Hi

Pay your taxes, like everybody else !!! Ask a lawyer !!! Do not scream !!!

I am not yelling. You're the one that is yelling. If you can't take it just move on to the next one. Your rude comments are uncalled for. I was just trying to make my post eye catching.

I am not yelling. You're the one that is yelling. If you can't take it just move on to the next one. Your rude comments are uncalled for. I was just trying to make my post eye catching.
Everyone in this site will tell you to be honest and never lie to IO as you are affirming under oath. You open your mouth and tell IO about your past deeds, you can forget about your US Citizenship. Choice is yours !!!!. Keep quiet and get Citizenship or brag about how you did not pay tax during F1.