Back Home my Homies

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
Ok I just got back yesterday and I tell you, having a GC is almost like being a citizen. I proudly stood in the U.S Citizens/PR's lines and once I got to the officer, gave him my GC and Customs form. He stamped the form in 10 seconds..not even looking at my face or asking me questions as to how long I was gone for. No questions asked. He never opened my RTD or scan it..he just scanned the GC.

When I got out of the airport at the customs line, they just saw the form thats it. This was Newark Intl airport. Also while in Europe, i travelled to Amsterdam, Germany, Switzerland and Czech Republic without ANY Visa. I was stopped by at least 3 cops in trains and airports and once they saw United States of America, they didn't care if I had a visa or not. All they cared was that I had an entry stamp in Germany.

The officer on the train(towards Switzerland) spoke in French and mentioned to themselves that "its united states issued document, its good"....They spoke in French but my wife speaks perfect french.

I think its good to have a visa if you can afford it or have time to apply it. If you don't just feel free to travel without any visa in europe. What they say at embassies here and actual police control in the european countries is totally different. All they care is that you have a valid document and having UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ON anything makes it like GOLD and gives you respect.

Also the officer didn't care if i had A RTD or a NP or an expired passport or anything. All he cared for was valid GC.

I think you may not have trouble entering USA if you travelled to home country but during citizenship time, you would have to answer if asked in an interview.

I also think that its OK to travel to home country if you need to. I am not going to even if I become U.S Citizen but those who need to, and have a GC, can do it without any problems. Having a GC, I think the way you are treated is same as every GC holder. However if you do want to travel to home country, wait at least a year after your GC so that you can have valid support for your case.

Questions: if you got caught on the train by those cops for having no visa, would you be in big trouble?

kaoticfury said:
Questions: if you got caught on the train by those cops for having no visa, would you be in big trouble?

If I had showed my NP, I would've been taken to police custody and deported next day back to my home country.

THe fact that RTD doesn't require a visa and germany accepts it, it is accepted. One cop even called somoene on his cell phone to verify that my RTD was valid document...

So yes you can get in trouble...If you have an RTD, it has a lot of value just because Germany, a western nation and one of the big-3 in europe accepts it. It means a lot.

wantmygcnow said:
Ok I just got back yesterday and I tell you, having a GC is almost like being a citizen. I proudly stood in the U.S Citizens/PR's lines and once I got to the officer, gave him my GC and Customs form. He stamped the form in 10 seconds..not even looking at my face or asking me questions as to how long I was gone for. No questions asked. He never opened my RTD or scan it..he just scanned the GC.

When I got out of the airport at the customs line, they just saw the form thats it. This was Newark Intl airport. Also while in Europe, i travelled to Amsterdam, Germany, Switzerland and Czech Republic without ANY Visa. I was stopped by at least 3 cops in trains and airports and once they saw United States of America, they didn't care if I had a visa or not. All they cared was that I had an entry stamp in Germany.

The officer on the train(towards Switzerland) spoke in French and mentioned to themselves that "its united states issued document, its good"....They spoke in French but my wife speaks perfect french.

I think its good to have a visa if you can afford it or have time to apply it. If you don't just feel free to travel without any visa in europe. What they say at embassies here and actual police control in the european countries is totally different. All they care is that you have a valid document and having UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ON anything makes it like GOLD and gives you respect.

Also the officer didn't care if i had A RTD or a NP or an expired passport or anything. All he cared for was valid GC.

I think you may not have trouble entering USA if you travelled to home country but during citizenship time, you would have to answer if asked in an interview.

I also think that its OK to travel to home country if you need to. I am not going to even if I become U.S Citizen but those who need to, and have a GC, can do it without any problems. Having a GC, I think the way you are treated is same as every GC holder. However if you do want to travel to home country, wait at least a year after your GC so that you can have valid support for your case.

Heh, as far as we are concerned, you were never gone Want :) :) :)

You kept up with us while in Europe, so it didn't really feel like you were gone.

Good to have u back in the US.

Welcome home

E

Espritis said:
Heh, as far as we are concerned, you were never gone Want :) :) :)

You kept up with us while in Europe, so it didn't really feel like you were gone.

Good to have u back in the US.

Welcome home

E

Thats called dedication. Still worried about you guys even while i am sleeping, eating, drinking, jogging, showering, shi..ok i wont go there.

wantmygcnow said:

Nice report Want, thanks for sharing! You are now officially the "master of europe", the “sailor of the great unknown”, the “Sir Edmund Hillary of Everest” :D in my book. I will definitely seek your advice when I travel there. Welcome back home!

Very nice to hear that you had great time , you waited so long that geen plastic. Prety soon you will be USA Citizen.
ALL I want just immigration to aprove my Asylum so i can start new life .
I started case in 1993,
Still fighting in courts. I love vhen I hear good stories from you guys.
car2much

Care2much said:
Very nice to hear that you had great time , you waited so long that geen plastic. Prety soon you will be USA Citizen.
ALL I want just immigration to aprove my Asylum so i can start new life .
I started case in 1993,
Still fighting in courts. I love vhen I hear good stories from you guys.
car2much

Care2much, I am praying for you my friend.

what if you dont have a GC yet, but you have I-90 and you go back home with ur NP when you return to US ur I-90 stamp expirer ? did they ask u anithing or arrest you or sent you back home ??? :eek:

wantmygcnow said:

Welcome HOME!!! I've been away from this for a while. But of course, you're around and giving supportive and helpful feedback to all who come. Bless you!

I was wondering, what are your thoughts (from hearing so many experiences) on being approved citizenship if a person is honest throughout (that is admitting that they went home for valid purposes, e.g., for a wedding) to the IO? What about if a person went the dishonest route (e.g., not telling the IO that they went home, and going home by going through 3rd country)?

Again...so good to have you back.

want,
i think it's time to change your nickname.... how about wantmycitizenshipnow ??? :D

Last edited by a moderator: