Back and forth

Lalala2701

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I have a GC for a year now.
I've been in the US twice during that year, few weeks each time.
I am planning to move to the US eventually,I just need to get a few things done first.
I've been through a lot with immigration and know a lot about it, but I still haven't gotten a clear answer as for what the law says:
I realize you have to stay in the US 180 days out of 360 in order to be eligable for naturalization eventually, but if you keep going back and forth... What will happen? I also realize that if you stay out longer than a year you have to get a re entry permit... But how long can you keep going back and forth like this within the 1 year timeline?

From what you say, it sounds more like you are a visitor to the USA than a permanent resident.

But how long can you keep going back and forth like this within the 1 year timeline?
Until an immigration officer notices your travel pattern and warns you or confiscates your green card. Which is anywhere from about 2 years (including the year you've already spent traveling like that) to 5 years, depending on how lucky you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say it's "safe" within the first two years ... but within that time frame it is unlikely you'll have a problem, and if anything happens, it's likely to be just some hassling and a warning. But once you get a warning you better not take another long trip in the near future, because they will make a note of the warning in the system so the next officer will see it.